Reflections on the game

By cparadis10, in Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game

Well said Mig. I too thought that the eternal cycle revived the game and cata plus hidden kingdoms pushed the game to a really good direction. If a new player were to start this game all they needed were these packs and they're good. It seems that the community always had more lurkers than active forum advocates but today goes to show that this game still gets a lot of support from players.

One can only hope they retract this knee jerk reaction of canceling it. As you said Mel I love the LCg concept but if this can happen to invasion it can happen to any of the product lines. Kind of defeats the purpose of calling it Living card game.

What a shame. Finally multiplayer, finally the neutral factions playable on their own, new mechanics like ambush and raider...

Well, I think my group will play the game a very long time after the shutdown, so it is not really dead yet.

Maybe we get some other great game instead. I, personally, do pray for WH I 4 K.

Wow, I'm stunned. I always thought Cthulhu would be the first to come to an end. This was my second LCG, but definitely the one that got me into them in a big way (it was actually the March of the Damned advert that convinced me to buy this) and I've enjoyed the ride every step. Definitely a shame, but as many folks have said here, so long as we're still playing it, it won't be consigned to oblivion!

I wonder how the polish are taking this. Maybe if they petition enough the game might still live. Any thoughts Virgo? :(

Everybody is shocked :(

Also: there are whispers about fun-made expansion...

I just ordered my core set, assault on ulthuan and cataclysm. I'll pick up the other deluxe sets on my next purchase. I'm looking forward to playing.

:huh: only game i know where ppl want to buy the stuff when it ends

I guess when they released End Times they weren't freakin kidding

I really hope that there are some player made expansions in the same way that there are still sets released for Star Wars ccg. I'm kind of pissed about this.

Just a thought but do you think the license ran out via GW?

May have been out of FFG control...

No. Warhammer disk wars is on the way and would be affected if it was a license issue.

No. Warhammer disk wars is on the way and would be affected if it was a license issue.

Warhammer Diskwars is a finished product waiting for soonish release.

I really hope that there are some player made expansions in the same way that there are still sets released for Star Wars ccg. I'm kind of pissed about this.

If that happens someway, i really hope that whoever does it is/has a good lawyer... GW has always shown zero-tolerance for those who try to use its "intellectual properties" without consent :ph34r:

I don't play Warhammer (Netrunner and Star Wars here), but I'm keenly interested in what happens to an LCG when it stops getting developed. One thing *I* would do if I were a W:I player: try a big dedicated push to get some regular stuff going on OCTGN. Do weird (normal), fun tournament formats that FFG never tried out, like Core Set + 1 expansion cycle, etc. If this game is going to live it's going to live on the internet. Start it now!

I think I have moved through the five stage of grief about the canceling of the game and I have reached acceptance. I am actually excited about moving forward with this game in different ways.

Up to this point all of my energy has been involved in making the best tournament style decks possible. I was constantly refining and testing new ideas to come up with the best deck possible. However, that is no longer an issue. Also, since I have all of the cards that means this is a "complete game" for me.

Moving forward I am going to be looking to do two things with Warhammer: Invasion. First, I am going to make all new decks. However, instead of trying to make the best tournament deck, I am going to try to make decks that are balanced against each other. Especially with Cataclysm, if I could make four decks that balanced well so that any of the decks could beat any of the other decks, I will have a ready to go package to play at game nights (or even teach new players with!)

Second, I am excited about revisiting the draft format. The core set is essentially a pre-built cube. Using the card make up of the core set of a template and the full card pool, I can make new cubes to draft from. With my wife and other experienced players this might be the most fun way to play the game now.

While my focus of how I engage the game will need to change, I am still looking forward to a lot more Warhammer: Invasion!

Well, as long as it remains in print and stocked in gamestores!

Edited by jonnel

I only got in WHI over last year or so and I do enjoy it (have core set and all deluxe expansions (cept for HK) and most of the expansion packs (atleast the first 3 cycles).

Sad news to see official support ending, but they could have at least also released some sort of expansion box with the correct number of cards missing from core set and first cycle (and any other set) to allow us to bring everything to the maximum 3!