X-wing plug-in for Strange Eons

By Hinnyboy, in X-Wing

Hi there,

Download X-wing plug-in for Strange Eons ( http://cgjennings.ca/eons/download/update.html ) to help all home-brewers create their awesome new cards (choose Toolbox -> Catalogue, then download and install the X-wing plug-in from the list)

private_enforcer.jpg

imperial_light_cruiser.jpg

Latest version is usually found in the strange eons product catalog. Sometimes it takes a couple of days for chris to add it to the catalog, in which case you can download it directly from the github repo ( https://github.com/Hinny/strange-eons-xwing-plug-in/blob/master/X-wing.seext )

Credits to Chris Jennings for his awesome program and to Chris and karagh (on the SE forum) for their help. Also credits to GeckoTH for letting me use some of his templates.

Please give me your feedback!

Edited by Hinnyboy

Updated with Scum and Villainy stuff (with proxy dials and card backs). Huge ships still not available though (but they are coming sometime during 2015).

Great job on these, they make it very easy for novices like myself to make up cool looking cards. I do have a request however. I have plans to do larger ship types (from another Sci-Fi genre) using the standard X-Wing card format. What I really want is all of the basic stats (especially Primary Weapon) to have a larger range of numbers. So a Primary Weapon rating of up to 20 would cover everything) and an Agility rating up to 10. This may sound crazy but it all depends on what dice mechanics are being used. These are extremes I know but at least this would give options for people that want to use a different set of variables than the standard X-Wing natural limits and still retain the cool aesthetics of the X Wing cards.

If we have the older version does it still work as an update? Or do we need to reinstall?

Also, is it backwards compatible?

Regardless, thanks for such awesome work!

Edited by R22

Sorry for the delayed answers...

If we have the older version does it still work as an update? Or do we need to reinstall?

Also, is it backwards compatible?

Regardless, thanks for such awesome work!

1) It should work as an update.

2) Almost ;) . I had created my own "Fringe" faction before the "Scum and Villainy" faction announcement. The Fringe and Scum and Villainy are essentially the same faction so I just overwrote Fringe with Scum. So if you have created any Fringe pilots you should open them and ignore the Error message and simply change the faction to "Scum and Villainy". Other than that you should be fine (but please let me know if you have any problems, then we will sort them out).

3) Thanks!

Great job on these, they make it very easy for novices like myself to make up cool looking cards. I do have a request however. I have plans to do larger ship types (from another Sci-Fi genre) using the standard X-Wing card format. What I really want is all of the basic stats (especially Primary Weapon) to have a larger range of numbers. So a Primary Weapon rating of up to 20 would cover everything) and an Agility rating up to 10. This may sound crazy but it all depends on what dice mechanics are being used. These are extremes I know but at least this would give options for people that want to use a different set of variables than the standard X-Wing natural limits and still retain the cool aesthetics of the X Wing cards.

Thanks for the praise!

I try to have the plug-in as close to the official cards as possible without impeding creativity too much. This includes hard limits to attack and evade dice of 5. Anything else is beyond the boundaries of this game, in my opinion.

(I don't want to see TIE Awesome with attack and evade 10 created with my plug-in only because the creator like to humiliate their opponent ;) . You can still create pretty broken stuff if you really try.)

I hope you can understand my stance in this.

With that said I understand your request, but the only solution I can offer is that you create your own plug-in with my work as a baseline.

Is there any plans for a Huge ship expansion? With all of the other alternate ships out there, I am sure that we will want to see some cross overs. Firefly's anyone? How about proxy Vigil cruisers? For that matter, how about alternate damage cards?

I just downloaded it and I am really enjoying it so far. Very well done, and thank you!

Is there any plans for a Huge ship expansion? With all of the other alternate ships out there, I am sure that we will want to see some cross overs. Firefly's anyone? How about proxy Vigil cruisers? For that matter, how about alternate damage cards?

I just downloaded it and I am really enjoying it so far. Very well done, and thank you!

I'm digging the tool and your nifty plugin, it basically covers all my X-Wing RPG needs!

And yes we need a Huge Ships update for the reasons Harleigh lists

+1

I'm digging the tool and your nifty plugin, it basically covers all my X-Wing RPG needs!

And yes we need a Huge Ships update for the reasons Harleigh lists

Thank you, It warms me to hear.

Yes, there are most certainly plans for Huge Ships including upgrade cards with energy etc. A lot of code and graphics is already done but life has come in between so don't expect to see it anytime soon . This summer I will have time to work on this for sure but I can't promise anything earlier unfortunately.

Also Damage Decks are on the to do list, but I have not even started on these yet.

Edited by Hinnyboy

This summer I will have time to work on this for sure but I can't promise anything earlier unfortunately.

Also Damage Decks are on the to do list, but I have not even started on these yet.

;)

This is what I used to do the example cards in the X-wing Under Fire thread, it's an excellent card creator.

What I would like to see is an option to have new cards generate with empty fields rather than having to delete everything from Mercenary/Warhead Flares first whenever you create a card.

Beyond that all I can think of is completing the action bar (it hasn't got Recover, Reinforce, Jam or Coordinate) and a custom action icon option.

Edited by TIE Pilot

This is what I used to do the example cards in the X-wing Under Fire thread, it's an excellent card creator.

What I would like to see is an option to have new cards generate with empty fields rather than having to delete everything from Mercenary/Warhead Flares first whenever you create a card.

There is a "clear all" or something like that in one of the drop down menus. Perhaps Edit->clear all. I don't have the card creator in front of me a the moment so the exact text may be different. I hope that helps.

Edited by Hinnyboy

I have really enjoyed using your plug-in, it's got a very nice interface and does a great job.

