So can't wait!

By Talley Darkstar, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

Bah, I'm no grognard, but KotB was significantly better than anything I saw in 4E.

It's meant to be a starter adventure and a tutorial for the GM - you are meant to personalise it, give the tribes and NPCs little quirks, design a story around the bare bones. B1 In Search of the Unknown, was similar. KotB at least offered tactics and the possibility of having a 'living dungeon' where the creatures didn't just sit around patiently waiting for adventurers to kill them. They moved around, set up watch, had reinforcements, cut deals with other tribes, or just fled in fear.

I must have GMed this two dozen times over the years. I've played it straight, played it as a parody for the Magic Wishing Kitten group, done a modern version of it with the players filming the humanoids for a documentary, and even an adult version (about which I'll say no more, other than we used 'Isle of Dread' as a sequel and everything was consenting...)

My Basic box was full colour though, and I think it was Erol Otus art? Man, that guy had a very unsettling, evocative style...

Edited by Maelora

I was not going to get any of these Beginner games... then I saw them. I was like Hmm... maps and another set of dice? Okay, I am in. I figure if I get all Three box sets, I will not have to get any extra dice.

I was not going to get any of these Beginner games... then I saw them. I was like Hmm... maps and another set of dice? Okay, I am in. I figure if I get all Three box sets, I will not have to get any extra dice.

I bought the EotE Beginner Box back in October with the AoR beta when it had been reprinted with errata (long after owning the Core Rulebook on it's own) and I must say that it is a great resource. It's a very quick start method of teaching people how to use the Dice System. I've been using it at Board Game shops and it has led to at least a dozen Rulebook/Beginner Box purchases as a result. The included adventure is fun and can last no more than an hour and a half depending on how quickly the group decide to move along (and how expertly they handle the given situations).

I've had a lot of success with the product and plan on hosting similar events for the AoR Beginner box. Besides, this will be Dice Set number 5 for me, they're seeing plenty use.

The only thing that ticked me about the EoE starter is that they didn't actually follow their own rules in creating the pregens. Bummed, because I actually liked several of them enough to play in perpetuity! But not if they aren't even RIGHT. You could mod them, but then out the window go the nifty folios.

I'll tell myself I don't want/need this. I'll tell myself again and again. But the words will ring hollow. I know I want it.

Over on rpggeek, a nice gentleman has converted the six characters from the EotE beginner's set into core rule compliant characters. They are perfectly playable for continuing the adventure after the two beginner adventures. I hope he does the same thing for this set.

Now that it is practically a sure thing, I am really excited for the Force and Destiny Beginner's set. A group of awesome force wielders should be an excellent introduction to role playing for newcomers.

The only thing that ticked me about the EoE starter is that they didn't actually follow their own rules in creating the pregens. Bummed, because I actually liked several of them enough to play in perpetuity! But not if they aren't even RIGHT. You could mod them, but then out the window go the nifty folios.

I was more disappointed that the final character sheet looked nothing like the folios. Those were very handy. I would love little dice bubbles you could shade in to remind yourself what you default dice pool is for certain skills. And the nifty sidebars with symbols and rule reminders.

I was more disappointed that the final character sheet looked nothing like the folios. Those were very handy. I would love little dice bubbles you could shade in to remind yourself what you default dice pool is for certain skills. And the nifty sidebars with symbols and rule reminders.

That would be handy. I've got a player in our gaming group that doesn't want to play EotE because converting dice and figuring out dice pools in EotE is to much work. :rolleyes:

That would be handy. I've got a player in our gaming group that doesn't want to play EotE because converting dice and figuring out dice pools in EotE is to much work. :rolleyes:

I'm personally not a big fan of tech at the table, but if that player is lacking the 10 seconds it takes to interpret the dice pool they could always do the app! It's pretty slick.

I'm personally not a big fan of tech at the table, but if that player is lacking the 10 seconds it takes to interpret the dice pool they could always do the app! It's pretty slick.
Edited by Talley Darkstar

I'm actually torn between tech and physical dice. I love the SW app and would use it, but I also love dice. I don't know what to do! :huh:

I'm actually torn between tech and physical dice. I love the SW app and would use it, but I also love dice. I don't know what to do! :huh:

Simples! DO BOTH! :D

Simples! DO BOTH! :D

Just make sure I don't throw the tech! lol :lol:

Half of the table has the app but we vastly prefer the physical dices as it take too much time to assemble a pool in the app imho.

Yeah once everyone has enough dice the app isn't as useful. Although sometimes I make my son use the app on large die rolls, dice flying everywhere lol.

I'm 43 and I hate i-phones and 'apps'.Ugh. It's a different language for me. Now I know how my friends feel when I talk about THACO and Hitpoints.

So yeah, you can take my dice when you pry them out of my cold,dead hands.

Well FFG, you seem to REALLY want access to my bank account so here's all of my info...

BTW, dice all the way. The app is great but it's instant "You win, you lose". With dice there's that 3 seconds where everyone around the table are adding up the totals in their heads for that one big hit, and when it hits...BOOM! everyone goes crazy! I can't speak for everyone but, atleast for me and my group, dice are the way to go.

That's so very true!

Well FFG, you seem to REALLY want access to my bank account so here's all of my info...

BTW, dice all the way. The app is great but it's instant "You win, you lose". With dice there's that 3 seconds where everyone around the table are adding up the totals in their heads for that one big hit, and when it hits...BOOM! everyone goes crazy! I can't speak for everyone but, atleast for me and my group, dice are the way to go.

I never considered this, but yeah. Even the split second it takes for the dice to actually finish rolling can add a measure of tension. Good point.

Gotta have 'em in your hands, baby. Coax 'em. Wheedle 'em. Sacrifice a glass of wine (I actually did this once in college making a D&D character, and rolled three 18s). FEEL those dice get to know each other and release 'em only when ready.

To HELL with an "app." :lol:

We had a pivotal roll end in a tense climax and an explosion of applause at the table when a yellow die spun like a top and ever so slowly came to a rest as an additional Suc/Adv. All five pairs of eyes watched and nobody breathed.

You can't get that with an app.

That's the reason I love having the dice in my hands it's more traditional and I am happy with that. But the tech geek in me, having the app makes me happy too.

I have the app on both phone and pad, as well as three sets of dice for the table.

In play the dice are what gets used. Even though it means some tossing of dice through the air between GM and players. I just find it easier to assemble a dice pool and roll with physical dice. Maybe I'm just a crazy old man.

The AoR BB will add a dice set to my pool. Yay!

I'm 43 and I hate i-phones and 'apps'.Ugh. It's a different language for me. Now I know how my friends feel when I talk about THACO and Hitpoints.

So yeah, you can take my dice when you pry them out of my cold,dead hands.

I'm 40 and in IT, so usually when I get home and it's time to relax and run a game I want to disconnect from all of that garbage. I mostly just love physical dice, though :)

Tendaar the Mon Cal Engineer? Hm. Calamari, Tendaar, I see a lot of seafood jokes aimed at him.

How Tendaar is the Calamari today, or is it a little rubbery?

I'm unsure if I'll be getting this BB; this year will be tight given Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, everything Onyx Path is doing with the World of Darkness (Classic and New), some big Call of Cthulhu releases, my attempts to catch up with the beautiful Legend of the Five Rings 4th edition, and even D&D next. Never mind other hobbies... And food, need to remember food.

That said, I am sorely tempted, and would love another set of dice to supplement the three I have already.

As for dice or app, I'm a bit of a purist, the app is handy, but I love my dice (By handy, I mean the wife can use the iPad while I get to keep my dice to myself).