Generation & Advancement: How I did it by Victor "Madpoet" Frankenstein

By madpoet, in WFRP House Rules

Toughness is too important in WFRP3 so I tried to fix it

1/character's starting Wounds depends only on races instead of TO. Humans start with 12, dwarves with 14, elves and halflings with 11.

2/Characters's corruption threshold now is fixed to 10 instead of being based on TO.

I also changed "a few" other things to enhance realism and speed up the game....

3/Expertise (white dice) bonus to characteristics are not used with my house rules.

4/A character can gain a single talent per Rank. The gained talents can be always used and don't need to be socketed to the career sheet.

5/Epic Level optional rule (4° + RANK) Action cards specialization (spell included): every action card can be trained and gain a single Fortune Die. Specialization on basic defenses doesn't add black dice to enemy attack but is needed to before obtaining Improved and Advanced versions.

6/To achieve the nex rank a character must spend 10 xp as following: : 1 wound, 1 talent, 1 skill, 1 action, 6 as he want.

Buying more skills, wounds, action cards than allowed by caree increase the cost by 1 xp.

1. I think a variant fix might be: Toughness 5 does not grant bonus wounds (caps at 4). Toughness 6 works at (-1), etcetera.

2. That's probably fair, but might be a bit nit-picky and just clutter up your house rulebook. A GM can still slap a high toughness character around with more insanities :)

3. Good choice. The bonus [fortune] white die in characteristics just encouraged dice bloat. Don't forget you'll need to deal with the careers that have "fortune dice" in their advance list. I see you deal with this in #6 below.

4. Good idea.

5. Sounds fair.

6. Do you mean "next career?" Some players may decide to load up on channellign and spellcraft or 6 wounds :)

A way we found to lessen the importance of To was to remove it from the soak equation. That is, we played with Soak = Armour + Shield only.

To balance the mechanics, Strength was removed from the damage equation as well and we used the optional rule of Higher lethality presented in the Game Master's Toolkit , were each extra success = +1 damage; that is Damage = Weapon damage + 1 per extra success.

It worked fine for us.

Yepes

Edited by Yepesnopes

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I'm not a fan of Toughness/Constitution soaking but to change the rule will change too much the game system.

I think that TO should not give both extra wounds and soak. This is redundant , wrong and unbalancing.

TO is too important.

Also allowing extra successes to deal extra damage will change the balance of many attack action cards.

Also allowing extra successes to deal extra damage will change the balance of many attack action cards.

I always found this optional rule one of the best proposed by the guys of FFG. Apparently they liked it too since it is a core rule in the new Star Wars game. But it is a matter of taste.

Anyway, I would not worry by the balance of the action cards, there was never such a thing in Warhammer 3 ;)

Cheers,

Yepes

Edited by Yepesnopes

I've been tempted to base Corruption Threshold on Willpower instead of Toughness, to spread out the love between the stats and encourage PC wizards to dabble in the dark arts.

I think corruption threshhold should be based on whatever a player's dump stat is. That would be a really simple house rule.

I really like the rule but at the same time there are cards that need 3 hammers or a couple of eagle just to get +2 damage or less.

good rule Emirikol! unfortunately I like to appear a really fair Game Master. Every time I suggest a new rule (75% is against the characters) my players just accept it without complaining (too much ;) )

The optional rule from the GM's toolkit limits the bonus damage from successes (past the best success line on the card) to a maximum equal to your ranks in the skill being used. So it's not quite as open-ended as I understand the EotE system to be.

I was not aware of this optional rule. I'll think about it.