Who wants the Slaught back ?

By GauntZero, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Me !

Why ?

Because they were a kind of unique enemy.

Very lethal, very mysterious, very ugly ! ;D

Would love them to have a comeback in DH2 !

You too ?

I'd rather they focus on new things in the new sector, rather than retread old ground. More content is always welcomed (providing it's good content).

Nothing's stopping you from using the Slaught in your DH2e campaigns, even if they're not in the book.

I always thought the Slaught were criminally underused, and if the new sector is really somewhere in the vicinity, then I wouldn't mind them making an appearance again at some point, but new stuff takes priority if you ask me.

Officially them being mentioned as being present there would already be enough for me - they dont need an own campaign or something (although they really do have a lot of potential).

I like them wearing others skins and infiltrating important positions to increase their power.

Why do they need to be mentioned though if they're not going to be addressed in any meaningful capacity? It's not like there's some iron clad rules forcing you to adhere 100 percent to what FFG's canon says.

I like to stick to a scenario given.

For the same reason, I wouldnt put Tau into the Calixis sector.

So if the slaught have a presence in Askellon, I would love to use them, but if they are not, I wouldnt like to use them.

Maybe that sounds strange, but I like a given scenario to be kept.

I must be in a minority then. Personally I find the Slaught to be only slightly more interesting that blank pages, but luckily I can just ignore them gain if the crop up again :)

I think the Slaugth were great however I think they should be left for the Calixis Sector and new aliens made up for Askellon.

Me !

Why ?

Because they were a kind of unique enemy.

Very lethal, very mysterious, very ugly ! ;D

Would love them to have a comeback in DH2 !

You too ?

There's nothing stopping you from useing them! Their profiles from DH1 would still be usable with minimal effort in DH2.

Yeah - I know...but that wouldnt be real somehow ;D

I would like to see some new alien races that fit the Askellon Sector fleshed out in detail. Tyrannids, Tau and Eldar are great and all, but we have lots of background on those already. Such detail is probably beyond the scope of the core rulebook, but they could make for great supplement material.

The Slaught don't make sense as archvillains.

They want to eat sentient creatures. That's it. Big deal. The Imperium recycles people into food all the time. The guys in Maggots weren't even harming anybody.

Moreover, why do they need a great villainous organization to do this? They just need to hang out in cemetaries.

maybe they just need a more worked out concept.

I never found the Slaught to be all that Scary. Just VERY alien. Now the Rak Gol, They're a bit more nasty!

I never found the Slaught to be all that Scary. Just VERY alien. Now the Rak Gol, They're a bit more nasty!

Due to "disintegrate" of their necroting sceptre, as a GM I didnt allow to burn a fate point for survival if you die from that weapon...that DID make them scary ;D

Some of the Slaught's slave creatures were pretty nasty too if I remember correctly! The problem is that FFG never really did put together how they represented any kind of major threat to Humanity.

The Slaught are exactly the kind of xenos that the Imperium could live amicably with. Just send them your corpses, presto, no problem.

bogi,

You seem to be forgetting that cranial innards that are fresh and living are a narcotic to the Slaug th . Why eat hamburger when you can have veal?

They indeed are a big threat in my opinion. Trying to harvest humans for their pleasure and taste, running corporations to keep humanity ignorant to their plans.

I'm more disappointed we never got any further on the Yu'vath. Now they could have been an threat,

I think in general it would be better to really flesh out 2-3 of the yet invented xenos than to bring new ones that also never really get fleshed out.

Why not go much deeper into Slaugth, Yu'vath & Rak Gol ?

In a possible later Ordo Xenos Supplement, it would be great to get a huge dedicated chapter for those three xeno races.

Edited by GauntZero

And Stryxis! I love me some dog fetus gypsy Xenos

This thread is actually a reaction to a statement I made elsewhere , hoping that the new sector is in Ultima Segmentum, so that we can incorporate the full range of iconic 40K villains (some of which exist mainly or exclusively in Ultima) rather than placing it near Calixis and thus artificially limiting access to those adversaries for no good reason.

Don't get me wrong: I like the Calixis Sector and its unique threats (I'm the guy that complied the Encyclopaedia Calixia , after all). I've had (and am still having) fun using at the setting for my DH1 campaign. That's one of the reasons why I don't want the new sector to seem like a retread of Calixis. If you prefer playing in Segmentum Obscurus rather than Ultima, fine: you can keep using Calixis. AD&D players didn't unanimously drop the World of Greyhawk setting when Second Edition came out and adopted the Forgotten Realms as the game's 'official' setting.

What's wrong with having two very different settings to choose from? Why does one have to be shackled to the other, porting over it's inherent disadvantages and thus starkly limiting variety?

If Askelon Sector does turn out to be in Ultima (Emperor willing), you can still incorporate the Slaught if you want: there was a small population of maggot-men hiding on a Space Hulk that was drifting through the warp for centuries, eventually spitting out in far-away Ultima Segmentum and unleashing an unknown menace on an unsuspecting new sector...

Edited by Adeptus-B

Well DH2 is set years nearly 180 years later, so many of the threats have spread. Tyranids are everywhere, Necrona are awakening all over.

It's really only the Tau that needs some special Justification, and it's not hard to say that in those 180 years, a few of their ships made it through the Reach Warp Gate, and into Koronus, which borders Askellon and Calixis.

What else do you need? Everyone is already there

Well DH2 is set years nearly 180 years later, so many of the threats have spread. Tyranids are everywhere, Necrona are awakening all over.

It's really only the Tau that needs some special Justification, and it's not hard to say that in those 180 years, a few of their ships made it through the Reach Warp Gate, and into Koronus, which borders Askellon and Calixis.

What else do you need? Everyone is already there

The best use of Tau in Dark Heresy would be the 'battle for the Hearts and Minds' of Imperial citizens. Tau like to sway populations into joining their cause rather than resort to military conquest if possible: perfect 'battle of wits' material for DH , as Acolytes try to locate Tau spies, sniff out impending insurrections, and generally fight heresy (xeno-based rather than Chaos-based, for a change). Those aren't really viable storylines if the 'local' Tau consist of a couple ships absurdly far from home.

And the big difference in timeline makes 'crossovers' between Askelon and Calixis problematic: how has the setting changed in the interim? Especially considering the ending of The Apostacy Gambit , which [spoiler warning] leaves the Sector in turmoil, it would be a massive let-down to just say "Well, everything is pretty much like it was back in 870M41...".

So, what's the supposed 'advantage' of making Askelon adjacent to Calixis, and how does that offset the substantial disadvantages?