Expansions...

By Elliphino, in BattleLore

... Because BL2 is already 3 weeks old and we need more.

Given that Orcs, Elves, Skeletons and Dwarves all appear on command cards, I'm feeling safe in saying those faction expansions will be forthcoming.

The Onslaught card features an army that looks vaguely like Saracens, they could be elves though, or another faction. Of course it could just be random art. But FFG has a certain economy with art, i.e., they tend to use the same piece of art in multiple locations, so I am inclined to believe that this is also an easter egg. Same for the Counter Attack card. It features heavily armored knights and a Dragon. It is not obvious what faction either belongs to.

Is there someone with more background in the Runebound universe that might be able to make some plausible deductions about what factions these might be, if any?

Also, any rumors or guesses as to what might be in the new expansion packs? Total speculation, but I think we'll see:

- Base Faction sets for at least orcs, elves, dwarves, and undead

- Expansion packs for existing factions. I'll bet they will be clamshell boxes of individual units a la X-Wing and Descent Lieutenants

- Scenario Packs. I'm betting these will feature additional terrain types and a small set of scenario cards for each faction. May also include non-aligned minis for things like monsters, dragons, etc. So either they are independent AI, or could be used with any faction.

Just speculation, but I'd love some rumors, confirmation/disconfirmation if anyone has some.

Edited by Elliphino

Oh, and of course I just noticed that there is an undead looking dude on the box who is not associated with either base set faction.

Yup I noticed the same. And given that rune age has all six factions I believe/hope this one will too. I've also been waiting for runewars to expand to dwarves and orcs.

Darken the Skies and Cavalry Charge cards feature Undead and Elves too!

Oh, and of course I just noticed that there is an undead looking dude on the box who is not associated with either base set faction.

Not meaning to be a party pooper, but if you mean what I think you mean (that being the one on the top side at http://thegaminggang.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BattleLoreSecondEdition-320x205-1387738791.jpg ) - that's a new version of the Uthuk Warlock from Runewars, I believe. ( http://www.tabletophell.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/runewars-uthuk-warlock1.png )

... not that he's in the game in any way. Yet. ;)

Edited by LoneWolf2k1

I always assumed that individual was some sort of hero character that just hasn't received any lore yet (or has lore I don't know about since I haven't played any Descent or Runebound). It looks too unique to be just a unit to my eyes, so I don't think it is a Warlock. But I also don't think it's one of Waiqar's undead.

Dwarves and elves...together in one expansion...FFG, please do this and just take my money!

Given that Orcs, Elves, Skeletons and Dwarves all appear on command cards, I'm feeling safe in saying those faction expansions will be forthcoming.

If orcs appear as a faction on their own, it would probably be the savage orcs of the broken plains, as opposed to the orcs who live among the Free Cities.

Latari Elves, Waiqar the Undying's undead and Dunwarr Dwarves are the other factions which have been introduced in other games following the "new" lore (ie: the new Terrinoth lore after Runewars retconned in the old fluff from battlemist/DiskWars), together with the Daqan Lords and the Uthuk Y'llan.

The Onslaught card features an army that looks vaguely like Saracens, they could be elves though, or another faction. Of course it could just be random art. But FFG has a certain economy with art, i.e., they tend to use the same piece of art in multiple locations, so I am inclined to believe that this is also an easter egg. Same for the Counter Attack card. It features heavily armored knights and a Dragon. It is not obvious what faction either belongs to.

I can't find images of these cards online and I don't own BL 2.0 myself, so I can't see the images you're talking about.

Aside from the six factions discussed above, there were two other factions in Battlemist/DiskWars that I know of, those being the Dragons and the Acolytes.

A faction of dragons would have to be the Dragonlords in Terrinoth mythology. The Acolytes were basically a "faction" of mages who have been amalgamated into Daqan based on the fluff from Runewars. They opposed the Uthuk Y'llan in ages past, and half of them later followed Waiqar into undeath.

The Dragonlords could certainly return for another go, or FFG could create some "historical" scenarios surrounding the Dragon Wars that already happened.

The Acolytes faction could be reintroduced as the Rune Keepers. The Rune Keepers are a group of mage-types who operate within the Free Cities, monitoring the tutoring and use of rune magic. They seem to be part of the Daqan baronies at first glance, but they could as easily be a separate faction who are simply allied (for now.)

Edit: I found an excel spreadsheet of DiskWars factions that mentioned tow other factions: the Mahkim and the K'Ryth. The Mahkim are a tribal race of four-armed amphibians who appeared in the Mysts of Zanaga expansion for Runebound, so there's a foothold for them already in the Terrinoth setting.

I have no idea what the K'Ryth are.

Edited by Steve-O

It looks too unique to be just a unit to my eyes, so I don't think it is a Warlock. But I also don't think it's one of Waiqar's undead.

Edited by Steve-O

Still eagerly awaiting an official announcement!

Still eagerly awaiting an official announcement!

Same! This is one of the few games that I get to play regularly with it being a 2 player game. I'm just waiting for FFG to make the announcement and shortly after, take my money!

