Wounds: How I did it by Victor "Madpoet" Frankenstein

By madpoet, in WFRP House Rules

Since I started playing WFRP3 I thought it was a beautiful and innovative system but with some serious faults.

After a couple of months I began to wonder how to fix the things I didn t like and I after 3 years I still create new house rules or I modify existing ones.

But let's stick to the topic.

I think healing is too easy and quick for a "grim and gritty" campaign.

So I decided to modify the RAW in the following way:

1/Every night a character heal 1 normal wound + the the result (hammers only) of a Resiliency roll. Resting for a full day add 1 to the healed wounds.

2/After healing all normal wound tha character can start healing critical ones. The amount of hammers is the critical rating that can be healed.

Severe wounds can be healed after standard criticals.

3/difficulty for both rolls is as per RAW (1 purple die or 2 for critical wounded character)

4/Medicine skill add 1 yellow die per training level of the "doctor" which doesn t need to roll at all but he can cure/assist only 1 patients per Int points per hour.

5/going in a Shallyan hospice reduce the difficulty healing (1 less purple die) but the character must stay at least one full day.

6/every single healing spells can be tried only once a day for each character.

7/First Aid skill doesn't heal normal wounds anymore it works for critical.

At the end of a combat the skill can be used to treat just one single critical wound suffered by each character. The amount of hammers is the severity rating of the critical that can be turned into normal wound.

8/For the previously mentioned rolls eagles can results in special bonuses and skulls add fatigue for the following day.

9/Poor hygienic conditions can results in black dice added to the every related roll.

10/ Human characters start with 12 wounds and dwarves with 14. The critical wound threshold is 3 for all races (if you pass out from wounds and already have 3 criticals, you get the fourth and DIE).

Edited by madpoet

I forgot to add the following:

11/ healing balms can be used before resting. In this case the white dice are added to the daily Resiliency's skill result.

In my campaign, PCs never heal all their wounds. Critical wounds would become really incredibly dangerous, especially to low toughness characters.

jh

why they never heal all their wounds? too many fights?

I tend to reduce the number of fight but to increase the lethality of the gaming system.

We play just 2 or 3 times every month so I want to save time for role playing.

Also there ar not dungeons or rolled casual encounters if not needed to the adventure so players usually can rest at least a couple of days before fighting again. usually but not always.

the should be scared of fighting so they're forced to find more clever approaches to solve an encounter.

In my experience, if you use the limits mentioned in the Player's Guide it's pretty hard for PCs to heal all their wounds in a single day. It sounds like maybe you're house-ruling to solve the loopholes that were in the core book, when they've already been closed via the newer text in the Player's Guide.

The PG changed the healing limits to:

• Each spell or blessing limited to once per person per day.
  • Each injury or act limited to one "Immediate Care" First Aid or Medicine check, beyond that all First Aid and Medicine can do is add bonus dice to the daily Recovery check.

At my table most fights end up with at least one of the PCs KO'd. Even when the player's use every healing option available to them, that character certainly isn't looking to start another fight the next day. They'll recover a little less than 1/2 of their normal wounds per day on average, and I've frequently seen crits linger for a half a dozen days (or sessions) before finally being healed. This has held true into Rank 3 anyway.

If the players can finesse the plotline so they have several days to recover between fights, good for them. Clever thinking and caution should be rewarded for the most part, in my opinion. Even with 2 or 3 days to recover between battles, there's still a decent chance someone will have a nasty critical they haven't managed to shake off, so it's not a perfect reset button and battles still have meaningful consequences.

Anyhow, I'm just suggesting that the PG's limits may already solve the problems you're trying to patch via house-rule. If that's not the case, and you already knew the PG had reigned in the healing rules but felt it didn't go far enough, feel free to ignore me.

Edited by r_b_bergstrom

At my table most fights end up with at least one of the PCs KO'd. Even when the player's use every healing option available to them, that character certainly isn't looking to start another fight the next day. They'll recover a little less than 1/2 of their normal wounds per day on average, and I've frequently seen crits linger for a half a dozen days (or sessions) before finally being healed. This has held true into Rank 3 anyway.

Ah ha! A GM after my own heart! :)

jh

I've already 'absorbed' the spell/blessing limit. Regarding First aid it has Always been a problem in many different rpg systems.

If the skill heal normal wounds the players should track how many wounds the got from a single encounter.

I didn t like it.

I m aware I nearly rewrote the system. I changed many thing (more than the ones I posted but the others are minor ruls) but I did it because it didn t sound realistic to me or because it was too slow to manage during a game session.

Before WFRP3 I NEVER changed any rules and I was reluctant even to use fan's materials.

I immediately felt that WFRP3 hid something good but it was buried under tons of tokens and burdensome rules.

I don't find the rules burdensome so much as just poorly organized. This game screams for an SRD (system reference document). Maybe they could get universal-head to do it for them. His original write-up summary of the game mechanics was BANNED by FFG. Now why would they do that?

jh

did you read WH40k manuals?Are you aware of the mess they did with Dark Heresy beta? Honestly I don t think their skill in creating boardgame is matched by their ability in managing a complex rpg.

So I stopped to ask question to my self and I started to fix the issues I find.

I like this suggestions, might try them out. My group rarely gets into combat, once each 3-5 game sessions. So the risk of accumulated damage over multiple combats don't work for us and makes the system feel to safe.