Called Shots STILL not making much sense

By Darth Smeg, in Game Mechanics

And how many guys do you know that walk into combat without a helmet ? ;)

So, I'm not sure that called shots need bonuses like this. Called shots can already get bonus damage by targeting a location with a lower armor value. Like that guy who's not wearing a helmet. I get effectively 4 bonus damage because he's not adding his flack to that location.

There are 61 enemies in the core rulebook. 34 of them have a lower armor value on the head. However, the difference for most of them is only 1 or 2 AP. How many have a significant difference? Only 11 enemies have 3 or fewer AP on their head compared to their body, and of those several of those have the same value for their head as their arms and legs (meaning you're more likely to hit the lower AP location anyway). .

If you're using enemies from the rulebook, taking -20 to hit for what's likely to be 1 or 2 extra damage just doesn't seem worth it.

And its not only taking -20.

It is -20, not getting the standard attacks +10, and it needs a full action instead of a half. Thats ridiculous.

Give it a cool effect like Vengeful or make it a flat -20 modifier on standard attacks.

So I was running a game last night, and we decided to try Called Shot as a simple -20 modifier to a shot.

We had a sniper character with the talent that removes the penalty, and what followed was about an hour of him shooting everyone's weapons out of their hands with a typical +40 to hit. (Close, standard, accurate, half aim)

They could do absolutely nothing to stop this, and it rendered them useless in combat.

I'm going to switch it back to an action for now, but maybe try making it a half action. It certainly won't be stacking with standard attack any time soon.

Giving it any bonuses essentially turn the Precision Killer talent into a must buy, because then you just always called shot and reap all the benefits

The biggest problem though might be accurate.

I was thinking, what if Accurate needed to be braced to gain the benefits?

That way it's still a basic weapon, and you can shoot it in regular combats, but it you want the huge damage you need to settle it down, and really draw a bead

Edited by Felenis

Maybe the +10 to hit while aiming was always applicable, but the bonus damage would not be awarded unless the sniper was braced. There would still be some benefit to using the sniper without bracing, but the 360 no-scope headshots would no longer be possible. Another (very minor) benefit is that bipods would actually do something when attached to sniper rifles!

Another idea I've been toying with is to make the bonuses from Accurate weapons only apply when a character spends a Full Action to Aim. Telescopic sights work that way, so this solution follows established rules pretty well. This would also allow some counterplay against snipers: enemies could focus their fire on an aiming sniper, knowing that he won't be able to Dodge their shots unless he forfeits his aiming bonus. To make proper use of a sniper rifle, the aiming character would be encouraged to operate from a position of cover away from the thick of the fighting, preferably with a chamelioline cloak.

Maybe the +10 to hit while aiming was always applicable, but the bonus damage would not be awarded unless the sniper was braced. There would still be some benefit to using the sniper without bracing, but the 360 no-scope headshots would no longer be possible. Another (very minor) benefit is that bipods would actually do something when attached to sniper rifles!

Another idea I've been toying with is to make the bonuses from Accurate weapons only apply when a character spends a Full Action to Aim. Telescopic sights work that way, so this solution follows established rules pretty well. This would also allow some counterplay against snipers: enemies could focus their fire on an aiming sniper, knowing that he won't be able to Dodge their shots unless he forfeits his aiming bonus. To make proper use of a sniper rifle, the aiming character would be encouraged to operate from a position of cover away from the thick of the fighting, preferably with a chamelioline cloak.

Either system works, but I feel accurate needs to invest a SOMETHING to reap the 3D10 harvest.

I'm in favour of the bracing though, because I want to try called shots being tied to aim

Half aim, you can make your shot a called shot for -40, full aim make it a called shot for -20

The bonuses for aiming should negate most of it, but people are prevented from rampant called shot action

Edited by Felenis

So I was running a game last night, and we decided to try Called Shot as a simple -20 modifier to a shot.

We had a sniper character with the talent that removes the penalty, and what followed was about an hour of him shooting everyone's weapons out of their hands with a typical +40 to hit. (Close, standard, accurate, half aim)

They could do absolutely nothing to stop this, and it rendered them useless in combat.

