Called Shots STILL not making much sense

By Darth Smeg, in Game Mechanics

Just make them a half action and they should be fine as is.

I do like the changes, but the minimum is called shot as a half action, even then it is penalized, but at least then it is still somewhat viable (though not as preferred to a single shot, even with the talent).

One small but significant rules technicality: Called Shot and Aim both have the Concentration subtype, so RAW they could not be performed in the same turn even if Called Shot was a Half Action. If you wanted to Aim and perform a Called Shot in the same turn, you'd have to remove the Concentration subtype from Called Shot.

Good point, maybe a -30 modifier on a standard attack would work best (-30 to counter the +10 from standard attack and maybe allow the option of shooting out weapons/hands? Hands especially if you want to remake a scene from Starship Troopers). What other ideas do you have on balancing it out. Keeping in mind it should not complicate gameplay, nor spend extra time looking on tables of body parts to see what the exact modifier is)

I support that. Just a flat -30. And the talent could make it -10 so an accurate aimed called shot would end up being +20

Edited by Felenis

Also makes sniping every round a poor proposition for un-specialized characters, while full actions (and red dot or eliminating any range penalties through the telescopic scope) balances out. I just hope this doesn't nerf it too much, because PCs also need a higher damage option compared to the flurry of blows from automatic weapons.

Maybe the half aim = max of +1 bonus die and full aim = max of +2 bonus dice also would help...

Also makes sniping every round a poor proposition for un-specialized characters, while full actions (and red dot or eliminating any range penalties through the telescopic scope) balances out. I just hope this doesn't nerf it too much, because PCs also need a higher damage option compared to the flurry of blows from automatic weapons.

Maybe the half aim = max of +1 bonus die and full aim = max of +2 bonus dice also would help...

I think that might be one of the better solutions. That or bracing

I like and dislike the idea of bracing, on one hand it makes bi pods and tri pods more useful and does a slight limitation. But by RAW an abandoned braced weapon will stay braced IIRC, on the other hand it disincentives moving around (which a real sniper would do) and you can fire a rifle perfectly fine without "bracing" it like the book says.

The half aim one is a bit complicated, but allows quick shots to be powerful while limited, while longer aimed shots can hit harder.

The called shot is tough at first, but gets easier with training (aka Talents) for being a better shot and being able to precisely hit, the problem is that it needs called shots to be fixed first.

BULGING BICEPS

SNIPE PEOPLE ON THE RUN

360 NO SCOPE

So, unless I'm missing something, the only change to Called Shots in your suggestion is that you can now called shot with a burst/swift or full auto/lightning attack?

List of Changes:

1. As I wrote my proposal a Standard Attack with Called Shot would net to a -10 penalty rather than a -20 penalty. (-20 penalty for Semi-Auto Burst/Swift Attack and -30 penalty for Full-Auto Burst/Lightening attack).

2. Gives the GM extra cover to impose further penalties on special called shot (eyes, heart, ect) in last sentence of Called Shot entry: “Furthermore the GM may also use their discretion to assign bonuses or further penalties on such actions.” This is meant to limit the Precision Killer Talent (pg. 99), since it would not negate the further penalties.

3. Makes Called Shots a prerequisite to get bonus damage from Accurate weapons rather than aim.

4. Allows non-basic Accurate weapons to benefit from bonus damage.

One small but significant rules technicality: Called Shot and Aim both have the Concentration subtype, so RAW they could not be performed in the same turn even if Called Shot was a Half Action. If you wanted to Aim and perform a Called Shot in the same turn, you'd have to remove the Concentration subtype from Called Shot.

Your right Covered in Weasels! I didn't notice that.

One concern I had when I made my proposal is I wanted to make a thematic change to the way Accurate worked while also making 10m sniping a little more risky. I sought to do this by replacing the Aim prerequisite with a Called Shot prerequisite. However if players can still make a Called shot and Aim in the same turn then nothing has really changed once that player purchases Precision Killer.

Therefore I would like to amend my proposal to include that any attack action taking the Called Shot modifier would gain the Concentration subtype. Furthermore I would be ok with removing the part about making such attack actions Full Actions, although it might be better to require a talent to do so.

BULGING BICEPS

SNIPE PEOPLE ON THE RUN

360 NO SCOPE

Well, technically Bulging Biceps only applies to Heavy weapons.

I like and dislike the idea of bracing, on one hand it makes bi pods and tri pods more useful and does a slight limitation. But by RAW an abandoned braced weapon will stay braced IIRC, on the other hand it disincentives moving around (which a real sniper would do) and you can fire a rifle perfectly fine without "bracing" it like the book says.

The half aim one is a bit complicated, but allows quick shots to be powerful while limited, while longer aimed shots can hit harder.

The called shot is tough at first, but gets easier with training (aka Talents) for being a better shot and being able to precisely hit, the problem is that it needs called shots to be fixed first.

Real snipers don't stand 10 meters away blasting off scoped shots at you.

I'm suggesting snipers remain exactly the same, but accurate requires bracing for the bonus damage.

So in short range combat you still have a pretty decent gun. Bonus to aim, lots of pen and damage, not bad. But of you set it up, it then gets the bonus damage, making it a compromise of being slightly less mobile, and worse at dodging (but you do get a - to hit you modifier) but capable of far more destruction.

Edited by Felenis

Real snipers do move around. It's not hard to do that with bracing. Just takes you an extra half action.

Real snipers don't stand 10 meters away blasting off scoped shots at you.

I'm suggesting snipers remain exactly the same, but accurate requires bracing for the bonus damage.

So in short range combat you still have a pretty decent gun. Bonus to aim, lots of pen and damage, not bad. But of you set it up, it then gets the bonus damage, making it a compromise of being slightly less mobile, and worse at dodging (but you do get a - to hit you modifier) but capable of far more destruction.

BULGING BICEPS

SNIPE PEOPLE ON THE RUN

360 NO SCOPE

What was the reason for this rule? Is it to prevent GM anguish when Sniper players get good enough that the -20 doesn't prevent them from scoring headshot after headshot after headshot?

With the Precision Killer talent, they don't even get the -20 anymore.

It requires XP expenditure and with everything being so pricey.....it costs a fair chunk of change to get some +0 skills, at least 1 of the basic defense skills (Dodge and Parry), to raise some stats, weapon training. A lot of things that the core DH gave out more willingly. I still can't stand it as a full action though.