X-wing plug-in for Strange Eons

By Hinnyboy, in X-Wing

Another version is soon available in strange eons.

Change log:

2015-10-27:

• Force Awakens; new factions, T-70 X-wing and TIE/fo Fighter stats, tech upgrade and tallon roll maneuvers
  • Wave 8; VCX-100, Attack Shuttle, TIE Adv. Prototype, JumpMaster 5000 and G-1A Starfighter stats (except ship icons)
  • Energy header and Energy limit added to upgrade cards
  • Cinematic symbol added to huge ships
Edited by Hinnyboy

Looks interesting and looks like hard work. Thank you for that! ;)

But can you please provide some screenshots what it´s all about (Maybe in your starting post)? Card-creator, in which way? Thank you

Updated the starting post with screenshots ( link )

Edited by Hinnyboy

Another version is soon available in strange eons (also available here ).

Change log:

2015-10-27:

• Force Awakens; new factions, T-70 X-wing and TIE/fo Fighter stats, tech upgrade and tallon roll maneuvers
  • Wave 8; VCX-100, Attack Shuttle, TIE Adv. Prototype, JumpMaster 5000 and G-1A Starfighter stats (except ship icons)
  • Energy header and Energy limit added to upgrade cards
  • Cinematic symbol added to huge ships

Next up is reference cards I think... or should I do damage cards?

Are you sure you're not the energiser bunny .. You just never seem to stop.

Thanks for your time sir. I know a lot of fellas appreciate it!

1st of all.. GREEEEAAAAT WOOOORRRK !!!

Then a question..

..when I create Imperium (not FO!) TIE-Fighters, a focus icon shows up in the upgrade bar!

Did I miss something? Is it a bug? or a new rule or add-on to the generic TIE-Fighter-Ship-Card?

Thx from Germany..

hdmxwing

This error just appears in the german translation, therefore it seems like my fault as I did / helped with the translation. I just emailed Hinnyboy about it.

This is fantastic work! I've had loads of fun creating custom cards.

Just one request, would it be possible to allow negative squad point costs for the upgrades like Chardaan Refit? It would open up some really interesting options for the casual play I tend to favour! I've been trying to create a negative cost crew card but it won't accept it.

Also, not sure if it's a bug but I don't have the ability to scroll down when creating upgrade cards (there's no bar) like I can on the ship cards, so to edit squad point cost I actually have to open the program as a window and drag it down. Might be my low resolution?

Anyway thanks for your hard work!

1st of all.. GREEEEAAAAT WOOOORRRK !!!

Then a question..

..when I create Imperium (not FO!) TIE-Fighters, a focus icon shows up in the upgrade bar!

Did I miss something? Is it a bug? or a new rule or add-on to the generic TIE-Fighter-Ship-Card?

Thx from Germany..

hdmxwing

This error just appears in the german translation, therefore it seems like my fault as I did / helped with the translation. I just emailed Hinnyboy about it.

This is fantastic work! I've had loads of fun creating custom cards.

Just one request, would it be possible to allow negative squad point costs for the upgrades like Chardaan Refit? It would open up some really interesting options for the casual play I tend to favour! I've been trying to create a negative cost crew card but it won't accept it.

Also, not sure if it's a bug but I don't have the ability to scroll down when creating upgrade cards (there's no bar) like I can on the ship cards, so to edit squad point cost I actually have to open the program as a window and drag it down. Might be my low resolution?

Anyway thanks for your hard work!

Huge thanks for all your work, HB! One of the X-Wing community heroes!

Huge thanks for all your work, HB! One of the X-Wing community heroes!

Wow, thanks a lot! It makes me very glad to hear that from you.

I have been really enjoying your work so far, thank you! I know that you were looking for new ideas, so here is a couple :)

Now that Space Rocks has (almost) come out with their Neb-B, and there are other ambitious modelers out there (Joe Boss Red Seven ect.) and there is a lot of new interest in the campaign; how about custom stations or really huge ships? Due to the variances in the base sizes ect I think that this would only work for the basic cards.

Thoughts?

Is it possible to get older versions of the plugin?

I'd gladly put up with a lack of huge ships and features if it meant being able to use card and base images that didn't look like they were smeared in vaseline.

Edited by Tipperary

I have been really enjoying your work so far, thank you! I know that you were looking for new ideas, so here is a couple :)

Now that Space Rocks has (almost) come out with their Neb-B, and there are other ambitious modelers out there (Joe Boss Red Seven ect.) and there is a lot of new interest in the campaign; how about custom stations or really huge ships? Due to the variances in the base sizes ect I think that this would only work for the basic cards.

Thoughts?

Yeah I just ordered one of those :)

Good idea but I don't know how to handle these things unfortunately. I will see if I can come up with a system where you can create custom sized ship tokens, but I think it will be a lot of effort to make it work.

Edited by Hinnyboy

I'd gladly put up with a lack of huge ships and features if it meant being able to use card and base images that didn't look like they were smeared in vaseline.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't like the new card images, as I put a lot of effort into them (I don't have access to the original images they use at FFG). Are they really that bad?

But of course you can have an older version if you really want. I will pm you a link when I get time.

Has there been any thought given to adding Heroes of the Aturi Cluster to the program? I've started creating pilot cards for our group's campaign, but being able to use the actual record sheets from the campaign would be even better!

You surely could find nicer ways to express your feedback.

Don't take this personal, as I sincerely enjoy your sharp-sour prose in these forums. But sometimes someone that creates stuff for free to share with the community could be spared of the bluntness.

Thanks for adding the requested features so quickly!

And no, there's nothing wrong with the card images. When printed they look sharp and precise.

