X-wing plug-in for Strange Eons

By Hinnyboy, in X-Wing

Made a couple pilot cards last night.

When I try and Export them as general purpose images, the colors come out all ****** up like this:

Z67KzPF.jpg

When I export it as a high definition image suitable for printing, the colors are fine.

1O65FxK.png

Any idea what the problem is?

Edit: also make sure you have downloaded the latest version of strange eons. It is supposed to fix a lot of bugs. Maybe this is one of them

I guess there is no harm letting you know the prio-order of coming features:

1: Remake how ship tokens are rendered + add 180* arc. (still a lot of photo-shopping before I'm done)

2: Single card huge ships (without fire arcs).

3: Double card huge ships (including fire arcs for single card huge ships).

4. Huge ship upgrade card update.

5. Add option to custom pilot cards to use existing ship icons.

6. Reference cards.

7. Damage cards.

Will those come with Jam, Coordinate and Reinforce actions?

Edited by Hinnyboy

also make sure you have downloaded the latest version of strange eons. It is supposed to fix a lot of bugs. Maybe this is one of them

Did this. Sadly, did not fix the problem.

Made a couple pilot cards last night.

When I try and Export them as general purpose images, the colors come out all ****** up like this:

When I export it as a high definition image suitable for printing, the colors are fine.

Any idea what the problem is?

I have vague memory I have seen this reported before (for another plug in, I think). I doubt it has anything to do with my plug-in. You can visit the strange eons forum if you think it is worth the hassle.

Edit: also make sure you have downloaded the latest version of strange eons. It is supposed to fix a lot of bugs. Maybe this is one of them

I get normal images with general-purpose, and I haven't updated in a while, so idk.

That said, I find it better to export at print-quality simply because there's a tiny spacing bug - the images on pilot cards (not upgrades) have a 1px gap below them that has to be edited out manually.

That said, I find it better to export at print-quality simply because there's a tiny spacing bug - the images on pilot cards (not upgrades) have a 1px gap below them that has to be edited out manually.

I like to use the general purpose when I can because I'm not normally printing these cards, I'm posting them in forums for people to look at. And the print quality images are just needlessly large for that purpose.

I export at print, correct the gap, overlay a guide-layer so I can get rounded corners/logo overlays/etc, then scale down to 300w to anti-alias the corners.

Basically the same end result.

Edited by Tipperary

I like to use the general purpose when I can because I'm not normally printing these cards, I'm posting them in forums for people to look at. And the print quality images are just needlessly large for that purpose.

I created a bug-report on this:

http://basement.cgjennings.ca/item3585?trackerId=1&itemId=3585&show=view

I export at print, correct the gap, overlay a guide-layer so I can get rounded corners/logo overlays/etc, then scale down to 300w to anti-alias the corners.

Basically the same end result.

Can you explain in more detail about the 1 pixel gap so I can fix it, I did not understand the problem.

Edit: ok I see it now. It is only when exporting also.

Edit 2: Bugfix for the 1 pixel gap will be included in the next release of the plug-in. Thanks for letting me know about this!

Edited by Hinnyboy

I use a Google Android tablet. Downloads and doesn't open. Checked and I was trying to download Windows version (duh). But I can't find an option for Android.

I'd really like to make some personal cards.

I use a Google Android tablet. Downloads and doesn't open. Checked and I was trying to download Windows version (duh). But I can't find an option for Android.

I'd really like to make some personal cards.

Strange Eons does not support android at the moment as far as I know. I have nothing to do with that part, as it is Chris Jennings that develops Strange Eons. I have merely created the X-wing plug-in for Strange Eons.

I do agree with you, though, that it would be pretty useful to have it for android as well.

I'm finding that I can't choose a directory when I save it (this is Strange Eons itself, I'm relatively sure), so it won't export anywhere unless I do it as a .zip.

Can we add the new Episode 7 ships to the listing of priorities? (maybe it's already there and I didn't see it from not enough coffee)

Time to make some new pilots for the T-70, like Wedge :)

I'm finding that I can't choose a directory when I save it (this is Strange Eons itself, I'm relatively sure), so it won't export anywhere unless I do it as a .zip.

Can we add the new Episode 7 ships to the listing of priorities? (maybe it's already there and I didn't see it from not enough coffee)

Time to make some new pilots for the T-70, like Wedge :)

Hi,
A new version of the plug-in has been sent to Chris at Strange Eons so the plug-in library should contain the new version within a couple of days.

