Painted Models (Image heavy thread)

By Engrimm, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

I love what you've done! Whenever I see creativity like this, I want to repaint mine.

I love what you've done! Whenever I see creativity like this, I want to repaint mine.

Just finished Tinashi the Wanderer, have to say this is the most poorly detailed model that I've painted so far, face was entirely featureless and in some areas I wasn't sure what I was painting lol!

Anyways, here she is:

11143616_10152706652921610_8626424091499

And with Rendiel that's Nerekhall's heroes done, monsters next from Nerekhall, Deephall and Crusade of the forgotten (others are still in mail including nerekhall lieutenants)

11154663_10152707022176610_8551695866280

Am I the only one wondering why Engrimm went on a golf court green to take pictures of these wonderful minis ?

Am I the only one wondering why Engrimm went on a golf court green to take pictures of these wonderful minis ?

Lol it's my wargaming table :) and thanks :)

These are incredible, great job XD

/envy!

These are incredible, great job XD

/envy!

Thanks a lot! Working on some Changelings now.

Changelings done:

11082212_10152708934071610_1762300839904

Had some stuff to sort out but back to Descent now, and so back to painting. I received all the remaining stuff I needed so now have all the released 2nd edition models, lots of unpainted stuff now.... Collection almost doubled from the group pic above!

I should have some Golems and Dark Priests ready by tomorrow, will post pics as usual. Painted the Master golem with blue veins instead of red, it's looking nice in my opinion.

Edited by Engrimm

Here's the updated pic of the collection, so many heroes to paint ouch!

11163857_10152717796931610_5155453597536

Looking good. Show us pictures of your painted models as they gets finished. You have skill and your pictures is great reference material for when I paint my models.

Looking good. Show us pictures of your painted models as they gets finished. You have skill and your pictures is great reference material for when I paint my models.

Thanks :) I'm not a pro painter but comments like yours is what drives me on to try finishing all these models!

Edited by Engrimm

Golems done:

11154742_10152719830321610_3730357429429

How much does it cost in paint to do all those minis?

No Idea to be honest, Descent is only a very small part of my mini collection so don't think I used alot of paint. I mean I obviously used a wide range of colours, but if you had to take all the paint used and put it in bottles you'ed only have a few full bottles for the Descent models painted so far. I had bought the large box with all the new Games Workshop paints (around 150 different colours i think) and haven't needed to replace any colour while painting these.

It costs a fair amount to buy paints and sprays (undercoat). But the overall consumption of paint is not that high.

So if you buy paints just to paint a couple of miniatures it is going to be expensive. But if you buy paints in order to start painting miniatures as a hobby it is fairly cheap.

If you worry about the cost of paints you could always get the main colors and start mixing them to get the desired c o l o r . Or you could focus on a set of miniatures and get colors to paint them and if you like painting you buy more colors as you progress through your models.

That's how I started too, just bought a few colours and then kept adding as needed. The box I mentioned I got because I'm now at a point where I know I'm going to be using most of it since I have around 1900 unpainted models.....sigh :)

103 models done, 71 to go...

Dark Priests:

11165112_10152724062411610_8395902385927

Edited by Engrimm

I wish I had the time and skill to paint the minis. Great job!

I wish I had the time and skill to paint the minis. Great job!

Thanks :) Don't worry about the skill part if you find time, just jump in and you'll get better as you paint. As I've said before I don't consider my paint jobs as pro jobs or anything like that but I know I have improved A LOT from when I first started. I occasionally find a model from the ones I painted in the beginning and I just laugh at how bad they were BUT at the time I was personally happy with them and it was enough to make the game more enjoyable for me and continue painting. You never really know how good you are at painting until you try anyways, my ex's first model was fantastic compared to mine for example!

I'm working on Shiver and Trenloe the Strong now, liking how Shiver is turning out :)

Actually I already painted some minis, not from descent, tough. Mainly D&D and WoW stuff. I've got satisfied with the result, but it's far from the job you and a lot of people do. I would consider yours a pro job, no doubt.

Besides, these times are hard to find time to play, if I spend it painting, I´ll not play at all :unsure:

I only manage to paint so much and still have time for a quest or 2 every day because I'm unable to work anymore due to health problems. When I used to work (not too long ago,about 2 years now I think) I thought in the same way you did, if I'm painting I don't have time to play, so unpainted models kept piling up lol. In a way I'm glad I didn't paint them then as now I have something to pass the time with, and with around 1900 unpainted models that's going to fill my time for a looooooooong time lol.

Time is the essence here, but the hardest part is probably the motivation to get started. Especially when you don't have everything ready in front of you, and especially if Descent is not the only hobby you want to spend time on. Painting is nice, but it's work, so you need to have the right mood for it.

Then I don't think painting a figure really takes much time, basically every model requires a minimum amount of effort and you can add as much as you want to that in order to make it look nicer, but to me just applying a few shades and brushes is good enough for a result. It's the middle point between the minimum quality you want to get on the painting and the effort you are willing to spend on a miniature. But like I´ve always said to some friends of mine who thought of painting as being mission impossible, paint everything in black and the mini will look 100% nicer than the original color. Everybody can do that.

Then some minis are a real pain to paint (at least for me) and I tend to pick new ones before I explode and let the suckers stay unfinished until I gather courage again to finish them off. Like Goblin Archers and Flesh Moulders. Right now it's the Giants. I´m trying some flesh ink instead of highlights like I did before on other minis, just because I wanted to get my skills up a little bit. and I´m being punished for it by ending up with a crappy color tone.

Also, take a few shots before you start working on Skarn.

But I remember doing the Shadow Dragons, Volucrix Reavers etc very quickly.

Money-wise it's an investment. I reckon the paint, brushes, and everything cost me more than 150$ to get started. I then had to buy new brushes and some new colors that I use the most, like Black and Brown Ink. The more you get skilled, the more you want to look for these special inks also. I have one for every base color now.

Right now my painting is stopped because I made the mistake of buying FIFA15 :D

Edited by Indalecio

Shiver:

11161728_10152726294876610_5123689998375

None of the images work for me... Not sure if it's the job blocking the site the images are posted on. But if you have a direct link to an album that would be appreciated.

Really wanting to see !

Malev