Expansions...

By Elliphino, in BattleLore

Looking at the releases for FFGs other Battlelore game, Battle of Westeros, might shed a little light on what they might be planning for Battlelore 2nd Edition:

- The core set, which contains two factions (Stark and Lannister).

- Two $30 expansions, one for each of the two factions.

- Two more $30 expansions, also one for each of the two factions.

- An individual $30 expansion... seemingly works with both factions? (I don't play BoW)

- A large, $70 expansion that introduces a new 3rd faction to the game, equivalent to those in the core set + expansions.

Personally, I'd rather see a whole new faction first rather than a 2nd wave of expansions for the Daqan/Uthuk, but I could see a neutral unit expansion of monsters and mercenaries, or a hero expansion of legendary units.

It's not that theme isn't important, but to some extent there's not much reason to make new units that are completely incompatible with the existing armies. Do dwarves that could fight alongside the Daqan, or undead that could fight alongside the Uthuk, really need to be a new color of plastic?

It's not that theme isn't important, but to some extent there's not much reason to make new units that are completely incompatible with the existing armies. Do dwarves that could fight alongside the Daqan, or undead that could fight alongside the Uthuk, really need to be a new color of plastic?

I'd rather they use new colors for any new factions. For those who end up making house rules for multiplayer, this will be essential.

Besides that, I suppose its good to make factions easily distinguishable for sorting reasons and for bird-eyes view reasons =)

That's my point, though - why make them new factions at all? If you make dwarf units, for example, you could make them blue so you can mix them with the Daqan army like normal, or, if you only wanted to play dwarves (which I will contend is edge cases), you could choose to just only muster dwarves.

I haven't played Epic Battlelore from the 1st edition, but this game seems so specifically designed and balanced for 2 players that I don't really see most of the mechanics working for more, and I can't imagine FFG making units that are not compatible with the existing armies unless there was huge demand.

For houserules, you could always buy a second set and paint them a different color.

That's my point, though - why make them new factions at all? If you make dwarf units, for example, you could make them blue so you can mix them with the Daqan army like normal, or, if you only wanted to play dwarves (which I will contend is edge cases), you could choose to just only muster dwarves.

Because they are separate factions in both the other Terrinoth war games (Runewars and Rune Age).

While there are some allegiances, the Dwarves of Dunwarr are not part of the Daqan Lords kingdoms. The Latari Elves are not subject to them, either. Waiqar, the traitor and leader of the Undead, has no love for the Uthuk Y'llan, nor do the Orcs.

Thematically, in this setting, it doesn't make sense for them to be just mixed up into two factions.

(I would strongly guess that if/when new factions are made, the Waiqar faction would be purple, and the Latari faction would be green. Not sure what color the Dwarves would be (brown, maybe? or gold?) or the Orcs (perhaps Orange?)

I think you have to consider it in terms of the economics of manufacturing and selling it, though - everyone who has Battlelore 2e has the Daqan and Uthuk factions and therefore is a potential customer of future Daqan and Uthuk units, and are even more inclined to stick with those factions once they've already spent the money on the 2 upcoming expansions for those armies. Making units that are incompatible with the existing factions, and who are balanced against the existing factions in terms of number of units available, makes a 3rd army all the more expensive and lowers the number of potential purchasers, which means Battleore 2e has to be doing really great sales numbers to warrant that, and I don't think that's the case - I suspect it is a reasonable success, but FFG hasn't been putting it in their tournament lineups, and has been pretty slow to release even the upcoming expansions.

Certainly the scenario editor features colors for the other Rune Age factions, but the only way I see it happening is with a second base set of 2 full armies of new factions launching simultaneously with a pair of army expansions for them - still very expensive, but at least it makes it a viable stand-alone product. For now, Battlelore is a game one person owns, not a game where you purchase your favorite faction and bring it with you to play (a la Warhammer)

Certainly the scenario editor features colors for the other Rune Age factions, but the only way I see it happening is with a second base set of 2 full armies of new factions launching simultaneously with a pair of army expansions for them - still very expensive, but at least it makes it a viable stand-alone product. For now, Battlelore is a game one person owns, not a game where you purchase your favorite faction and bring it with you to play (a la Warhammer)

As I noted a few posts ago, look at what FFG did with Battlelore-Battle of Westeros. Their core set has 2 factions (House Lannister and House Stark) They released 2 sets of expansions that expand them and then bam... they released a large ($80) expansion that added House Baratheon, a full-fledged 3rd faction with a variety and quantity of figures equal to the core set factions plus expansions.

I could see them doing the same here and would happily buy a new faction(s) like that. Only problem is they'll annoy people who want the undead if they release elves first or vice-versa :)

Or they could release a second core set as mentioned above. With elves and undead and tileset that fits those factions (swamps, more forests, etc. and even add something new like castle walls (though that would have made more sense with the Daqan's I'll admit)).

