Update #4 is live...

By Tim Huckelbery, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

This is disappointing! I also had high hopes of this getting people together. I maintain I see no mechanical reason not to use an opposed dodge. The dive for cover makes no sense to me as written. (Although the new blood loss seems ok.) I suppose it will have to remain a house rule at many tables (And will become one at mine!)

To build on your comment, I too was particularly puzzled by the details and timing of the new Dive For Cover defensive option.

At the same time they switched back to the very pro-defense binary Dodge, they pile it on by giving the defense this option of Diver for Cover. At the sole discretion of the target, if heavy cover is close (corner of a building say), why not take the +10 Dodge to get behind it?

I think Dive For Cover has real possibilities for contributing to a grand compromise on the most contentious issue of Beta2. I'd like to see typical Dodge be an Opposed Dodge. But in lieu of their next turn, a target can choose to Dive For Cover - affording them a Binary Dodge, benefit of cover if there's any within their Ag Bonus in meters & the Prone condition. Full explanation of the idea here:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/96209-compromise-between-binary-dodge-and-dos-dodge/#entry944019

While I don't have a particular issue with the idea of "Dive for cover", that is primarily because the target is STILL HIT but gains the benefit of said cover (Which may or may not save them depending on situation. Beware flamers!). I agree though that if we're going to have a rule such as "Dive for cover" than dodge should be an opposed roll (As it should be anyway!). In fact there is a glaring inconsistency in dodge right now in that binary dodge only really applies against a single shot! This has the effect of rendering any single shot almost useless except in a surprise situation (Especially in CQB). If this is the way Tim and the dev's want to do it that's not a deal breaker for me but it will remain an opposed roll in my game!

I really think it would be easy to make opposed evading a good option:

> dive for cover

> +10 against standard attacks (not against called shots)

> erase Inescapeable attack

Against VERY high DoS attacks, you have the chance to dive, if you are not full in the open.

With the +10, only attacks with DoS 3 get a benefit over evasions, attacks with 1 DoS are even dodged easier.

As an alternative, let each 2 attackers DoS impose -10 on evasion attempts.