Strategies to beat Kairos?

By guillaumetexas, in Relic

In the whirlwind that is boxing day, my friend and I decided to take on Kairos Fateweaver after a game of Relic on Christmas day.

Needless to say, we failed and died.

I was playing with the inquisitor and I had Hectius Storm and STC fragment relics. My friend was playing the Tech prinest Enginseer and had Magna Mysteris and Litany of Protection relics.

We both got to Kairos "relatively" unscathed. I was a bit more corrupt, and out of power cards.

For both of us, the first two rounds of combat with Kairos were fine. I was maxed on strength with a chainsword and my friend was maxed on cunning and he had a needle rifle. Still, by the time each of us had 2 tokens on the confrontation, we just kept losing.

There was no way we could come close. With 3 tokens, Kairos had essentialy 5D6 battle value. My friend came close to putting a fourth token but in the end we died.

Anyone has any strategies to deal with kairos?

I feel that a particular combination of relic/asset might be needed to take on Kairos. Maybe we should have waited to get 3 Relics, but I made a go early on for the win.

I can see that having the Relic: Soul render and the Golden Armour would be a powerful combo against Kairos. The first 2 rounds should net 2 power cards with the Soul Render which can then be used in conjunction with the Golden Armour for round 3 and 4 to increase the battle value to a high value.

Still we feel that Kairos is no easy task.

I think Kairos has never won a round of combat in our games. Or at least has been, in the words of Darth Vader: "All too easy."

Snippets from my logs:

"Assassin fails at the Garden of Nurgle, but doesn't get hit with a crippling corruption, so she doesn't really mind, passing through the Fortress of Khorne and Maze of Tzeentch unhindered. But it seems Kairos is ready for her, packing cunning 11 in the first battle, yet she easily defeats him, using a Power card to clean up her corruption. Kairos gets only slightly tougher, cunning 13, but loses anyways. Third battle, Assassin uses Ambush to guarantee her victory by denying Kairos, cunning 16 from rolling a die and winning. Fourth battle, Kairos regresses, down to cunning 15 and the Assassin uses her double cunning Power card to hit cunning 30. Kairos fails to explode his die and the Assassin wins."

"All the Inquisitor can do is hope the Captain fails and he might have a shot. Sadly, Kairos doesn't seem up to the task, having only strength seven in the first two battles, which the Captain wins without rolling. Even strength 11 proves insufficient and the Captain has yet to touch a die, but he does complete a Mission, gaining another four Power cards. Fourth battle, Kairos is up to strength 16, but the Captain calmly doubles his strength total to 27 and plays a Power card preventing Kairos from rolling a die, thus completing his rout by defeating Kairos four times without rolling a die once in the confrontations, winning handily. " (hilarious)

"Psyker passes too, then the Canoness makes her way through the Fortress of Khorne, but the Ogryn is up next and he reaches the center of the Warp Rift to confront Kairos. Instead of picking willpower, which is his highest attribute at 15 in battle, Ogryn picks strength. Since Kairos cannot explode his dice in strength battles, the Ogryn wins the first two rounds easily, against strength four and strength eight Kairos. Continuing to pick strength, Ogryn defeats a strength 13 Kairos without having to use his Power card or a token from his special ability. Final round, Kairos is pulling out all the stops at strength 22, but without exploding dice and hampered by a Cloud of Flies from the Ogryn, who in turn explodes three times, Kairos is defeated and the Ogryn wins."

"However, as the Assassin is already preparing for her assault, the others can only watch and hope she is vanquished, which doesn't seem that likely. First battle, Kairos is utterly overwhelmed, as he is in the second battle, although the Assassin does use a charge from her Executor Pistol. Third battle sees her win after using the last charges from her Executor Pistol and Frag Grenades and as Kairos goes up to 20 cunning for the fourth battle, situation seems to be turning. But the Assassin uses a Power card to double her cunning, which means she is at 26 vs 20 and with Kairos rolling a five, she doesn't even need to roll to finish Kairos, winning in under an hour."

"Rogue Trader enters the Palace of Slaanesh, but that's as far as he gets, as the Canoness reaches the center of the Warp Rift the very next turn. She has a willpower of 17, with a Force Sword for +3 with two charges and a hand full of Power cards. First two battles, she beats Kairos without needing either the Force Sword or a Power card, then uses her Force Sword in the third battle, which sees Kairos at his strongest, 17 willpower as well, but a poor roll allows the Canoness to defeat him using a Power card worth three. Fourth and final battle, Kairos is only a 16, against the Canoness's 20 with the Force Sword, and after failing to have his die explode, Kairos is quickly put down with a Power card of six, another win for the Canoness."

Basically, Ambush to deny him a roll and double X Power card for your highest value = profit.

Yeah, I think we had kairos draw some serious power cards. We had Kairos pull over 20 battle points almost all the times especially when Kairos was drawing 5 cards.