Oh, looks like that problem where exporting pilot cards for General Purpose causing the colors on them to shift was fixed! Awesome!

sBVyLi4.jpg

Edited by DarthEnderX

Thoughts?

Good idea but I don't know how to handle these things unfortunately. I will see if I can come up with a system where you can create custom sized ship tokens, but I think it will be a lot of effort to make it work.

I figured the custom base size would be a bit much. Can the other elements be added?

Additionally, your earlier thought of a custom damage deck for custom ships is looking really good right now.

Thank you again for your work.

I am sorry to hear that you didn't like the new card images, as I put a lot of effort into them (I don't have access to the original images they use at FFG). Are they really that bad?

But of course you can have an older version if you really want. I will pm you a link when I get time.

Sorry, I keep forgetting that inflection never carries on the internet, I'm not as pissed as I sound.

wIfusDY.png

Left is the older SE card, middle is an official card from an article, right is the new card.

Newer card is noticeably blurrier (outline around card name, side boxes, card cost outline), and slightly higher contrast, which is exacerbating some text scaling issues (and there's a font issue with the point box but that's always been there).

Out of the two, I'd say the older card is closer to the official one, if a little desaturated (but the contrast change in the newer card makes the desaturation more obvious in places, mostly the name and effect fields).

I'm just interested in accuracy here, not trying to be nasty.

Edited by Tipperary

Gotta be honest Tipperary, the one on the right looks crisper and less blurry to me.

Though they are so close I doubt I would notice anything if they weren't right there side by side and so done was asking me to compare them.

Edited by Forgottenlore

StrangeEons text in general is sharper because of the scaling, the problem's mostly in the field borders.

Thoughts?

I figured the custom base size would be a bit much. Can the other elements be added?

Additionally, your earlier thought of a custom damage deck for custom ships is looking really good right now.

Thank you again for your work.

So, you want a way to create space station ship cards and really huge ship cards? If so, I can maybe add two new fields where you specify the "sub-title" yourself with "fore" and "aft" as defaults. This way you would be able to create multiple huge ships entries, give each section a relevant sub-title and then combine the card images into a multi-section ship using the deck feature in Strange Eons. Here is an example of what it could look like:

------------------------- ------------------------- -------------------------

| | | | | |

| | | | | |

| | | | | |

| | | | | |

| | | | | |

| Nebulon-B (FORE) | | Nebulon-B (MID) | | Nebulon-B (AFT) |

| | | | | |

| 5 | | 4 | | 9 |

| 0 | | 0 | | 0 |

| 10 | | 7 | | 9 |

| 6 | | 5 | | 5 |

| | | | | |

| | | | | |

| | | | | |

------------------------- ------------------------- -------------------------

The first two sections would in this case use the same card template (the "fore" section art). I don't think this is a problem.

What do you think of this proposal?

Sorry, I keep forgetting that inflection never carries on the internet, I'm not as pissed as I sound.

wIfusDY.png

Left is the older SE card, middle is an official card from an article, right is the new card.

Newer card is noticeably blurrier (outline around card name, side boxes, card cost outline), and slightly higher contrast, which is exacerbating some text scaling issues (and there's a font issue with the point box but that's always been there).

Out of the two, I'd say the older card is closer to the official one, if a little desaturated (but the contrast change in the newer card makes the desaturation more obvious in places, mostly the name and effect fields).

Thanks for the feedback! Your opinion is valuable.

The reason for the template change is that the first (left) template was kindly lent to me from FTS Gecko (with his permission). As the requirements changed with me adding more features I needed to update the templates (with energy secondary weapons for instance).

If you want to compare the cards I think it's better to keep the resolution at 300 dpi as a lot of detail is lost when you scale them down to FFG preview size.

I find the new templates a little better as they are smoother and not as blocky. Basically I think it is just a matter of opinion.

And yes, you are quite right about the point cost font. I have had this in my backlog for quite a while but haven't bothered to change it yet (time is short for me). I might prioritize this higher now that you brought it up.

Finally got it to work on my computer (darn Virus software) any chance we could get the alt art cards? format example below

http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/uploads/0ffb5a3617199be7bf865172b6488092.png

Yes, I have been wanting to do this for a while -- alt art is already in the backlog. Problem is that I don't have any cards of my own and I don't have any digital templates either so I can't really get started with this. If someone would provide me with this, on the other hand, I think I can get them ready quite quickly...

Edited by Hinnyboy

wIfusDY.png

Thanks for the feedback! Your opinion is valuable.

The reason for the template change is that the first (left) template was kindly lent to me from FTS Gecko (with his permission). As the requirements changed with me adding more features I needed to update the templates (with energy secondary weapons for instance).

If you want to compare the cards I think it's better to keep the resolution at 300 dpi as a lot of detail is lost when you scale them down to FFG preview size.

I find the new templates a little better as they are smoother and not as blocky. Basically I think it is just a matter of opinion.

And yes, you are quite right about the point cost font. I have had this in my backlog for quite a while but haven't bothered to change it yet (time is short for me). I might prioritize this higher now that you brought it up.

Ah, yeah, if it's template-related then I totally sympathise.

I've been scaling to 300px vertically for my VASSAL extension, and yeah, they're better at larger resolutions (I'm still trying to find a variant of the font that scales to look nice at 300px, for example). Looking at the images side-by-side now, the actual biggest difference is how bright the centers of the text fields are compared to the preview cards, but I imagine that's hard to change if the templates are already washed out.

Speaking of font issues, is the bold font for upgrade text not being bolded properly? Even with the full-scale cards it seems thin, and I've been substituting a variant font.

i got a question that arouse shortly and that is how do you guys make the ships silhouette in the bottom left corner for any ship not yet in this game?

as example there is the tie aggressor of DarthEnderX yrZ4lGw.png