Either way, I hope they have some new factions in the work and that they don't wait 2 years with releasing them. I would love to eventually get my hands on all the factions (Daqan lords, Ulthak, Elves, Undead, Dwarves, Orcs). Not to mention of many other amazing expansions they could make, everything from castle tiles, to hero reinforcements to campaign scenarios and so on). The game has a lot of potential if FFG would only realize it.

Or they could release a second core set as mentioned above.

I don't think this will ever gonna happen. Producing a second core set with two different faction would imply people can get the second core without getting the first one, and this would make the line generate less profit.

If new factions will ever be released, we'll most probably see one faction at a time, and possibly divided into sub sets of five unit types each, so that they can keep the price low (I sense more people spending 35 bucks one month for part A of an army and 35 bucks a couple of months later for part B rather than investing 70 bucks all at once). Just what my guts tell me, no idea of what's next, clearly

Still, your post makes sense, like always =)

Either way, I'd jump on the bandwagon regardless of which one they go for. Would be nice with some official words on plans for the future and such though =3

And I can't but agree :) As long as the line is supported, I'll gladly get more or less everything they put on the market :)

X2- all my plastic belong to FFG. I will need to move the BL2 miniatures to the top of my

painting backlog, otherwise I'll be swamped.

I hope the Elf & Undead factions will be forthcoming ( I've been waiting since BL1 ) as for

Dwarves & Orcs the FFG world setting is a bit vague (to me at least) so perhaps they could

be worked in as allies much like BL1.

Better to have them as seperate factions, and having rules that allow you to include seperate faction units as allies. This will help keeping possibilities open with the scenario builder as well which will only get more and more popular the more content the game is provided.

Yup. Plus I also would like to see some other oddities arriving (tile expansions featuring new terrains and rules to muster them, like haunted ruins, waterfalls, jungle), an expansion featuring battles in the sea, a booklet of scenarios to play a huge campaign (like the one in BT: Command) and so on. There are just so many possibilities this line could become HUGE :D

Hi All

I'm very keen to buy the new expansions. Does anyone know when they will be available to buy and will they be issued together?

Thank you for your advice.

Dave

The 2 army Packs-Hernfar Guardians & Warband of Scorn are due the 1 st Quarter so sometime in

March . The Reinforcement Packs Mt. Giant & Great Dragon are projected for 2nd Qt.( per CSI).

But things beyond FFG control could push these releases back .

It appears the 2 Army Packs will be issued together & then the 2 Reinforcement packs will issue

together.

They can't get here soon enough! Very excited to get my hands on these.

Edited by LongDarkBlues

Thank you very much for coming back to me. I shall just bide my time and wait.

All the best

dave

Im eagerly awaiting the new expansions, however they just seem to be taking forever! How much longer do you all think its going to take?

Ages.

Ffg said at the gama trade show that there will be lots of support for battlelore and battlelore command this year. They may have been referring to the already announced expansions but we could be getting even more stuff this year.

Still not on the boat, as per yesterday's update, so we can probably stop hoping that it was secretly on the boat for the last 4 weeks to slip in at the end of Q1 - hopefully we'll get a new estimated date soon! As eager as I am to get my hands on the Army Packs, it'd be kind of fun if they came out alongside the Reinforcement units, too, just to introduce all that stuff to the game at the same time.

The Army Packs seem stuck "at the Printer" although we still have a bit of time left in the promised

1st Quarter. They obviously won't be able to get these out in March even if the Packs get on the boat today.

It would be nice to know what's the hold up ( I doubt FFG will tell us) this somewhat reminds me of the

bad old days when an FFG release schedule was pure fiction.

Hello to everyone,

I am an italian player (sorry for my bad english) that was an old warhammer player.

Now I have no more time to play warhammer because it takes too much time and its rules are simply too difficult for someone who is not in the world of war games.

I was searching for a new game more simple but still beautiful to play with friends... and I finally found Battlelore 2 edition. It is simply great.

I love play it with Uthuk faction and my favourite units are the "Flesh ripper brutes", I find them versatile and useful.

Battlelore 2 edition has an italian edition (distributed by Giochi Uniti) ,

MY QUESTION IS!!!! the FFG is going to do the italian edition of the army packs and reinforcement packs ????? i really hope so.

please someone answer :)

thank you

Davide,

you should ask GU about the release for the pack (or ask FFG directly, but don't expect them to answer on the forum, since it's not something the company does - I think I read very few "official" posts in the last 8 years).

Anyhoo... allow me to ask: no chance you can get the English version of the packs / the game? GU translations are usually terrible (just look at "Forsaken Lore" becoming "Leggende Perdute" - "Lost Legends")

Just sayin'

Edited by Julia

hello Julia,

I will ask but I think they will not answer me that easily. And so I asked on this forum with a bit of hope :)

however I have no difficult to play with English Expansions Version, but I am a collector too, and so I wish to have all in the same language.

about the BL2 let me tell you that the traslantion of the rules is quite good.

only few things are not completely clear.. for example the Lore Card Runic Sword, (it. Spada Runica), it's not clear how use it (throwing dices on the card.. i don't know)