Out of all game cards, I think Kairos is the best. I like how he is so random! Out of the games we have played, I've never seen Kairos vanquish a player.

You need to gain Relics and Assets that generate Power cards. This way you'll have more control over the power deck.If you hold on to the highest numbered cards, Kiaros, will be left scraping the bottom.

Kairos managed to vanquish a player in 3 games of the many we played

You need to gain Relics and Assets that generate Power cards. This way you'll have more control over the power deck.If you hold on to the highest numbered cards, Kiaros, will be left scraping the bottom.

Kairos managed to vanquish a player in 3 games of the many we played.

We also had two odd losses to him. Basically, both of us came not fully prepared to face him, and there was nothing we could do to match his escalating prowess. So, we admitted defeat.

Double post.

Edited by zealot12

Good point Zealot12 about the relic and the power cards. We did go in way too soon with barely 2 relics and some life. I think Kairos demands a bit more respect.

We have been playing the chaos spawn homebrew ending that has been posted here and there is also a high level of randomness there which is great fun.

We will fight Kairos again. And then, we will dominate.

Finished off the pre-Nemesis games of Relic (come on ship, sail faster :D ). Kairos has been used seven times, fought 28 times and always beaten four straight the turn a character reaches the center.

Last two games with Kairos ended thusly:

"Assassin can only watch and hope Kairos will be a match for the Ratling, nothing else she can do as she is making her way back to the Middle Tier. Ratling engages Kairos after passing through the Maze of Tzeentch. First round of combat, Kairos looks weak with Cunning 7, but an exploding die forces the Ratling to use one of his Power cards of value six. Second round of combat, Kairos is up to an 11, but this time rolls too poorly, Ratling's Cunning 13 enough. Third round, Kairos packs a 14, but another Power card six sees the Ratling victorious. Fourth round, Kairos gets up to a 15 and even explodes his die, but the Ratling uses his third Power card six and rolls an explosion to boot, defeating Kairos and winning the game."

and

"Ogryn reaches the center of the Warp Rift and begins the Confrontation with Kairos. At Strength 7, Kairos is no match for the Ogryn. Nor is he much more of a match even at Str 12 and rolling a 6, Ogryn's ability prevening Kairos's die from exploding and the Ogryn has three tokens on his sheet to guarantee explosions for himself. Kairos keeps getting stronger, Str 15 next, but a low rolls leaves the Ogryn with another easy victory, pushing him to the cusp of overall victory. Kairos isn't going down without a fight, Str 20 and a roll of 5 giving the Ogryn a little pause, but using a Power card six, then his ability, he burshes aside Kairos to win."

Edited by Dam

I think Kairos has never won a round of combat in our games. Or at least has been, in the words of Darth Vader: "All too easy."

Snippets from my logs:

"Assassin fails at the Garden of Nurgle, but doesn't get hit with a crippling corruption, so she doesn't really mind, passing through the Fortress of Khorne and Maze of Tzeentch unhindered. But it seems Kairos is ready for her, packing cunning 11 in the first battle, yet she easily defeats him, using a Power card to clean up her corruption. Kairos gets only slightly tougher, cunning 13, but loses anyways. Third battle, Assassin uses Ambush to guarantee her victory by denying Kairos, cunning 16 from rolling a die and winning. Fourth battle, Kairos regresses, down to cunning 15 and the Assassin uses her double cunning Power card to hit cunning 30. Kairos fails to explode his die and the Assassin wins."

"All the Inquisitor can do is hope the Captain fails and he might have a shot. Sadly, Kairos doesn't seem up to the task, having only strength seven in the first two battles, which the Captain wins without rolling. Even strength 11 proves insufficient and the Captain has yet to touch a die, but he does complete a Mission, gaining another four Power cards. Fourth battle, Kairos is up to strength 16, but the Captain calmly doubles his strength total to 27 and plays a Power card preventing Kairos from rolling a die, thus completing his rout by defeating Kairos four times without rolling a die once in the confrontations, winning handily. " (hilarious)

"Psyker passes too, then the Canoness makes her way through the Fortress of Khorne, but the Ogryn is up next and he reaches the center of the Warp Rift to confront Kairos. Instead of picking willpower, which is his highest attribute at 15 in battle, Ogryn picks strength. Since Kairos cannot explode his dice in strength battles, the Ogryn wins the first two rounds easily, against strength four and strength eight Kairos. Continuing to pick strength, Ogryn defeats a strength 13 Kairos without having to use his Power card or a token from his special ability. Final round, Kairos is pulling out all the stops at strength 22, but without exploding dice and hampered by a Cloud of Flies from the Ogryn, who in turn explodes three times, Kairos is defeated and the Ogryn wins."

