Expansion Wishlisting

By MechaBri.Zilla, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Somebody on BGG asked about whether we'd like to see more disks for existing armies or new armies first in the expansions. I decided to put this here where FFG can see it, because I have a wishlist... ;)

I would love to see 'Campaign Expansions'. Boxes that contain an entire new army with slightly more disks than the starters in the core box, new disks for the starter armies to bring them in line, and a specific setting with terrain and new cards to support it.

For instance you could do a Lustrian campaign with Lizardmen as the new army, some new terrain that would reflect the jungles of Lustria, some new pieces for the other armies themed on a Lustrian campaign, maybe a book with scenarios, and some special rules for a campaign set in Lustria and of course new command and perhaps deployment cards.

What do you think?

I'm guessing with all that I'm asking that these expansions probably wouldn't be cheap, but they could be a lot of fun.

I like this idea a lot. The other thing they could do is always box some extra terrain pieces and scenario cards and do little terrain expansions, I think that'd be cool. I'd love to see rules for multi-game campaigns too, but I'm probably dreaming.

I hope it has even 1/2 as many expansions as Warhammer Invasion had. That would be great!

I think that is a good idea for some of the future deluxe expansions, but for the first one I would like to see the inclusion of two new armies. I would like a series of small expansions that would expand the current races (and maybe introduce some mercenaries) at first.

I would love to see dwarves ...

I would love to see dwarves ...

DWAAARVES !!! and skavens

I don't think you have much to worry about with Dwarves. If they add any armies at all, you will definitely see Dwarves and most likely Dark Elves. After that I'm sure that the armies we saw in Invasion would be next on the list.

However, my hopes of seeing a Tomb Kings army are somewhat less likely. It's part of the reason I think a campaign based expansion system would rock. Because Khemri would be an awesome place for a campaign about ancient artifacts, and the terrain would be awesome. Of course, Lustria and Sylvania would also kick some butt.

Tomb kings ftw!

Dwarves may add some underground gameplay / mechanism. Could be nice to reinforce a few disks in tunnels or at mines entrances !

i really like the idea of mini campaign with new army attached i think that is pretty sweet. even if FFG does these as the big box expansions and smaller releases for army expansion

I want another core set with four new armies: DWARVES, WOOD ELVES, VAMPIRE COUNTS AND SKAVEN.

Personally i would love to see first expansions include new terrain, new quests and command cards and few disks that are same as in starter box. Why? Couse i would love to be able to create regiments with three black orcs or maiden guard without buying 3 starter boxes. If You know what i mean ... :)

When it comes to new armies i probably would go for Skavens and Bretonia or Dwarves. I'm sick of dark elves and i think skavens would create much more havoc on battlefields of Old World.

Edited by garhan

I would love to see an ogre army. Just because people are not all over it in WHFB (then again, people are not all over that game anyway) does not mean it wouldn't be awesome in Warhammer pogs. Every army would be awesome to see in this capacity. I think they should do an expansion called "Size Matters" and it should have Ogres and Dwarves.

... I think they should do an expansion called "Size Matters" and it should have Ogres and Dwarves.

Just recovered from laughing... thank you sir, that just made my day... and is an excellent idea by the way.

Ogres could be fun. I suppose they could use Noblars for the small disks, but I'd rather see an army made entirely of medium and large disks.

Not so much an expansion-wish as a customer-service:

I'd like a blank disk-template to be added to the website, so that players can design (and print) their own disks (if you want to add homemade units to your game, add fan-made armies (Nippon etc.) or even add regional variants of certain units.

/Bele

Not so much an expansion-wish as a customer-service:

I'd like a blank disk-template to be added to the website, so that players can design (and print) their own disks (if you want to add homemade units to your game, add fan-made armies (Nippon etc.) or even add regional variants of certain units.

/Bele

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but I don't think there is any way that this happens. They do want to make money on this game.

At any rate, wait long enough and someone will put together graphics packages to do this anyway.

Aye, I can see how that could be an issue.

However, I think it could be a good idea for FFG nonetheless.

The more "open-ended" approach has shown itself to be a quote profitable business-model in the past, as a less restrictive environment has a way of drawing in more players - and keeping them hooked.

Secondly, a template like this could be linked to an ordering service where players could order sheets of disks of their own design, much like when you go to a website, upload your own photos and have a personalized calendar or whatever designed from that.

That would/could bring about revenue for FFG - and would give players the "real deal", and not just simple printouts glued to cardboard.

/Bele

I would like to see the other elven races later.

But for the first expansions i would like to see (in order of priorioty):

- Dwarves

- Skaven

- Lizardmen/fimir

- Dark Elves

- Wood Elves

- Brettonia

- Space Marines

- Halflings (Dogs of war - Maybe generic heroes, allowing combinations of different races (both Order & Disorder))

if you pick space marine i pick gandalf!

Really? The mage with one and not really working spell? ;)

Hahaha.

Just couldn't help it. Had to throw Space Marine out there :)

But on that note a 40K version of this would be interesting. In other words:

Iffem_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Love this game :D

Warhammer 40 k Diskwars ? Hmmm just tell me where to send my money..and sign me in.

Aye, I can see how that could be an issue.

However, I think it could be a good idea for FFG nonetheless.

The more "open-ended" approach has shown itself to be a quote profitable business-model in the past, as a less restrictive environment has a way of drawing in more players - and keeping them hooked.

Secondly, a template like this could be linked to an ordering service where players could order sheets of disks of their own design, much like when you go to a website, upload your own photos and have a personalized calendar or whatever designed from that.

That would/could bring about revenue for FFG - and would give players the "real deal", and not just simple printouts glued to cardboard.

/Bele

As much as I would love this, I think it raises too many complications. For instance, right now you can see every disk for this game on Board Game Geek. If they were to release a template and 'blanks' for you to print your own disks, then you could by-pass purchasing the game entirely and just print off as many of any disk as you would like.

What you are talking about would be a truly open source game. I love that idea, but I don't think it would ever really work with a for profit company. Though I've personally thought about making an open source games with parts you could freely print on a 3-d printer. You'd just download the schematics and the rules and go to town. Wan't to make your own pieces and rules? Go for it!!

But asking a company like FFG to do that is a little more than wishlisting, it's asking them to give up their revenue stream.

Hahaha.

Just couldn't help it. Had to throw Space Marine out there :)

But on that note a 40K version of this would be interesting. In other words:

Iffem_shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

Love this game :D

I've heard a couple people mention that they would like a 40k version of the game, and as much as I'd like to second that sentiment, I'm not sure that the Diskwars concept works as well in a game that is based more on ranged combat rather than melee.

One of the strengths of Diskwars is that so little of the game is random, to make a 40k version you would be placing the emphasis of the game on the one part of the game that actually is random.

Don't get me wrong, I would totally own and play that game, if only because I love me some 40k. That said, I think they would have to re-think some of the rules to make a truly good game.