Yog Sothoth Questions

By baileyborough, in General Discussion

Hi guys,

I've got some problems trying to understand Yog Sothoth's rules.

Specifically, how the Key and the Gate encounters work.

It says that "If the investigators solve 3 mysteries, they win the game"

But how do the key and the gate/lurker on the threshold things on the back of the card work?

Confused.

Thanks,

C

Sorry, buddy, not so sure I get your question. Let me try to sum everything up, and see if this solves your doubts :)

Every Ancient One in Eldritch Horror (so far, at least, maybe future AO expansions will require more or less mysteries to be solved, dunno) requires investigators to solve three Mystery cards before doom reaches 0 in order to defeat the Ancient One.

If you are unable to solve three mysteries before doom advances to zero, then the AO wakes up. You flip the Ancient One sheet and read the new conditions to defeat it. So, in a Yog game, after the doom track advances to zero, you flip the card and read the so called "Final Mystery": an extra task you have to fulfill after finish solving the three mysteries required to win. Specifically, Yog instructs you to do the following:

a) reach a location with a gate

b) on that location, during the encounter phase, instead of encountering the location / the gate / doing the usual stuff you do during an encounter, you draw from the "Special Encounter Deck" related to Yog a card with the heading "The Key and The Gate" and try to resolve it. Usually, a pass condition grants you to put an Eldritch token on the AO sheet (just beware: if there are monsters on the gate, you have to deal with them before trying to solve what said here in point (b))

c) when at the end of the Mythos Phase the number of Eldritch tokens on the AO card are equal to half the number of the investigators, the final mystery is resolved and the game ends with the investigator being victorious

The Lurker at the Thresholds section on the back of the AO's sheet represent special events happening during the Mythos phase of the rounds after Yog woke up, and specifics how investigators can lose the game.

Hope this helps

That's perfect, thank you.

The confusion was relating to the fact that once you wake up Yog, you still need to solve 3 mysteries and then do the final thing.

That's great, thanks for clearing up. Now I can't wait to see how they do other Ancient Ones!

Ok :) Yes, when an AO awakens you still have to complete the three usual mysteries, and only then you can attempt to solve the final mystery. Glad I helped, and enjoy the game :)