Expansions

By player1310912, in General Discussion

So, we got the game this morning, and we are loving it. Played two games. Quicker than Arkham Horror, and dare I say it, more fun.

What form do you guys think the expansions will take, besides the obvious extra encounters, monsters and Ancient Ones? Could we see map expansions in other worlds?

Having extra maps wouldn't be a bad idea, but, from what I've seen so far (my copy hasn't arrived yet, but I read countless reviews / watched videos and stuff), some decks in the core game are to be reshuffled quite often, plus we have only 4 AOs, so I guess the first expansion(s) could be focused on adding some variability. Then? Who knows? As long as the game is good, I sense several expansions coming. Oh, man, can't wait to try!!!

Edited by Julia

Here's what I feel the game desperately needs from an expansion, in order:

• More encounter cards of all kinds, but particularly clue/special (the AO-specific ones)
  • Even just one Mystery card per AO. 3 out of 4 per game isn't quite enough for variety.
  • Mythos cards. There are only 12 blue (rumor) cards and even after 5 games I've seen enough of the same ones.
  • Dice. Just one or two.
  • Assets/Artifacts
  • Investigators/Ancient Ones
  • Spells
  • Monsters

The game should not have more condition cards, because already we're asked to search the deck and draw a specific one all the time . We don't need more to have to search through. It also doesn't need an additional board. What would the board even be for?

Edited by Tibs

Obviously the main thing the game needs is more research encounter cards. Having 8 per old one is inexcusable. At bare minimum there needs to be at least enough to go through a single game without shuffling the deck. I don't mind repeating encounters in different games, but it should never happen in the same game.

I'm going to have to disagree with Tibs on just about everything else. Especially on Investigators, Ancient Ones, Conditions, and spell cards. The only things I think the game is okay on the number of, is Monsters and assets.

Ancient Ones and Investigators are the #1 way to get variety between different plays. Right now, every 4 games will be "the same" in theme, and in a game that is as dependent on theme as Eldritch Horror, we really need more than that.

I would love to see more variety in the double sided cards. Obviously there shouldn't be more different TYPES of conditions, but having more of the same, with varying flip-effects would be great. The flip effects are my favorite part of Eldritch Horror, and it's easy to add more flip effects without diluting the ratio of unique conditions/spells.

With artifacts and how unique and special they are in Eldritch compared to Arkham, I really don't think you'll ever have enough of them. Getting an artifact in game is awesome, and you really can never have too much variety there.

As for new boards, I honestly hope that they don't do much there. I don't think the game needs it. However, it might be neat to have an "overlay" that adds plane travel to the board. Picture a clear plastic cover that is rolled over the board, that adds new ways to travel between locations as well as "air" encounters. That would be a new and unique way of adding more to the game, without making a whole new board. I especially don't think there needs to be an other world board. The reason being that gates aren't the focus of Eldritch like they were in Arkham. Instead, adding more mysteries and more ways of solving mysteries that don't require clue collection would be a better use of their design time.

I'm not saying I would be unhappy with more investigators and AOs, but I don't think new ones will be the key vector for variety. However, knowing what I know about FFG, an expansion to this game will almost certainly have both.

I beg to differ. Right now, the 4 different AO's are the only real vector for variety at all, though this has much to do with the lack of card variety. One thing you can say is that playing against Cthulhu provides a very different game experience to a game against Azathoth. That said, extra ancient ones are the quickest route to more variety. Extra investigators not so much. There's enough variety in the box to keep us going for a good while.

Extra maps really aren't a necessity, and there is a flight mechanic in the box with charter flights in the resources deck. I think that's enough really for the time period the game is set in.

I ve played a few times now and I find that Azathoth is only a challenge when being soloed with one investigator..i ve lost one and won one against him using 1 character and the one I won I won by the skin of my teeth...played him with 3 investigators and I slapped the F out of him

I do agree the game needs more encounter cards, especially those expedition cards.(the ones that use the token) The possibility of seeing the same encounters multiple times per game is really my only negative about the game. More Mythos cards would be nice for variety, but its not as necessary as encounters, since the Mythos deck is built like a game clock in EH.

I wouldn't mind more Ancient Ones as well. I would have preferred the Ancient One count to be on par on what was included with the Elder Sign Base set, though I do understand designing them for EH is much more complex than creating one for ES. Still, the variety would be welcome.

Lastly, I would like to see more condition cards. I feel they bring a lot to this game and not knowing exactly what a condition will ultimately do to you adds to the intensity of the game.

I'd agree that AOs are where the expansions are going to be focused. One big card, a couple dozen small cards and maybe a new epic monster token? Perfect for print on demand. And they've left themselves wide open for how they can mix things up. I mean, they win condition is on the AO card. That means they don't even necessarily need to do the Mystery deck. They can go CRAZY.