Check the rules again. Called Shot, is specifically for shooting a given bodylocation, and is given as a -20 modifier. However, the rules also specify harsher penalties for smaller targets, such as a gun or knife.

These aren't covered by the Sharpshooter talent (or was it Marksman?), but I'd let the talent negate 20 of whatever penalty would be incurred.

Yeah, I've since realized. But even with a further -20 for minuscule, it's still too easy to hit if Called shot is just part of normal shooting.

If you have expended the sufficient XP to be that proficient, I must disagree.

Shooting guns out of the badguys hands is a staple in ol' westerns, and by no means impossible.

And again, he can shoot the doorknob or Minuscule little rat running across the room as a regular shot, so why not the gun in someone's hand?

I think a very good idea was to give called shot a critical effect of 1 in additiom to their damage.

If the damage scored would be below 1, 1 damage could be scored instead.

If the hit was righteous fury, it would be one crit effect with 1d5+1 or 1 damage and a crit 1 effect if the damage would'be 0.

This is narrative and fun.

If you have expended the sufficient XP to be that proficient, I must disagree.

Shooting guns out of the badguys hands is a staple in ol' westerns, and by no means impossible.

And again, he can shoot the doorknob or Minuscule little rat running across the room as a regular shot, so why not the gun in someone's hand?

That's not really my problem.

I was testing called shot as just a modifier instead of how it is currently, and I was not impressed. Clearly it needs something else to differentiate it

1. Called Shot as a -20 Full Action Attack is ridiculous, in the fact that you get hit hard, that a single attack with half aim on a head sized target is a +0. Now our goal should be to reduce this problem without making each body part a different modifier. The best fixes are quick without writing more than you have to..

2. Called Shot as a Half action (-20), this lets you use a half aim to bring this down to -10 and with the right talent, it is a +10 total, making it not as good as a standard attack, but for the benefit of being able to place your attack exactly where you want.

3. Called Shot as a modifier, this treats it just like a size issue, but simplifies it (the body is easier to hit then the head, but we are trying to minimize the rules but still give impact). As stated above, the standard combined modifier is a +0 and +20 with the right talent. The problem here is that it always makes sense to do called shots if you have the right talent, head crits are nastier and one PC of mine likes aiming for the leg (to hit the knee), to stop/slow fleeing suspects (no one said she was nice, especially with dumdums or expanders loaded in her handcannon).

So 2 or 3 works, because they both allow the aim action to counteract the debuff, as well as letting accurate weapons do one thing they are good at, putting a round right where you want. I lean more towards the second than the third in order to keep some balance towards not taking a called shot.

As a side note, one way to keep sniper rifles from being a single turn aim and kill weapon is to make a called shot mandatory to get the added damage dice. Again, for dedicated marksmen (with the right talents), this isn't a problem, for everyone else it makes a -20 (as a half action) or -10 (standard action + -20) to discourage that tactic while letting it still be overcome (take a full action to aim to get a better chance, add a sight in case range is an issue, etc.)

What about making Called Shot simply more attractive by giving it some status effect?

In my group we will try out issuing Crippling (DoS) after a successful Called Shot, 'cause it is tactical interesting and flexible. It has the opportunity for rendering somebody unarmed, drop prone (arrow to the knee :-) ) or ready for the killing blow.

Edited by Stocki

This is a setting involving rooting out corruption in Imperial society. Decadent noble courts. Debased underhive criminals. Mad, corrupt fallen priests.

No one is going to be wearing a goddamn helmet!

Edited by bogi_khaosa

You have no idea. Everybody wears helmets, as walking around without one is dangerous ;)

They are, however, very creative in finding reasons why they do wear a helmet in the oddest situations.

I would deduct so much xp that their characteristics would be dropping.

Thats not a good way to motivate.

Wearing your helmet to the governor's ball is imbeclic.

That's what I love. Helmets are so important, yet it is impossible to find a good reason to wear one. Sadly they removed the head protection from the 2 cloaks (mesh and flak) as well as removing the mesh cowl (the only sensible head protecting for undercover). One PC of mine bought a mesh cloak in the form of a duster/trench coat and the cowl in the shape of a flat brimmed hat. It was nice to walk around with some armor

I'd wear my helmet to the Governors ball. I'm a guardsmen running security. I'm not even very good at socializing, so I'm actually probably waiting in the gantries for some heretics to show up and try to play dirty.

