Flight School - Lambda 101

By SableGryphon, in X-Wing

This is absolutely amazing!

This is absolutely amazing!

Over a year old, and y'ain't wrong.

This seems as good a place as any for this:

Are there any developments in the past year that change the Shuttle as a combat (vice support) ship?

Kallus seems like an easy plug-in on a shuttle. Kagi straight up hard counters any Long Range Sensors alpha strike lists. Anything else?

Have other Imperial ships supplanted it's roles?

Are there new threats the Shuttle provides answers to?

Are there new ships that compliment the Shuttle's strengths?

I would imagine that the new titles making Vessery a more dangerous opponent makes adding the ST-321 title to a support Lambda a bit more attractive if one can spare the points, though I'm far from certain if the ease of enabling the good colonel is worth the points

I would imagine that the new titles making Vessery a more dangerous opponent makes adding the ST-321 title to a support Lambda a bit more attractive if one can spare the points, though I'm far from certain if the ease of enabling the good colonel is worth the points

I would say it's probably worth the points to help Vessery out if it's also doing something else to help the cause. I've never been able to figure out a way to really make ST321 worth it, but there are smarter people than me out there.

I'm curious about Kagi myself. 27 points for a PS8 shuttle that shuts down alpha striking LRS builds (if those will be a thing, I think they will be). That's 6 points over a regular shuttle, and it loses some functionality of the regular shuttle, like blocking. That's a high price to play to counter just one aspect of a list. The question, then is can a PS8 shuttle be made to sing?

The only time I've ever used ST-321 to any benefit was with Jendon setting up a TIE bomber alpha strike on turn 2. With LRS coming, that's no longer the best way to accomplish that, so....

Edited by digitalbusker

If Long Range Scanners and/or alpha-strike lists come into the meta, then Kagi will be the all-star he was always meant to be.

Not a big fans of the cute names. A shuttle is a shuttle. All of this info is in an old article In Defense of the Lambda-class Shuttle .

Those of us with multiple shuttle know how great they are, if Imperials could take Outlaw Tech, they'd be about perfect.

Certainly not compared to a Scimitar Squadron Pilot with Long Range Sensors.

The only time I've ever used ST-321 to any benefit was with Jendon setting up a TIE bomber alpha strike on turn 2. With LRS coming, that's no longer the best way to accomplish that, so....

Scimitar Squadron pilot will want to use his target lock eventually.

Scimitar Squadron pilot also can't equip Weapons Engineer with Long Range Scanners.

A shuttle with the title and weapons engineer can target lock 2 ships anywhere on the map, and Jendon can hand out the target locks to other ships, even ones without Target Lock in their action bar. By the time you get to the enemy, your side could have target locks on 4 different ships. With FCS he can get more and more locks without spending an action.

Jendon with ST-321, FCS, Weapons Engineer, Engine Upgrade

2 Academy TIEs

Vessery with Flechette Cannon and TIE/D

99 points.

If you make that shuttle a generic, you could take Wampa and Night Beast instead of the Academy TIEs.

The last point you could Upgrade the Flechette to an Ion cannon, or give Night Beast TIE Mk. 2, or Switch Night Beast out for Backstabber, or give Vessery TIE Mk. 2 or a 1 point EPT.

Edited by Vulf

Scimitar Squadron pilot will want to use his target lock eventually.

Sure, both can equip Weapons Engineer. But Scimitar Squadron pilot's ability to reacquire locks will require him to back out to range 3.

Jendon can hand out the target locks to other ships, even ones without Target Lock in their action bar. By the time you get to the enemy, your side could have target locks on 4 different ships. With FCS he can get more and more locks without spending an action.

First, a TIE Bomber can't equip both Long Range Sensors and Weapons Engineer. The TIE Shuttle title keeps it from meeting the requirements of LRS.

Second, a Scimitar Squadron Pilot who gets off his alpha strike and needs to reacquire a Target Lock is what we call a "luxury problem". :)

Edited by digitalbusker

You caught me mid-edit.

You caught me mid-edit.

Necro thread! Welcome back old friend.

Edited by Kelvan

Not a big fans of the cute names. A shuttle is a shuttle. All of this info is in an old article In Defense of the Lambda-class Shuttle .

Those of us with multiple shuttle know how great they are, if Imperials could take Outlaw Tech, they'd be about perfect.

This thread predates the article, mate.

Not to mention that Sable Gryphon is Ricky White... meaning, they are both written by the same guy... I'm sure one informed the other...

Great to go back through this thread again though. Impressive, relevant necrothreading!

EDIT: ... /facepalm (You guys are correct, Ricky Richard White is Kelvan Tiberious. And then there is this other guy that is often on the same podcast that goes by Sable Gryphon and wears Standard Battle Attire. Apologies guys.)

Edited by Grayfax

great guide, if only there was one of these for each ship.

I think this thread was one of the major reasons as to why I fell in love with the space cow. Would love to see a 102 post at some point especially with all the new toys we got(palpatine's behind it all) and how some newer upgrades expand what one can do with a cow. Long live the space cows as one of the best ships in the game!

Would love to see a 102 post at some point

There was one once. He wrote 2. But I think the forum has an age cut off of 2 years, I can't find it anymore. I recall it being focused on outflying an x-wing with the shuttle.

Jendon st321, might have legs with omega leader....

Go palp, inquisitor, omega ace for a tri ace + palp build....

Not to mention that Sable Gryphon is Ricky White... meaning, they are both written by the same guy... I'm sure one informed the other...

Great to go back through this thread again though. Impressive, relevant necrothreading!

I have serious name dyslexia, I can rarely remember people's names. But isn't Sable actually Mark (surname forgotten) and kelvan up above Ricky?

I stand ready to be corrected, and will be prepared to surrender my Scum and Villainy podcast listening rights if incorrect.

I have serious name dyslexia, I can rarely remember people's names. But isn't Sable actually Mark (surname forgotten) and kelvan up above Ricky?

I stand ready to be corrected, and will be prepared to surrender my Scum and Villainy podcast listening rights if incorrect.

Yeah, Sable is Marc and Richard is Kelvan.

I have only recently acquired a Lambda, and this article is every bit as relevant as it was the day it was published. Of course, now I have to get my hands on a copy of Engine Upgrade, to use my space whale to it's fullest extent.

Clearly, I need to add some black to its paint-job, as it is a KILLER space whale

Would love to see a 102 post at some point

There was one once. He wrote 2. But I think the forum has an age cut off of 2 years, I can't find it anymore. I recall it being focused on outflying an x-wing with the shuttle.

Google pulled it right up.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/98558-flight-school-lambda-102-outflying-an-x-wing/

And I totally already read that one haha, derp for me. Was wondering where that was when I read thru this again. Regardless I made up my mind to buy another lambda when I go back to school

If it wasn't for the killer cow, I wouldn't be quite so desperate to get my hands on several copies of the Imperial alt-art gunner card ;)