What expansions are "needed"

By toru, in WFRP Gamemasters

The benefit of WFRP over EotE is that there are special abilities (actions) to the characters beyond talents and it's in a Fantasy Setting.

I like the obligations of EotE and I'd like to see that adapted for WFRP by some ambitious fan here.

I usually play with three players and myself as GM. I have played with two players, and that worked fine. Four would probably work fine as well. There is really nothing special about this system that limits players much more than other RPGs. After all, having too many players easily becomes a problem in any RPG. WFRP does have the added problem of a LOT of clutter in the way of cards, sheets tokens etc which would make it a bit more messy.

The core set is designed with equipment for three players and a GM, while the toolkit adds equipment for a fourth player, so I would say 3-4 players is the intended sweetspot.

Edited by Ralzar

The benefit of WFRP over EotE is that there are special abilities (actions) to the characters beyond talents and it's in a Fantasy Setting.

I like the obligations of EotE and I'd like to see that adapted for WFRP by some ambitious fan here.

I wouldn't really say that Fantasy is a benefit over EotE (unless you prefer Fantasy of Sci-fi, ofcourse), but it is a welcome change from all the blasters and spaceships. :P I'm an overall fan of the custom dice system that FFG has created, and I both like Warhammer and SW... so it's a win-win for me. The only (small) downside to both systems, for me at least, is that I only know a little about both universes. It takes some time to research the world you're playing in, whereas you can create an entire world out of thin air for a game like DnD. Ofcourse, one might argue that you can just drop the Warhammer lore and create your own, but I prefer my games to stay as close as possible to the established lore.

The main attraction to WFRP for me, are the components of the game (and its dice system, ofcourse). It's what makes the game unique, in my opinion. I know that the game has received a lot of flak for this, but I consider it one of it's selling points. Naturally, I can only confirm this after having played a game myself. :P

Also, I'm not really a fan of Obligation in EotE, so I've decided to drop it (I only used it to limit my payers during character creation and to help them come up with some kind of background). Obligation is something that seems to happen in any RPG, FFG just gave it a name in EotE.

By the way, do any of the adventure supplements come with additional rules, options and/or extra lore? Or are they just that: premade adventures?

Running Edge with no Obligation sounds like eating a pizza with no cheese. :)

Most of the WFRP box adventures contain interesting fluff and options. I enjoy them all for one reason or another. The 4 ruinous boxes are your best bet for rules + fluff + stuff but all of the blue boxes are fantastic as well.

By the way, do any of the adventure supplements come with additional rules, options and/or extra lore? Or are they just that: premade adventures?

All of the adventures come with extra cards of one sort or another, and generally at least some of them are things the PCs could spend Advances on.

Running Edge with no Obligation sounds like eating a pizza with no cheese. :)

Well, I do use some parts of the Obligation, I just skip the mechanics where I have to roll to see if they trigger or not. I just don't think it's logical to have my players maybe stranded on an unknown planet, and suddenly there's Bounty Hunters everywhere because that Obligation was rolled. Plus starting a session with a player suffering strain because of their Obligation, immediately ruins the surprise of that happening later on in the session. FFG's intent is good, but the execution is a bit iffy, in my opinion. :)

Anyway, regarding WFRP... is there any scenario that involves Dark Elves by any chance? One of my friends is a huge fan of them, and I'm sure I could do him a favor by having an adventure involving them.

Dark Elves appear as the third-act twist in Witch's Song. I like the adventure, but the dark elves are actually the weakest part of it.

The adventure included in Omens of War features Norscan Raiders who worship Khorne, but if you have enough elves in the party, you could probably swap in Dark Elf Corsairs who worship Kaine

Do you have the monster guide or monster vault*? That added elves that weren't in the core box. And Hero's call has Lokhir Fellheart. Both of which should help you write a dark-elf inclusive adventure of your own.

*Also, check the resources section of FFG's website if you're using the vault dark elves. They cut a card for space, but have posted it online.

*sigh* I just know I'm going to end buying all those adventures. :P

Thanks for the help, guys!

I went from buying the Core and a couple boxes to the whole, **** line in about a week of research. It happens to the best of us :)

Honestly, no matter what anyone says - it is a great game.

Just be prepared to pay through the nose for the experience.

For WFRP2 I bought most of the supplements, but didn't bother with parts I didn't have any interest in at the moment. Then the line got cancelled when WFRP3 launched. Now I'm stuck with a rpg system with holes. So for WFRP3 I just decided to buy everything. I might not be interested in using everything right away, but one day I might suddenly need rules for something I hadn't considered earlier, and then I'll be annoyed if I didn't have it :)

Yeah, it was out of fear that WFRP 3e will run out of stock completely (sooner than later), that I've gone crazy with my intro purchase into the game to begin with. I hate it when I start to get interested in a game, and then find out that the only copies that are left of a certain book sell for more than twice its normal price. Besides, it's not like there are that many products left for me to buy anyway. :D

The Gathering Storm

The Edge of Night

The Witch's Song

Black Fire Pass

Hero's Call

The Enemy Within

All the PODs.

I'd better do some math and check if I have the funds. :P

So as not to start a new thread because I have a similar questions...

Just grabbed the core for $35 and Witch's Song and was wondering why the Adventurer's Toolkit was so sought after?

Is it just because it is out of print?

So as not to start a new thread because I have a similar questions...

Just grabbed the core for $35 and Witch's Song and was wondering why the Adventurer's Toolkit was so sought after?

Is it just because it is out of print?

It adds some interesting career choices, 10 in total; Ratcatcher, Smuggler, Dockhand, Bailiff, Bounty Hunter, Pit Fighter, Scribe, Sword Master, Wardancer and Ironbreaker.

Ironbreaker is also included in the BlackfIre Pass expansion, but the others are unique to the adventurer's toolkit.

It also added some actions (including an extra set of basic actions), talents and items, as well as more tokens and a few new party sheets. But the main attraction are the new careers. Early on it was a great expansion, adding new career choices early in the product line, so when I started playing it was great.

The thing is, the Adventurers toolkit should have been part of the core box. It's like they carved 1/4th of the core box out and but it in a separate box. Without the Adventurers Toolkit the core set is a bit thin.

Aha, thanks. I think there are a few laying around the local Gamin' shops around here. Might grab one if I see it than!

It's a nice to have expasnsion, so if you can get your hands on one it's well worth it (in my opinion).