Cult of the Golden Scarab

By thecorinthian, in Fan Creations

My fan expansion, Cult of the Golden Scarab, is finished (well, very nearly, anyway). You can download a .torrent file from either of these places:

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/1857048/8653360/

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4816694/Arkham_Horror_-_Cult_of_the_Golden_Scarab

This expansion is a sequel to Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and is filled with eye-popping Egyptian evilness. It includes 8 Investigators, 6 Ancient Ones, 1 Herald and 1 Guardian, 32 Common Items, 32 Exhibit Items, 32 Spells, 16 Unique items, 16 Skills, 16 Allies, 36 Arkham Encounters, 24 Other World Encounters, 22 Mythos cards, 33 Monsters and a few other special cards. This torrent file includes all the .eons and in most cases you'll need to export the images. If you do torrent the expansion (or any part of it) please, please let it seed, because right now I'm pretty much the only seed, and the torrent needs all the help it can get.

This is a 'work in progress' and I'm relying on you guys to playtest it. There may be problems with the rules and/or any of the cards themselves. Please let me know if you have any thoughts or find any problems. The rulebooks are available as .doc files from the website in my sig.

Well can't you just upload it to megaupload or another direct-download site?

Free hosting sites are time-limited and size-limited, they restrict the amount of traffic, and they require a single zipped-up file rather than letting people get only the bits they want to use. I'd rather create a torrent once (which I have already done, anyway) than have to keep re-uploading the files for as long as people want to get them.

The file is not found in the link above and the one on your old CotGS page is also broken (I favorited that a long time ago for reference).

Thank you Thecorinthian -

The work you've done to this point has been awesome, so it goes without saying that I am excited about your finished expansion.

I bookmarked the download link earlier this afternoon so I could attempt downloading this evening, but as of now the link no longer is good.

Take Care

I know, it's broken right now! Sorry! It's not my fault; the Pirate Bay are having problems with their upload form.

Edited to add: alternate Demonoid torrent now up: www.demonoid.com/files/details/1856438/8653360/

Also, I've already spotted one or two problems which I may fix sooner or later, but for now here they are:

- The 'deck' files probably won't point to the proper locations of the card images at first, so you might have to redirect each card the first time you load a deck file. Sorry about this - I'm not sure there's any way for me to fix it. (Also, I think I forgot to re-do one of the deck files after changing a card name, so if the Unique deck asks for 'Witch's Finger', it means 'Hand of Glory'.)

- I DO know that some of the Investigators don't have backstories yet. It's because I haven't written 'em.

- The 'Ur-Sphinx' Ancient One says 'Golden Scarab' in two places where it should say 'Tomb-Thing'.

- If you've managed to download a version of the torrent which includes a seventh (and very weird) Ancient One called 'Sarcophagus', ignore it - it's something I was trying to get to work, but which creates huge rules problems and has now been 'shelved'.

Yea, nice to see this almost at completion, especially since last time I asked you said it was kind of in limbo. Erm, so any kind of eta on 100% completion? ;o) heh heh

Btw, Demonoid link is dead but Pirate Bay link is up and running (prefer to use that site anyways).

Right! Should all work now.

Disregard all the previous links (above), and just go and get the torrents by following the links on this site: sites.google.com/site/cultofthegoldenscarab/

Why do these boards sometimes have an 'edit post' button and sometimes not?

Yea, nice to see this almost at completion, especially since last time I asked you said it was kind of in limbo. Erm, so any kind of eta on 100% completion? ;o) heh heh

I wouldn't get your hopes up for a more complete version than this! Not for a while, anyway. But right now the only missing bits are three of the investigator stories.

Ahhh, cool, if that is all that's missing I can cope with that no worries.

Yeah the inconsistent Edit option on the forum is a little wierd, perhaps governed by phases of the moon or something. :o )

This is really slow, you can upload it to rapidshare , I'll download it and then upload it to my premium account.

You should post some cards here so I can look t the sexiness! corazon.gif

If you use www.utorrent.com/ or www.vuze.com/app (or pretty much any other torrent client) you can download individual bits as you wish. However I will post images in some of the relevant threads so that discussion happens in the right places.

The torrent may be a bit slow at first but it'll probably pick up speed as more of us get the files. I'd like there to be a working torrent of these files that can be found by searching on torrent sites, so I'd prefer it if that's how it was distributed for the moment.

Pretty please, can we have documentation in some format other than .docx? I, for one, do not own Office 2007. Otherwise - awesome stuff! makes the Exhibit Item deck something other than a joke! Yay!

I'd rather not re-upload the torrent, but you can now get .doc versions of the rulebooks on the Golden Scarab website.

That is all I needed. Many thanks.

Thecorinthian -

I don't really know what torrent files are. I went to my friends house that has a super fast computer connection and he explained it to be. He said that I would need some bit tracker program.

So, it turns out that I won't be able to get your expansion for quite some time, as I just have a modem (over 3 million Americans still do, as some of us live in rural populated areas), and downloading such a huge file is nearly impossible, let along trying to do a torrent.

Your Cult of the Golden Scarab site was so nice, for I could go to the sections that I was interested in, slowly let the images develop and then save.

Won't Board Game Geek allow your to post you expansion? That would be a good place to archive it for the future.

Thanks

The whole expansion comes to about 110mb, and there's no way for me to significantly decrease it. Even if it was all zipped up in a ZIP file or a RAR, it's waaaay more than BGG will let me upload, and there might be copyright issues anyway.

However, the whole reason for making the torrent was that people can stop and start their downloads more easily, and pick and choose which bits to download - which an upload service like Rapidshare wouldn't do. What I will try to do is put exported versions of the latest images back up on the website - but I can't promise I'll have it all done straight away. Stay tuned.

I agree. how about posting several files separately as .zips - One for spells, one for mythos, one for locations, one for common items, etc. I'd really like to try your expansion, but have issues with .torrent files.

Using BitTorrent and Pirate Bay I have downloaded everything in a few minutes; via broadband. Right, now to print and glue, I have a production line planned.

Super stuff.

This looks like a fantastic expansion. At a glance I particularly like what you've done with the spells, making spellcasting a more useful and attractive option.

A couple of questions:

When I try the open the common item deck a missing game component file window opens displaying the following message:

'Unable to locate one of the cards used in this deck

The card Amoured Vest (Back Side) was not found at:
C:UsersTimDocumentsRPGs and GamingArkham Horror-Misc('Bonus Content!')/Bonus items/Armoured Vest.eon'

Unless I point SE in the direction of a file with this name it fails to open the common items deck. Is this file meant to be included? I assume it 's not and I should work around this.

Finally I'd like to do justice to the work you've put in to this and print it out on some decent card stock. I've never bought any card stock before and wondered if there was any particular type or brand I ought to go for to best match the official cards.

Thanks,

Tom

Aha! The mythical lost armoured vest strikes again!

Yeah, there used to be an item called the Armoured Vest but I cut it. The card image was added to the 'deck' file before the card itself was removed, and I failed to notice this before I posted the files online. Sorry!

As you've gussed, all you need to do is point SE at some random card file and when it's loaded, delete that card's faces from the list and save the deck file again. Then it should work, I think.

If that fails, feel free to make up your own exciting Armoured Vest card and add that. :)

As for the card stock, I have no idea. I only have a fussy black and white printer which chews up most good cardboard, so all the custom content I ever print for AH looks pretty shabby. You're on your own I'm afraid - unless someone else has found a good way of printing stuff.

I get the same error, and it makes me sad.

This is an awesome expansion! I love CotDP and this is a wonderful sequel.

One question though, why are almost all of the custom investigators a few dollars over the spending limit?