What is your investigator dream team against Yog-Sothoth?

By Guest, in General Discussion

Today's Eldritch Horror article shares some strategies for beating Yog-Sothoth. What are your favorite investigator combinations? What are your tips and tricks for beating Yog?

I pick my investigators BEFORE choosing a RANDOM AO. So i don't know. Though i know Diana Stanley is awesome against him.

Have played three games so far against Yog and have only won once. Assembling the team for me means picking investigators to use from a randomly selected subset. That said, the team that managed to win was not that different from the one in the article: Akachi, Lily, Diana, and Trish were my starting investigators; when Akachi went insane she was replaced with Norman.

As far as strategies:

• make sure you have lots of spells - so having investigators that start with spells is a help.
  • avoid gates unless you can afford to spend a spell to avoid advancing doom
  • if you do end up fighting the Dunwich Horror, don't overlook the possibility of dealing with it remotely via encounters in Tokyo - many of them allow you place damage on a monster (rather than just discard from play, which won't work with the Dunwich Horror). Get enough of these and you may not need to fight him directly. The Agency Quarantine asset can also prove useful.

I think Akachi is a no-brainer. Her ability is very strong against Yog. I would have Norman too. I would choose Lily next because she is versatile in the event the Horror shows up. Finally, I would take Jim Culver. He helps regain any sanity lost fighting cultists and he also gives an extra dice in combat, useful against the Horror.

Honorable mentions (for more than 4 players): Charlie Kane- Because items are good and Leo Anderson- Because he can get you those overpowered artefacts. I feel these 2 characters are universally strong.

Akachi, Diana, Jacqueline, Lola, and I spank him every time.

Akachi (higher odds of closing gates so that you can contain the doom advancing), Diana (spells are vital against Yog), Norman (best stats booster in town, ehm, on Earth, the game got bigger with EH), Lily (paired up with Norman, she's just so terrific!).

Diana, Jacqueline, Charlie, and anybody else.

Diana and Jacqueline high-tail it to Buenos Aires and demolish the spell deck. Charlie demolishes the asset deck. The other person does whatever, After you have Feed, Plumb, Blessing of Isis, and garbage spells to discard, you go and solve mysteries while Charlie goes and collects more spells for you.