But I hope they don't do new AOs at the exclusion of the rest. So do put in as a +1 for wanting bigger decks for the base game. Encounters across the board (OW, research and regular) need more variety and hopefully soon before we've completely memorized the current set. And a few more mysteries for the base AOs please. I got quite unlucky and ended up facing the same mystery as the first mystery for my first two games... Even though I was doing a different AO!!

Assets I'm pretty happy with... But conditions I would sorta like to see more of. As C2K said not more types of conditions necessarily but more backs would be very welcome.

Edited by Fenyx

I ve played a few times now and I find that Azathoth is only a challenge when being soloed with one investigator..i ve lost one and won one against him using 1 character and the one I won I won by the skin of my teeth...played him with 3 investigators and I slapped the F out of him

That image made me LOL! :D

I thought that how they might handle extra locations is to create oversized tokens (the same size as the current major location spaces) that you just place on the board on the appropriate spot. Then you can have encounter cards corresponding to those places.

Edited by Bleached Lizard

After playing four games these are my thoughts. The game desperately needs more cards. There just isn't enough variety in the encounter decks. We need more Ancient Ones. Four just isn't enough at all.

What it doesn't need is extra boards. Unlike AH which does a great job of expanding the world with the additional boards, EH is fine as is.

Yes, all I can foresee as far as expansions are concerned, are card expansions (no boards are needed). I can see a couple new AO with appropriate cards, maybe 4 new investigators, and more cards for the various decks (as well as appropriate tokens).

It would be nice if they would release these expansions a little more often than they have for AH or MoM (as they are only going to be relatively small card expansions).

Just my thoughts.

I liked the idea of having more of those double sided cards. Is this one the really bad egg, or did you get lucky and just became a little bit grazy this time :-)

I allso liked the idea that there are more of those Ancient based cards. Not all of them has to be devasting, but just spice up the adventure with thematical encounters. In AH the dilution is a problem, so that is why I ended very quicly using very few expansions and all that I can get from Miskatonic expansion. So that the expansion theme would remain recogniseable.

So a little fit fatter decks, so more variety, but most of those should come from spesific Ancient and/or be the same there allready are, but with variation.

I have to disagree with the people who don't want more different types of condition cards (i.e, the fronts). They're obviously going to come, and I can think of a number of different new types off the top of my head just for Injuries and Madnesses, or from looking through the Trauma cards from MoM:

Depression: Lethargy, Hopelessness, Suicide

Schizophrenia: Twin Personality, Psychopathy, Bipolar

Delusions: Delusions of Grandeur, Panic, Overzealous

Phobia: Many and varied!

Head Injury: Concussion, Memory Loss, Loss of Vision

Arm Injury: Broken Arm, Fractured Arm, Dislocated Shoulder

Flesh Wound: Infected Wound, Severe Blood Loss, Hideous Scar

And beyond Injuries and Madnesses, we also have Restrictions, Deals, Boons and Banes that need fleshing out. I could imagine things like:

Port Restriction: Lost Passport, Stopped at Immigration, Unfriendly Captain

Yellow Sign: Mark of Hastur, Playing a Part, Mask of the Crawling Chaos

Not to mention many other condition types that could be invented: Relationship, Mission, Job, etc...

i play this game a lot since i got it 2 weeks ago. And yes there is just simple not enough cards…… We need some cards for all decks and new AO. I don't think we need some additional boards……is more then enough

I have played EH just once, so my impressions are quite limited. However, when I opened the Arkham Horror basic box for the first time I felt overwelmed with the amount of... everything! that was in there. With EH, not so much, honestly.

I really miss some all time classics among the non-euclidean big bad ones like Hastur, Nyarly (and his masks!) or Ithaqua.

I also miss some of my fave AH investigators, particularly Mike McGlen.

In terms of extra elements, I´d love to see the Orient Express, an expedition to Anctartica (Mountains of Madness anyone?) and Erich Zhan as an ally.

And of course, more variety on core cards.

More Ancient Ones would be good. The game feels incomplete to me without Hastur and Nyarlathotep.

An extra four(4) Research cards per AO would be solid. Special AO encounters are good for right now.

A extra eight(8) American, European, Pan-Asian and Generic encounters would be good.

Expedition and Other Worlds are good, but more is nice.

There needs to be more copies of certain cards. Assets, Spells, and Conditions are a bit limited for a full game. There are only three Blessing cards for instance, which means more than half the players can't take one in a full game, and with only one copy of each Asset card there is a fair likelihood of a fresh Investigator's starting equipment being already taken. So some redundant copies couldn't hurt.

I just got this game, and after just one game I think I'm in agreement for more cards already. Something I found quite literally shocking about the game is the fact there are only four Ancient Ones! Four seems hardly enough when compared with the base set of AH. So I guess that will likely be first on the list.