"However, as the Assassin is already preparing for her assault, the others can only watch and hope she is vanquished, which doesn't seem that likely. First battle, Kairos is utterly overwhelmed, as he is in the second battle, although the Assassin does use a charge from her Executor Pistol. Third battle sees her win after using the last charges from her Executor Pistol and Frag Grenades and as Kairos goes up to 20 cunning for the fourth battle, situation seems to be turning. But the Assassin uses a Power card to double her cunning, which means she is at 26 vs 20 and with Kairos rolling a five, she doesn't even need to roll to finish Kairos, winning in under an hour."

"Rogue Trader enters the Palace of Slaanesh, but that's as far as he gets, as the Canoness reaches the center of the Warp Rift the very next turn. She has a willpower of 17, with a Force Sword for +3 with two charges and a hand full of Power cards. First two battles, she beats Kairos without needing either the Force Sword or a Power card, then uses her Force Sword in the third battle, which sees Kairos at his strongest, 17 willpower as well, but a poor roll allows the Canoness to defeat him using a Power card worth three. Fourth and final battle, Kairos is only a 16, against the Canoness's 20 with the Force Sword, and after failing to have his die explode, Kairos is quickly put down with a Power card of six, another win for the Canoness."

Basically, Ambush to deny him a roll and double X Power card for your highest value = profit.

Hi Dam; may you help me giving me some clues and suggested strategies in order to beat the Dark Crusade Scenario introduced by the last Relic expansion ?!?

I mean: it is months since I bought it and I still have to see that scenario beaten... Me and my "team" played that dozens of times but it seems "corrupted" somehow (let me pass this "joke of words") since it fills Sol Tier with Corruption Cards and players boards too... And rarely you can deplete the Corruption Card stack you own or clean up the Sol Tiers of its corruption too...

May you help me than ?!?

I will be thankful dude... Really thankful alot !!!

Snippets from my logs:

Hi Dam; may you help me giving me some clues and suggested strategies in order to beat the Dark Crusade Scenario introduced by the last Relic expansion ?!?

I mean: it is months since I bought it and I still have to see that scenario beaten... Me and my "team" played that dozens of times but it seems "corrupted" somehow (let me pass this "joke of words") since it fills Sol Tier with Corruption Cards and players boards too... And rarely you can deplete the Corruption Card stack you own or clean up the Sol Tiers of its corruption too...

May you help me than ?!?

I will be thankful dude... Really thankful alot !!!

Sorry, can't help you there. Don't have Halls of Terra expansion yet, not sure if I'll even pick it up, Nemesis expansion ended up being more disappointing than positive, Relic's kinda lost its pull for the moment.

In the whirlwind that is boxing day, my friend and I decided to take on Kairos Fateweaver after a game of Relic on Christmas day.

Needless to say, we failed and died.

I was playing with the inquisitor and I had Hectius Storm and STC fragment relics. My friend was playing the Tech prinest Enginseer and had Magna Mysteris and Litany of Protection relics.

We both got to Kairos "relatively" unscathed. I was a bit more corrupt, and out of power cards.

For both of us, the first two rounds of combat with Kairos were fine. I was maxed on strength with a chainsword and my friend was maxed on cunning and he had a needle rifle. Still, by the time each of us had 2 tokens on the confrontation, we just kept losing.

There was no way we could come close. With 3 tokens, Kairos had essentialy 5D6 battle value. My friend came close to putting a fourth token but in the end we died.

Anyone has any strategies to deal with kairos?

I feel that a particular combination of relic/asset might be needed to take on Kairos. Maybe we should have waited to get 3 Relics, but I made a go early on for the win.

I can see that having the Relic: Soul render and the Golden Armour would be a powerful combo against Kairos. The first 2 rounds should net 2 power cards with the Soul Render which can then be used in conjunction with the Golden Armour for round 3 and 4 to increase the battle value to a high value.

Still we feel that Kairos is no easy task.

SIMPLE TASK:

Use the "Mentalist Character" and use wisely its skill "to gain a power card per turn"; pump him up with the correct mix of Relics and Wargears and (if you own the HoT expansion) use the character "Imperial Champion Seal" (that grants him to add 1 more POWER CARDS above its POWER LIMIT and SAVE AS MANY power cards "labelled" with "6"s and "5"s and forward to battle Kairos !!! (Praying the Emperor favors you today; making the cards drawn by Kairos in order to raise its battle rolls score t be labelled as "2"s or "3"s and no more !!! LOL ).

Kairos is a very funny Boss to play against - once I see its stats go up and above 36 !!! And once I see it die badly because he was faced by a Space Marine Player with the correct mix of Relics and Power Cards...

In that last case in fact Kairos' best combat roll was 12 !!! While the Marine could total a good 10 / 12 as its "base combat roll" (and adding something more if he used its power cards / wargears / assets and other stuff like that in the correct mix and at the correct time !!!)...

It is one of my favourite scenarios due to its "unpredictableness" !!!