My issue with Aptitudes

By cps, in Dark Heresy Second Edition Beta

Jesus.

The fact that the tables for XP advances are separated by ~50 pages is one thing, but reprinting them in two other chapters is not at all a solution. The issue is that even if I have that table on hand I still need to cross reference what's on my character sheet to the advance's row and column in the table every time I spend XP. Reprinting the tables in other places does nothing to solve the problem of doing the same work over and over.

Hi guys,

Aptitude calc is now up - link is in my sig or in the thread dedicated to it on these forums

Regards

surak

This is great, thank you. Hopefully FFG will steal your work and slap some skulls on it and call it a day.

Couple of suggestions: auto-fill the General aptitude, just for convenience. It also makes more sense to have all of the talents lumped into one table and add tier as a column - that way you can sort all of the talents by any of the columns you want and see all of them.

This is great, thank you. Hopefully FFG will steal your work and slap some skulls on it and call it a day.

Hi guys,

Aptitude calc is now up - link is in my sig or in the thread dedicated to it on these forums

Regards

surak

Couple of suggestions: auto-fill the General aptitude, just for convenience. It also makes more sense to have all of the talents lumped into one table and add tier as a column - that way you can sort all of the talents by any of the columns you want and see all of them.

cps,

glad you like it, I've got no problem with FFG using it as long as they keep is free to use :)

as for the formatting;

The last Only War did have the "General" aptitude pre-loaded, didn't realise that I'd missed it this time around - thanks for the heads up.

The reason for the current arrangements of the talents is due to me keeping it as simple as possible to run on as many devices as possible, I had some weird errors pre-release with the combined talents table so here we are - I may give it another try later and see what happens.

any further feedback is welcome, if you can aim it at the thead I've setup that would be handy as it will stop us hijacking other threads.

Regards

Surak

The pdf is dead simple to jump back and forth in. Admittedly advancement costs are spread out needlessly across three pages (could easily be on one), but memorizing the page numbers or bookmarking the sections digital or otherwise is not difficult. Just write down your aptitudes and away you go. if you need a cheat sheet memorize pages 51, 52, 53 & 90, 91, 92. Two groups of three adjacent pages; not sure that i understand what is clunky especially when you type in the page number and poof there you are. If you play a psyker then well page flipping is inevitable with power selection. Though an index of powers and their prerequisites and costs could be created and condensed without too much fuss. Too clunky in my opinion is searching through multiple books for character advancement options.

Edited by Benj02

seems like a whole lot of whining for something that could be made easier just by putting the cost of the talents (respective to aptitudes) in the talent section of the book, or even as a foot note on every page of the talents section.

I don't know if the excel/google-doc sheet posted does this, but all we need is an application where we can select which apptitudes a character has and then print out a document where all the attributes, talents and skills are grouped by costs. Give it to the player and the player can sit and do character planning without having to look in the book at all (unless to check what the skill/talents does).

Edited by Alox