Expansions

By player1310912, in General Discussion

I would like to see further use of the special sites like the Amazon, Pyramids, etc. Outside of the expeditions, these locations seem under utilized and offer lot's of theming potential.

Yig will spawn in the amazon, Ithaqua in the Hymalayas, Nyarlothotep in the pyramids. You'll see. ^^

I'd have Ithaqua in the Northwest Territories, but you're on the money with the others.

First expansion announced!

Looks like there WILL be a one-god-at-a-time theme, which should make it easy to tailor the game according to your favourite Ancient Ones. Great stuff!

The nice part is they are adding a boat load of cards for everything too.

No Hastur or Nyralthotep yet though. Boo.

Yeah, that's a surprise - you'd think they'd be out the gates before Yig.

I guess FF are playing the long game. But it's also nice to have the opportunity to explore some of the lesser used Ancient Ones (if you've got the money to get each expansion as they come out).

I am so excited to have a Summer of Yig, but even though I was all for the small box expansion route, I am nevertheless surprised that the first expansion is a small box. Let me explain.

In the weeks since I first got the game at xmas, I have been pondering the idea of expansions, and I suppose I finally came to the idea that we might get something akin to a "big box" style, with four more AOs and maybe four more Investigators too, and lots of cards and tokens and maybe a new mechanic or two that sufficiently alters the gameplay to warrant spending £25-£30 on it. While this doesn't preclude a small box expansion coming, I had sort of settled on expecting to see the first new arrival for the game coming as I had decided upon, and filling in the four remaining AOs from the AH base game. So when Yig shows himself to be the first expansion, all by himself, my theory was kinda shot down as he is, after all, one of the four.

That being said, I would not be surprised if FFG have been busy working on a set of expansions for the game, and Yig is merely a vanguard to a set of four that will perhaps be released every quarter, so that by this time next year we might have the remaining AH four, albeit in separate boxes. Assuming this to be true, it would remain to be seen whether any cross-pollination will be in effect for each, though I freely admit that I might just be thinking of that because I've spent too long submerged in cycles of LCGs.

But anyway, I am looking forward to my Summer of Yig!

Personally I really want to see Shudde M'ell in EH, since I think he fits in EH a lot better than AH and I really like the whole "save the world before it gets shaken to pieces" schtick.

Funny you mention him, Wolfgar, as it was in the back of my mind when writing my reply earlier as to which AO I'd most like to see, and Shudde M'ell is top of that list (once we have the other four AH guys).

Time for some World Cracking fun! Get me some Cthonians!

Glaaki and Eihort are my favs. World crumbling under the spreading enver before seen sickness with maggots eating people alive from the inside or being overrun by growing hordes of undead. However, Glaaki fits more to be an epic monster rather than an actual AO.

Given the scope of the game (the world), I have difficulty thinking that any expansion for this game would be of the big box variety. Unlike the big box expansions of yesteryear for the Arkham franchise ( Dunwich , Kingsport , and Innsmouth ), EH seems to be tailor made for stuffed to the gills small box expansions.

Joe,

I can't, but second your thoughts. Big box in Arkham were due to new boards or, in just one case, due to the need for more cards for everything (MH). EH seems to be indeed tailor made for expansions related to a specific AO (or to two).

Let's see what happens after FL. Kinda curious.

Julia,

I've been tracking the comments here, but continue to be amazed that there's 25 times the number of threads/posts over at BGG on this game. I've skipped the Rules or Variants-related threads as I don't own the game, but remain fascinated by those who rail against AH , those who defend EH 's distant cousin, etc. I've made it through only 20 pages, thus far...

Ciao,

Joe

Partly I don't want to bash any game on its home turf, although I've occasionally thought of posting the things I think EH does better than AH here.

Wolfgar,

You've been out here for quite some time on this game forum and have certainly assisted others with game-play questions, thus earning both credibility and legitimacy ~ from you, it would seem reasonable to hear about those things that EH does better than AH . While they may have been stated elsewhere (and having read nearly 500 posts on the subject, I have no doubt they have been addressed), it's always refreshing to get another perspective.

Cheers,

Joe

One expansion wish item: a new or tweaked mechanic for increasing the difficulty when there are a large number of players. I've gotten feedback from a couple dozen people, and the majority seem to share the belief that the game gets easier the more investigators there are.

A lot of factors just don't scale properly to keep up with more investigators. You get 1 gate spawn in 1-2 player games, but only 2 in 8 player games. Meanwhile the clue spawn rate keeps pace exactly with increased costs. Epic monsters only receive +1 health for each additional investigators (sparing the manpower to kill a 4 health EM in a 2 player game is much harder than a 10 halth EM in an 8 player game). A monster surge with no matching gates will always spawn one gate no matter the player count. Shub will always spawn one monster during a reckoning and have the 10 monster limit.

Some sort of reworked numbers to fix this. I think spawning 3 gates would work for 8 player games, and stuff like monster surge gate spawns or Shub monster spawns/limits would have to be looked at.

I can see more cards and more fiddly bits, but not new boards. That formula worked well for Arkham Horror , but given the vocal discontent over the space required, I have great difficulty thinking they'll make that mistake. We'll see...