I can't find a clean shot of the box art, but if I'm not mistaken, it looks like the same dude from the Uthuk lore card "Dark Pact." I agree that it's probably new Warlock art.

There you go:

http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a553/lonewolf2k12/IMG_1957_zpsbe0a4ab3.jpg

I'm not so sure I'm following you guys. To what extent is this picture related to a new expansion? It looks like art from the core set, printed on one of the sides of the box

Think their talking about the art on the cards.

So, point is that since on the cover box we have some dude not included in the core set, then we must have an expansion arriving, correct?

We could infere the same by looking at the Scenario numbers: we have B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, but only A1. So, I guess, sooner or later an A2 will be presented.

Curious to see what's next

So, point is that since on the cover box we have some dude not included in the core set, then we must have an expansion arriving, correct?

We could infere the same by looking at the Scenario numbers: we have B1, B2, C1, C2, D1, D2, but only A1. So, I guess, sooner or later an A2 will be presented.

We could also infer the same from the fact that there's a little "FFG" diamond logo on the box. =P

We all know FFG loves expansions, and BattleLore 1 was pretty rife with faction packs and so on, from what I saw on shelves. It seems like a match made in heaven, so to speak.

And yeah, that guy on the box side is definitely the same guy from Dark Pact.

The artwork in BattleLore 2nd Ed. Features Waiqar undead, Latari elves, Orcs, and Dwarves. Based on units in Rune Age and Runewars we can expect to see the following:

Waiqar faction- Reanimates, Skeleton Archers, Dark Nights, Vampires, Great Wyrm.

Latari faction- Warriors, Archers, Leonx Riders, Forest Guardians, Pegasus Rider.

Orc faction- Ravagers, Warchiefs, Beast Masters, Lizard Riders, Giant Troll.

Dwarf faction- Guardians, Demolitionists, Sentinels, Digging Machines, War Machine.

Magic-using unit expansions:

Daqan- Novice Wizards

Uthuk- Warlocks

Waiqar- Necromancers

Latari- Sorceresses

Orc- Spirit Speaker

Dwarf- Forge Master

We should also expect additional terrain tiles, scenario cards, and lore cards, as well as additional boss-type units. To make the Dwarf faction work in BattleLore it will probably need new units not seen previously in Rune Age: Banners of War. Personally, I would be happy with just Waiqar and Latari faction expansions followed by unit, terrain, and card expansions for each faction. After that, Orcs and Dwarfs would be icing on the cake.

So how about it Fantasy Flight, sound good to you?

Edited by Dark Lord AJ

The artwork in BattleLore 2nd Ed. Features Waiqar undead, Latari elves, Orcs, and Dwarves. Based on units in Rune Age and Runewars we can expect to see the following:

Waiqar faction- Reanimates, Skeleton Archers, Dark Nights, Vampires, Great Wyrm.

Latari faction- Warriors, Archers, Leonx Riders, Forest Guardians, Pegasus Rider.

Orc faction- Ravagers, Warchiefs, Beast Masters, Lizard Riders, Giant Troll.

Dwarf faction- Guardians, Demolitionists, Sentinels, Digging Machines, War Machine.

Magic-using unit expansions:
Daqan- Novice Wizards
Uthuk- Warlocks
Waiqar- Necromancers
Latari- Sorceresses
Orc- Spirit Speaker
Dwarf- Forge Master

We should also expect additional terrain tiles, scenario cards, and lore cards, as well as additional boss-type units. To make the Dwarf faction work in BattleLore it will probably need new units not seen previously in Rune Age: Banners of War. Personally, I would be happy with just Waiqar and Latari faction expansions followed by unit, terrain, and card expansions for each faction. After that, Orcs and Dwarfs would be icing on the cake.

So how about it Fantasy Flight, sound good to you?

Well, I don't know about them, but it sounds perfect to me :D

What are they waiting for?? Give me some magic loving dudes already :) :)

Ok, so some time passed from the release now and still no expansion was annouced. Does anyone have any news about this game? is FFG going to make expansions with new fractions to play?

Based on Runewars I would say that Latari Elves could be in a box against Waiqar the Necromanser, and the other box could be Dwarfs vs Orcs. It would be great to see something new announced for this game or should we wait for GenCon 2014?

Cheers

I want expansions ! This game is just great.

The lack of expansions, or even the announcement/rumor of any expansions for this game is a bit troubling. I initially thought maybe it was due to the miniatures taking a while to make/design. Then I looked at all of the Descent content that has been pumped out since this game has been released and it does make you wonder...

I agree. It's starting to trouble me as well. I was really anticipating a GenCon 2014 release of the next expansion, but now I'm starting to feel like it will be a GenCon announcement instead.

I totaly agre, it all looks like FFg is waiting for GenCon 2014 to announce something.

Cheers

I hope they announce something by then because I am nervous too. Diskwars has already had a big expansion rollout and I thought that came out around the same time as Battlelore.

I need an expansion too :)