That's what I love. Helmets are so important, yet it is impossible to find a good reason to wear one. Sadly they removed the head protection from the 2 cloaks (mesh and flak) as well as removing the mesh cowl (the only sensible head protecting for undercover). One PC of mine bought a mesh cloak in the form of a duster/trench coat and the cowl in the shape of a flat brimmed hat. It was nice to walk around with some armor

Creative acolytes will find a reason.

They.will.find.a.reason.

You dare impose upon my planet's culture?! This is my family's helmet, which my great-great-great-great grandfather wore in the defense of Hive Grob during the Ork invasion! Of course it's part of my dress uniform, to omit it would be disrespectful to my ancestors!

What, the power fist? Also part of my uniform! My great-great-great-great grandfather wore that too! Are you insulting my honor by saying I should omit that as well, sir?

Edited by Boss Gitsmasha

Yep, but you can always call them out on it

1. Called Shot as a -20 Full Action Attack is ridiculous, in the fact that you get hit hard, that a single attack with half aim on a head sized target is a +0. Now our goal should be to reduce this problem without making each body part a different modifier. The best fixes are quick without writing more than you have to..

2. Called Shot as a Half action (-20), this lets you use a half aim to bring this down to -10 and with the right talent, it is a +10 total, making it not as good as a standard attack, but for the benefit of being able to place your attack exactly where you want.

3. Called Shot as a modifier, this treats it just like a size issue, but simplifies it (the body is easier to hit then the head, but we are trying to minimize the rules but still give impact). As stated above, the standard combined modifier is a +0 and +20 with the right talent. The problem here is that it always makes sense to do called shots if you have the right talent, head crits are nastier and one PC of mine likes aiming for the leg (to hit the knee), to stop/slow fleeing suspects (no one said she was nice, especially with dumdums or expanders loaded in her handcannon).

So 2 or 3 works, because they both allow the aim action to counteract the debuff, as well as letting accurate weapons do one thing they are good at, putting a round right where you want. I lean more towards the second than the third in order to keep some balance towards not taking a called shot.

As a side note, one way to keep sniper rifles from being a single turn aim and kill weapon is to make a called shot mandatory to get the added damage dice. Again, for dedicated marksmen (with the right talents), this isn't a problem, for everyone else it makes a -20 (as a half action) or -10 (standard action + -20) to discourage that tactic while letting it still be overcome (take a full action to aim to get a better chance, add a sight in case range is an issue, etc.)

I really like some of the points Cymbel made, especially in the last paragraph regarding Called Shots and the Accurate quality. Here is how I would rework each of these game mechanics:

Called Shots:

Delete old entry on page 176 and reference in Table 7-1. Add new entry on page 185 under Combat Circumstances.

Sometimes an attacking character may wish to target a specific vulnerable area on an enemy. Doing so makes the attack action a Full Action (if not already one) and imposes a -20 penalty on the test. If he succeeds, he skips the Determine Hit Location step of the attack and instead inflicts the first hit on the declared location.

At the GM’s discretion, Called Shots can be used to target more specific locations on monsters or within the environment, such as shooting a door lock from across the room or disabling a wall-mounted vid-recorder. Furthermore the GM may also use their discretion to assign bonuses or further penalties on such actions.

Accurate:

Delete old entry on page 112 and replace.

The weapon is crafted for precision attacks, with perfectly crafted las-lenses or finely honed barrels. This grants an additional bonus of +10 to the firer’s Ballistic Skill when used with an Aim action, in addition to the normal bonus granted from Aiming. When firing a single shot from ranged weapon with the Accurate quality and making a Called Shot , the attack inflicts an extra 1d10 of damage for every two degrees of success, to a maximum of an extra 2d10. These extra d10s cannot generate Righteous Fury.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I apologize to Darth Smeg that my changes don’t directly address the disparity in attack difficulties between shooting a servo skull and a called shot to the head . My hope is that these changes will better balance the game and add more value to the Called Shot action without making major/complicated changes to the game mechanics.

So, unless I'm missing something, the only change to Called Shots in your suggestion is that you can now called shot with a burst/swift or full auto/lightning attack?