Board size and table space

By Ralzar, in General Discussion

I am hoping to play this game with a very casual group of 3-4 people, where the game is just something to amuse ourselves with for a couple of hours after dinner. I have had some frustrating experiences with some other FFG games because they take up too much table space (there needs to be room for the dessert and after dinner drinks :) ) and they take too long. For example; Chaos in the Old World and Mansions of Madness.

The sweet spot seems to be the size and gameplay time of "Pandemic". We can some times get in two rounds of Pandemic in an evening and it does not take up every square inch of the table.

So, for those who have seen the game and/or played it; how long does it take to play and how much table space does it take up?

Edited by Ralzar

Eldritch Horror is a great game, but it's not really the sort of game that I would expect to get great value from played "casually" in the way that you suggest. It's really a more immersive game than I suspect fits the situation you're intending to use it in. As to your direct question: it's a 6-fold FFG board and there's a number of decks of cards and Investigator sheets, which would lead me to think that you'd regard it as a large game. I don't have the measurements to hand and I haven't played either of your comparison games, but to give you an idea, it fits on my 60" x 30" table, but there's not a huge amount of room for desert and drinks. As to play time, the time on the box is about right: 2-3 hours for 4 players depending on experience of the players and their style of play.

I am hoping to play this game with a very casual group of 3-4 people, where the game is just something to amuse ourselves with for a couple of hours after dinner. I have had some frustrating experiences with some other FFG games because they take up too much table space (there needs to be room for the dessert and after dinner drinks :) ) and they take too long. For example; Chaos in the Old World and Mansions of Madness.

The sweet spot seems to be the size and gameplay time of "Pandemic". We can some times get in two rounds of Pandemic in an evening and it does not take up every square inch of the table.

So, for those who have seen the game and/or played it; how long does it take to play and how much table space does it take up?

Like Crispy said, I don't think it's a game suited for "casual" play but I can already say that this is an awesome game. Not only you play but you also unfold a greatly immersive story everytime you play EH. It's a bit on the heavy side and you can expect to sit for +/- 3 hours with 4 players.

If you're looking for a fun game playable under 2 hours, fun and a bit more light, I could suggest from the FFG line:

- Cadwallon City of Thieves

- Bloodbowl Team Manager (card game)

- DungeonQuest (awesomely fun and chaotic and prefect for a fun play after dinner)

- Wiz-War (same reason as DungeonQuest)

Agreed with the other guys here. It's definitely not for casual gamers. The game is certainly demanding (time, resources, devotion), but it should also grant you to spend some hours of pure fun. Maybe the more you play, the shorter your games (my first Arkham Horror game lasted 4 hours; the last one, played tonight, 63 minutes), but still, it will never be that shorter with 4 people around the table debating the next moves.

So, if you want something light, as SolennelBern said, you should consider something different (Wiz-War is a great choice for something short, violent and fun)