Flight School - Lambda 101

By SableGryphon, in X-Wing

I was wondering why I suddenly got a whole bunch of new likes on the original thread. :)

The combat use of the shuttle was killed when the Phantom came out. The ship just couldn't deal with Whisper or Echo shenanigans. With the change to decloaking, the shuttle was given a new lease on life but no new champions stepped forward to explore the shuttle like I and a few other originally did. It's still a great ship in a combat capacity. The Buzzsaw shuttle is still an excellent 32 points. Add Tactician and it can be a existential threat to high agility ships.

The problem is that few other tools have come out to make the old Alabaster Space Cow a threat again because you really only have a crew slot to play with. Agent Kallus is interesting, but the 1 Agility limits his usefulness. Mara Jade or Rebel Captive can be interesting and can limit pursuit. But no new Imperial crew have been released that can be used on this ship since Wave 5.

What will breath life into this Ghostly Void Bison will be new crew from Episode 7+. When something comes out that revolutionizes this craft, be assured I will cover it. :)

Jendon st321, might have legs with omega leader....

Go palp, inquisitor, omega ace for a tri ace + palp build....

Or with Omega Ace to key his crits better?

I was wondering why I suddenly got a whole bunch of new likes on the original thread. :)

The combat use of the shuttle was killed when the Phantom came out. The ship just couldn't deal with Whisper or Echo shenanigans. With the change to decloaking, the shuttle was given a new lease on life but no new champions stepped forward to explore the shuttle like I and a few other originally did. It's still a great ship in a combat capacity. The Buzzsaw shuttle is still an excellent 32 points. Add Tactician and it can be a existential threat to high agility ships.

The problem is that few other tools have come out to make the old Alabaster Space Cow a threat again because you really only have a crew slot to play with. Agent Kallus is interesting, but the 1 Agility limits his usefulness. Mara Jade or Rebel Captive can be interesting and can limit pursuit. But no new Imperial crew have been released that can be used on this ship since Wave 5.

What will breath life into this Ghostly Void Bison will be new crew from Episode 7+. When something comes out that revolutionizes this craft, be assured I will cover it. :)

Can you please do one for every ship in the game? Pretty please?

Not to mention that Sable Gryphon is Ricky White... meaning, they are both written by the same guy... I'm sure one informed the other...

Great to go back through this thread again though. Impressive, relevant necrothreading!

EDIT: ... /facepalm (You guys are correct, Ricky Richard White is Kelvan Tiberious. And then there is this other guy that is often on the same podcast that goes by Sable Gryphon and wears Standard Battle Attire. Apologies guys.)

We were once one but split in two to help the hippo shuttle bus lovers in two different locations.

To piggyback Sable's point, The shuttle bus is more viable again now that phantoms are not as in the meta as they were. They're also quite effective vs Ace Ships, particularly the Doomshuttle.

If I were to rewrite my article I would add an addendum for the Palpmobile as well.

Before Imperial Veterans was announced, I was playing around with the Lambda Shuttle as a support ship for Vessery. Here is a list I was planning on trying, but never got around to testing. I was hoping that Epsilon Leader would make up for the lack of an Engine Upgrade and give the Shuttle a tighter turning radius by freeing up the hard two.

Colonel Vessery (35)

Lone Wolf (2)

Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Stealth Device (3)

Colonel Jendon (26)

Fire-Control System (2)

Weapons Engineer (3)

ST-321 (3)

"Epsilon Leader" (19)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I use the shuttle as a Support Ship for a tie Swarm. The shuttle gets a systems slot so Fleet officer screams for one of the crew slots. Then you put Mara Jade/Rebel Captive for a bit of defense and BOOM, some of your tie fighters like Howl will have both a focus and an evade to guarentee a bit longer survival.

Plus it's a base 3 dice attack ship which is awesome.

Regarding combat builds it seems the buzzsaw is still best for the points.

That said does Agent kallus do enough (and possibly the title) to actually make the HLC worth considering? It seems to me that the initial engagement is critical for the shuttle so why not maximize its threat potential?

I for one love the advanced sensor, engine, HLC, tactician shuttle.

I think that Kagi will be more useful with the upcoming ordnance boosts. Whilst I would possibly swap out the advanced sensors for sensor jammers seeing as he''ll be taking the fire, we still have his high PS to play with, which will be great for using engine upgrade. I think he could well work for the gunship approach.

Kagi and sensor jammers is like Peanut Butter and Jelly.

What? Good jelly ruined by getting peanut butter all over it?? :o

Like Peanut Butter and Nutella. Or Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Fluff. :)

Like ... Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Fluff. :)

Kagi + Sensor Jammers = Fluffernutter.

Like ... Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Fluff. :)

Kagi + Sensor Jammers = Fluffernutter.

Like Jabba the Hutt and and all you can eat buffet.

The Fluffernutter Express... now there's a list that will draw questions... especially with Pearly Quasar Llama...

DARE: I dare you to use Fluffernutter the next time Kagi and Sensor Jammers are mentioned on the podcast and not explain it... well, maybe in the closing notes... and not laugh about it... heck, surprise sozin with the term... see if he is keeping up on the forums.

Edited by Grayfax

Do you think the Electronic Baffles counts? Cheap upgrade to let the shuttle do multiple hard-2s or multiple stops in a row. 22 points for a shuttle that trades some hit points at key times to keep its target in arc. You're kind of burning the spermaceti candle at both ends, but you almost start to fly like a regular ship, for cheap.

Baffled Buffaloes will totally be a thing, and I think shuttles are probably the best candidates for that card.

I suppose it's just a question of whether you want to invest in an extra point to get FCS, which also gives you action economy but doesn't let you do back-to-back hard 2s.

Baffled Buffaloes will totally be a thing, and I think shuttles are probably the best candidates for that card.

I suppose it's just a question of whether you want to invest in an extra point to get FCS, which also gives you action economy but doesn't let you do back-to-back hard 2s.

I think back to back reds is really just one of the strongest things you can choose to do with the lambda, be it stops, 2 turns, 3 banks, or actually being able to chain these options. A stop into a 2 turn seems like it would feel very good sometimes.

Absolutely agree with the above discussion of the Baffles (Note to self: Shuttle + Baffle = Buffalo).

As back in Wave III, I'll also point out that a system that works well for the Shuttle's mobility also works well with the B-Wing.

Baffelo, if we have to, we might make it cool, eh? ;)

though.. I'm more for Waffelo, but I disgress ..

It's a great white Baffelo, too. Does this Herald the return of something?

I hope so.

Used the baffelo in 4 games so far, works well enough. Funny thing is I'm so used to flying without it I didn't use it more than 3 times a game tops but usually 1-2.

Oh and getting action every turn is sexy.