Change log:

2015-09-21:

* Improved ship token graphics
* New auxiliary arc
* Option to use official ship symbols for custom ships
* Improved upgrade symbols, action symbols and numbers graphics
* Bug fixes

Next in line is Huge Ship card!

Edited by Hinnyboy

New prio order:

1: Huge ships; single, double and upgrade cards.

2. Wave 8 and new Core set

3. Reference cards.

4. Damage cards.

Edited by Hinnyboy

After searching for a couple days for a proper way to make custom cards, this finally did the trick!
Thank you for all your hard work Hinnyboy!

I was just wondering, would you consider doing something like a "promo card" template for pilot cards?
I'm looking into making a few of those for the existing pilots, only with their portraits instead of ship pictures (kind of how FFG already made a few), but i wanted the larger image area...

I don't mind putting in some work to help you out of course, i can scan and cleanup existing cards to make templates.

After searching for a couple days for a proper way to make custom cards, this finally did the trick!

Thank you for all your hard work Hinnyboy!

I was just wondering, would you consider doing something like a "promo card" template for pilot cards?

I'm looking into making a few of those for the existing pilots, only with their portraits instead of ship pictures (kind of how FFG already made a few), but i wanted the larger image area...

I don't mind putting in some work to help you out of course, i can scan and cleanup existing cards to make templates.

Sure! I have planned to do promo variants of pilot and upgrade cards when I am done with the list above. The big problem is that I don't have any good scans of them (that and spare time...). But if I would happen to have nice clean templates for each of the primary factions (300 dpi or higher), I think I can get this done in no time since most code is the same. So if you help out, you will likely reduce the time when to expect this by about a year.

Hinnyboy! +1 for all your hard work mate. Was mucking around with Gimp making cards until I found this, makes it much quicker and easier.

Keep up the good work!

This may be a Strange Eons bug more than anything, but the ship cards/tokens are sized bloody huge upon export.

By any chance, do you play imperial assault and plan to add a plug in for it as well?

This may be a Strange Eons bug more than anything, but the ship cards/tokens are sized bloody huge upon export.

Can you be more specific? What export option do you use? What do you mean by bloody huge? Is it file size or resolution you mean?

The file size depend on the file type you choose and on the dpi. Resolution depends on dpi only. I haven't found anything abnormal about the file size.

By any chance, do you play imperial assault and plan to add a plug in for it as well?

No sorry. Too much work to support another plug-in. I barely manage to support this one...

But I will be happy to give advice and code from my x-wing plug-in to anyone that wants to give it a try!

The Huge Ship cards are finished at last!

Wait a couple of days and the new version will show in the official download catalog.

Change log:
2015-10-17:
  • Huge Ship Card
  • Ship Dials now supports Huge Ships
  • Bug fixes
Edited by Hinnyboy

Looks interesting and looks like hard work. Thank you for that! ;)

But can you please provide some screenshots what it´s all about (Maybe in your starting post)? Card-creator, in which way? Thank you

Can you be more specific? What export option do you use? What do you mean by bloody huge? Is it file size or resolution you mean?

The file size depend on the file type you choose and on the dpi. Resolution depends on dpi only. I haven't found anything abnormal about the file size.

No sorry. Too much work to support another plug-in. I barely manage to support this one...

But I will be happy to give advice and code from my x-wing plug-in to anyone that wants to give it a try!

It was resolution, of the cards themselves (i.e. they weren't printing out at the correct dimensions). Anyways, seems to be resolved now, so that newest patch may have fixed it.

Yeah, I figured. If it was something you were able to do, you would have done it by now. Unfortunately I don't gave anywhere near the skills to attempt something like this. Too bad to, because IA could probably use such a tool a lot more than x-wing or Armada.

It was resolution, of the cards themselves (i.e. they weren't printing out at the correct dimensions). Anyways, seems to be resolved now, so that newest patch may have fixed it.

I usually lay them out using MS Publisher and print a few different pilot and upgrade cards at a time. That way you can resize there, and the high resolution ensures a nice crisp quality print.

A new version is soon available in the download catalog. Previous version contained a bug; single card huge ships did not get action and upgrade icons on the card. Thanks Harleigh for the report!

Also added a proper huge ship example in this version.

Edit: Fixed another bug; it was impossible to get 2-bank maneuvers.

Edited by Hinnyboy