Poison Wind Globadiers

By r_b_bergstrom, in WFRP Gamemasters

I was looking at the stats on these guys, and I realized there are currently ZERO actions or item cards that could represent the weapons they use. The Globadiers themselves have stats, but no attempt was made to represent their one and only method of attack.

As written, all they have is Basic Ranged Attack and a DR of 3. Technically that means it's not an area-effect weapon, it doesn't have the Poison ability (and is very poor at generating the crits that Poison needs to trigger), it doesn't avoid armour soak, and the double yellow provided by their masks are completely useless (they don't even interact mechanically with the Clan Skryre group card).

Has anyone made an action for them in Strange Eons?

I'm currently working on a card, but am a little uncertain just how potent to make it. I've never played a Skaven army in WFB, so I don't really know how powerful they are there or in the fluff. Any ideas?

Interesting situation. There is very little to go on. I assume the GM is supposed to make up a lot of stuff on this. Yes, ranged attack would be the appropriate one.

Yes, I'd go with ignore armor defense (in fact, probably give penalty for heavy armor).

Summary from creature guide:

Creature..........................skulls category........... st to ag int Wp fel a c e ♥ Dmg Sk Def stance set
Poison Wind Globadier 3........ Skaven, Skryre 3 3 4 Δ 3 3 3 3 3 0 2 3 1 9 C1 cg/cv (p.104)

p.44

Clan Skryre poison wind Globadiers
Many of the rank-and-file skaven soldiers of Clan Skryre are
trained in the use of their technological devices. The most common
of these are the poison wind globes—spheres of glass or crystal
filled with warpstone gas. The globadiers wear gear to protect them
from their own weapons, should they backfire, and Clan Skryre are
rich enough to equip them with heavier armour than that worn by
clanrats.

Protective Gear: Globadiers wear elaborate masks, goggles,
and cumbersome breathing apparati in order to protect themselves
from their own gas. Globadiers gain Δ Δ to Resilience checks to
resist the effects of inhaled poisons, gases, or diseases.
The gear is encumbering, and globadiers must add Δ to all
Strength, Toughness, and Agility checks they make.

Clan skryre poison Wind globadiers (reproduced on p.99..cuz' thats how this book was made)
Protective Gear: Globadiers wear elaborate masks, goggles, and
cumbersome breathing apparatus in order to protect themselves
from their own gas. Globadiers gain 2 yellow to Resilience checks to
resist the effects of inhaled poisons, gases, or diseases.
The gear is encumbering, and globadiers must add 1 black to all

Strength, Toughness, and Agility checks they make.

Typical poison rules in the Creature guide:

When the creature inflicts a critical wound, the target
suffers fatigue equal to the critical wound’s severity.

p.106

skaVen, clan skryre
Talents: Focus x1, Tactic x1
Diabolic Technology: The longer an encounter with Clan Skryre
lasts, the more prone their technology and bizarre weaponry is to
unleashing some truly devastating results – or malfunctioning and
exploding. At the end of each round, advance the token one space.
Also advance the token one space whenever a skaven generates ¿
when making an attack with a piece of Clan Skryre technology.
Once the token reaches space 3, add black + white and +1 damage to all
skaven attacks using Clan Skryre technology. Once the token
reaches space 6, add yellow = purple and +2 damage to all such attacks. However,
from this point on, if one or more ¿ is generated, the weapon
explodes after the attack, inflicting wounds to the wielder equal to
the number of ¿ generated!
0 1 2 3 4 5 6

==============================

p.55 Vile ratmen and their Loathsome Kin (black library)
Jezzail..
Warplock pistol..
Warpstone-crafted bullets..
Poisoned wind globe - a fragile glass sphere designed to shatter on impact when thrown to release a noxious cloud of toxic green vapours. Any man or animal breathing in even the smallest part of such vapours is all but guaranteed a grusesome death, gaspingo ut the last of their life in agony and terror as their lungs fill with blood and vile froth bubbles from tehir mouth..no armour or magical protection can prevent these choking clouds from doing their insidious work"

Warpfhire thrower..