Could you make it so that the lower-left ship outlines for custom ships have the option to use the outlines from standard ships? Alternatively, could you make it so that the "standard" stats/actions/upgrades of a ship can be modified?

Because, in one of my projects, I wanted to make a ship card of an existing model that had a different statline (a TIE Interceptor with built-in shield upgrade, so 3/3/3/1), but if you try to change the values while you have "TIE Interceptor" as the ship type selected, the values on the card do not update, and the action bar cannot be modified.

I can get around this with the "Custom Ship" option, where everything is variable.

But, if I do that, I lose the nice ship outline in the corner of the card. Every attempt I have made to find and use the correct ship outlines have resulted in low-quality, pixelated messes. What I eventually had to do was make two copies of the card, one custom, one standard, and then photoshop the high-quality ship outline onto the custom card. This was a little more tedious than I would have liked. It seems to me that there ought to be a straightforward way to do it from the programming side.

Hinnyboy, could you explain for dummies like myself how to get the best results printing the Pilot Base Markers (that go on the ships base to indicate pilot name, skill and of course firing arc)?

They are really the only ones were accurate size matters for them to fit on the bases and have the correct arcs - I seem to have trouble getting it right :rolleyes:

This looks pretty useful, although I haven't used it yet myself. I just added it to the index thread under House Rules.

Beyond that all I can think of is completing the action bar (it hasn't got Recover, Reinforce, Jam or Coordinate) and a custom action icon option.

Recover and Reinforce are only defined for Huge Ships so they will show up there but not in the pilot card. I guess that Jam and Coordinate can be used on small/large ships but they are really powerful actions. I will think about it as I don't want to encourage their usage on small/large ships.

The custom action icon option is an excellent idea! I will add that to the To Do list.

Edited by Hinnyboy

I have really enjoyed using your plug-in, it's got a very nice interface and does a great job.

Could you make it so that the lower-left ship outlines for custom ships have the option to use the outlines from standard ships? Alternatively, could you make it so that the "standard" stats/actions/upgrades of a ship can be modified?

Because, in one of my projects, I wanted to make a ship card of an existing model that had a different statline (a TIE Interceptor with built-in shield upgrade, so 3/3/3/1), but if you try to change the values while you have "TIE Interceptor" as the ship type selected, the values on the card do not update, and the action bar cannot be modified.

I can get around this with the "Custom Ship" option, where everything is variable.

But, if I do that, I lose the nice ship outline in the corner of the card. Every attempt I have made to find and use the correct ship outlines have resulted in low-quality, pixelated messes. What I eventually had to do was make two copies of the card, one custom, one standard, and then photoshop the high-quality ship outline onto the custom card. This was a little more tedious than I would have liked. It seems to me that there ought to be a straightforward way to do it from the programming side.

I understand your problem and I think it is a good idea to include the official ship icons as an option when creating custom ships. I will add that to the To Do list.

In the mean time, please accept the complete set of ship icons as png:s.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0dD5k8AOOx2RHRuNUdYY19vdUE&usp=sharing

Hinnyboy, could you explain for dummies like myself how to get the best results printing the Pilot Base Markers (that go on the ships base to indicate pilot name, skill and of course firing arc)?

They are really the only ones were accurate size matters for them to fit on the bases and have the correct arcs - I seem to have trouble getting it right :rolleyes:

I always create a "Deck of Cards" and import all the stuff I want to print in one ore more pages (I use size A4). Make sure you use the "no scaling" option and print on one side of the page only in your printer settings. I use mate photo paper and double-coated adhesive tape to stick it to cardboard to create the tokens.

More information can be found here:

http://basement.cgjennings.ca/Printing+Components&structure=User+Manual

and here:

http://basement.cgjennings.ca/The+Deck+Editor

This looks pretty useful, although I haven't used it yet myself. I just added it to the index thread under House Rules.

Thanks a lot!

The X-wing plug-in is now updated with german translation and wave 7 ships (except new 180° front auxiliary arc).

Update the plug-in from the program menus to get access to the updates.

Still working on huge ships and a lot of other things as well.

Thank you! Great work!

This is great tool to create good-looking proxy cards and addons for our casual play

Edited by Hanu

I've been using this for a fairly large project as it kicks the snot out of every other card creator, but as of the latest version I've come across a fairly tedious bug.

Any pilot cards that were created and saved in older version have a black upgrade slot(no icon, just a black circle) on the very right side of the upgrade bar. I can't remove it by any combination of upgrades. Also, when loading an old pilot card, it treats it as if the card was just modified right then, asking me to save it when closed, etc

New pilot cards don't have this issue, but I really don't want to have to re-do 56 cards with specific art/icon offsets and scaling.

edit: here's an example

bugged: http://i.imgur.com/SFo9Gr4.jpg

unbugged: http://i.imgur.com/CUFIHnm.jpg

Edited by Tipperary

One more bug report: it's not switching the attack icon on pilot cards from the default when Front&Rear arc is selected. Occurs with both large and small bases.

Also, a minor feature request: is it possible to add a flip command for ship icons? Icons on base inserts are supposed to point left, while those on pilot cards point right. I've been saving flipped versions of the icons, which isn't a huge deal, but an in-editor solution would be simpler and save on space .seproject-wise (assuming it can use the same resource for both icons, which I actually don't know).

Edited by Tipperary

Are there certain requirements an image file has to meet before you can choose it for a portrait image? Like max size or certain formats only?

I've tried using a couple different images, and when I try and load them, they just turn into giant red Xs.

I've been using PNG and JPG with no issues. Can you upload one of the images you're trying to use?

I tried using this image . Saved it to my hard drive, then tried to select the image for the portrait. Showed up fine in the preview when looking for an image to use. But once I clicked it, I got a ding and a big red X.