I'd like to see expansions based on themes, as with the small box AH ones. Could 'The King in Yellow' go global? I'd hope for some sort of similar implementation, anyway. I'm consistently way off the mark when I try to guess how FFG plan to expand their games, however, so I shall leave my speculation at that!

What I would expect, at least, is an announcement about it by Easter! :D

I think people are missing the point. Each Ancient One in Eldritch Horror is a commpletely separate scenario, and the goals are far more varied. (not just seal gates or gear up for the final battle)

So, instead of creating redundancy by packing the game with four more Ancient Ones who could've been only slight variants of each other, they presented us with four unique scenarios.

I have faith in FFG that the first expansion will give us the four missing AO's from Arkham' base package,bringing a unique flavor to each, while supplementing the thin decks with extra cards.

Edited by zealot12

Just my two cents on the topic. Point is that while an AO in Arkham was simply a "piece of paper" with some info on, AOs in Eldritch come with a lot of stuff: a Research Deck and a Special Encounter Deck, so that actually adding 4 AOs in one single expansion could mean another box the size of EH.

Plus, don't forget the code on pag 11 of the Rulebook was cracked :

we have foreseen this
the messenger dwells in the distant past and waits for us in our future
it lives within our dreams and watches us from alien stars
it hides in our houses of law and defiles our temples
the crawling chaos approaches wearing many masks and soon we will all bow before Nyarlathotep

so, my guess is that we'll see a Nyarlathotep-themed expansion loaded with cards (and monsters! I do really hope to have all Masks as Epic monsters) sooner or later

Just my two cents on the topic. Point is that while an AO in Arkham was simply a "piece of paper" with some info on, AOs in Eldritch come with a lot of stuff: a Research Deck and a Special Encounter Deck, so that actually adding 4 AOs in one single expansion could mean another box the size of EH.

Plus, don't forget the code on pag 11 of the Rulebook was cracked :

we have foreseen this

the messenger dwells in the distant past and waits for us in our future

it lives within our dreams and watches us from alien stars

it hides in our houses of law and defiles our temples

the crawling chaos approaches wearing many masks and soon we will all bow before Nyarlathotep

so, my guess is that we'll see a Nyarlathotep-themed expansion loaded with cards (and monsters! I do really hope to have all Masks as Epic monsters) sooner or later

Very interesting and kind of light split idea.

FFG can make expansion in this game that way:

Small box where is a 1 AO with his monsters and cards + a bit additional cards for all decks in game. that way it can be very small easy to sell and also can be a lot of them practicaly endless..... same like a packs for they lcg system.

As others have stated there really needs to be more cards, to me a new expansion:

Needs to have:

8 location specific encounter cards (America, Europe and Asia/Australia)

4-8 generic encounter cards (Sea, Wildernes and City)

4-8 research cards for each AO

1-2 Extra mystery card(s) for each AO

1-2 New AOs with the same increased amount of research and mystery cards

As pointed out before there goes a lot more work and materials into making new AOs for this game, so I would be fine with only 1 or 2 with every expansion, as long as their mystery and research decks are big enough.

And what would be nice to have, but not as critically needed as the above:

4 Investigators

1 New condition, tied to the expansion theme (Yellow sign, Innsmouth Look etc)

1 New back for each of the existing spells and conditions

1-2 Spells

4-6 Artifacts and assets

3-5 new mythos card for each category

What i really dont think the game needs for now (but will probably get anyway) is:

New Monsters, there are more than enough of these, a few more epic monsters would be better perhaps.

The special encounters for Cthulhu and Yog-Sothoth are fine as is, as they wont come up in every game involving these AOs.

The expedtion deck is also the right size as you wont be using that deck as heavily as the other location and research encounters.

As it is now you will see the same encounters in the second or even in the same game, depending on group size, and that is simply not good enough. I hope there comes an expansions soon, I may leave the game on the shelf until that is the case, so as not to learn all the cards already.

Agreed on the 'needs to have' section man! Upgraded card amounts to supplement what's in the base set, plus a new AO with upgraded amounts, a few specific monsters (probably Epic at least) would be the necessary elements.

I'd still love to see a couple of new investigators in each expansion. Wouldn't take long to make since they're recycling concepts from every other FFG/Cthulhu game!

What I love best about that idea is that you could have a whack of smaller and cheaper expansions. After the first one you wouldn't need too many other general cards too (but I'm betting FFG would do it anyway - at least I haven't seen any card typos yet)!

Agreed on the above especially on the more encounter (of all kinds), mystery and Research cards for every AO.

No NEW hard cardboard XPAC is needed. The map serves mighty fine and the monsters are not that few to begin with.

Great game btw, ppl who havent tried it are missing quite a lot me thinks.

Defininetely our new co-op to go game great job

Oh, one comment I'd make is that it's a pity that the entire continent of Africa is the only one (save Antarctica) that gets no dedicated encounter cards.

Would it have killed them to include Cairo instead of Rome, for example?