Ratling gun..

Warlock engineers - "is a walking arsenal in his own right..wear a harness covered in all manner of gauges, tubing, eyepieces, antennae, dials, and other bizarre devices..lifts the strange blade-like devices they all bear, either set at the end of a polearm or fused to the flesh of their arms..energies that are suddenly unleashed..as bolts of vivid lightning capable of reducing their victims to charred cinders."

Children of the Horned rat (Green ROnin)
[p.48 Clan skryre
p.69 Gobadiers
Clan Skryre technomancy p.84
.75 weapons of the skaven clan skryre's tools of war
"..to use a poisoned wind globe..select a square within range. make a Ballistic Skill Test as normal. If you fail the test, roll 1d10 and consult hte ofllowing chart ot see where it shatters..when teh globe shatters it releases a cloud of poisonous gas..The gas remains for 1d10/2 rounds after which it loses potency. Any creature caught in the cloud must succeed on a Challenging (-10%) Toughness Test or take a Damage 4 hit that ignores armour and toughness bonus.
Each round the poison gas remains potent, the cloud drifts1d10/5 squares. Roll 1d10 and consul tht ediagram to see which direction it moves. On a roll of 1, the cloud stays where it is. On a roll of 10, it suddenly loses potency and disperses."

So from all that here's how I'd do it:

Recharge (3) - each subsequent round, creatures in the affected engagement area who do not move out, suffer half of the beginning damage.

1 success: 2 damage to all in engagement not protected

3 success: 4 damage to all in engagement not protected and Affected must make (2d) Resilience check or adds "poison" effect as well

2 Banes - effect only lasts 1 round.

2 Boons - Recharge extends to (4)

Chaos star, explodes in throwers space

Comet - +2 damage, ignores armour and toughness soak.

Lord_of_Clan_Skyre.jpg

Edited by Emirikol

Thanks for the brainstorming, quotes, and the awesome skaven picture. All very helpful.

The version I've been toying with actually uses a Resilience check for the targets (instead of an attack roll). I did that so the 2 yellow given by their own breathing equipment would always matter, assuming something weird happened like a globe getting dropped or used against them.

Every non-henchman in target engagement tests Resilience + Toughness against Difficulty 2 Purple, + 1 Black if the Globadier spends an Expertise. (For the sake of speed and ease at the tabletop, henchmen don't roll, they just die.)

Success: Suffer 1 Fatigue

Failure: Draw a crit, suffer fatigue = severity, then discard the crit.

Boon: Free movement/disengage manoeuvre.

Bane: Blinded condition for 1 round.

Chaos Star: Damage = Skavens Agility + DR

Chaos Star: 1 Fatigue

So that's what I created yesterday, but I see two problems with it:

1) There are 2 crits in the deck with Severity 0. (Meaning there's a tiny chance failure is better than success with the way I wrote it up).

2) It doesn't combine well with the Clan Skryre group card, since it doesn't do damage by default. The bonus dice are easy enough, you'd just add them to the Resilience checks instead. Maybe this is not such a big deal, since that group card's tracker moves 1 per turn, and I've never seen a fight last more than 4 turns.

I didn't have it lingering because I think it's just a one-turn template attack in WFB. (Though that could actually make for an interesting terrain card, now that you mention it.)

I hadn't realized Green Ronin did WFRP2 stats for it, as I don't have that book.

All things considered, the ideal situation would probably be for it to be an item card, not an action. Because eventually the PCs are going to kill the rats and take any globes that didn't get used.

Edited by r_b_bergstrom

Warpstone gas...does it not ring a bell on you guys?? Corruption check!!!!!

Cheers,

Yepes

@ Yepesnopes: You raise a good point, the warpstone component should indeed trigger corruption in some way.

Anyhow, I ran with the version I'd posted above. It worked pretty well. The PCs all passed their tests, but they burned a lot of resources (fortune points, human once/session power, party card) to do so, so it felt dramatic.