Movement: How I did it by Victor "Madpoet" Frankenstein

By madpoet, in WFRP House Rules

My goal was to keep the semplicity of abstract movement but at the same time adding more realism.

With my rule system a character has 2 actions each round.

One is called MOVE action and allow movement.

The other is called BASIC action and can be used for action cards, speaking and similar or to increase the move action.

Using both actions just to move allow the character to move of 2 distance units without any risk. If the character want to move 3 units he must pass an Athletics check with 1 purple die or 2 dices if he want to move 4 units.

Some armors give malus to Athletics checks.

If the check is failed the final movement is only 2 units and the character takes 1 fatigue point.

Let's speak now about distances .

To move from engaged to close are needed 2 distance units (only one not engaged with enemy ), to move from close to medium 1 distance unit, from medium to long are needed 2 units, from long to extreme 3 distance units.

Example: A character engaged with enemies want to flee to medium distance. He will need to use both actions (move and basic) befor trying to move 3 distance units.

To run such distance he'll must pass a Athletics check with 1 purple with the risk of stopping at close distance and getting 1 fatigue point.

I also found that action cards with an ongoing effects (like many spells) were scarcely used.

I tried to solve the problem with the following rule:

Recharge tokens of action cards with a ongoing effect ca be kept using a move action. Otherwise tokens can be mantained taking 1 fatigue (or stress for spells or mental action cards) per round.

It think this summarizes as:

Sacrifice an action to get a free maneuver (move)

Additional movement requires a successful athletic checks.

Recharging actions can continue recharges with a maneuver or fatigue

How about other maneuvers of the game such as assist?

I never liked assist or similar rules in rpg I played. The rule was often abused by players.

For combat there are many action cards which can be considered a kind of assist and for others situations I prefer to judge case by case what kind of help can be given.