Even more Custom YT-1300's

By ZombieHedgehog, in X-Wing

As I really enjoyed building my first custom YT-1300 and my YT-1200 I've buitl 2 more, they were a lot quicker to put together as I now have a better idea of how to carry out the conversion.

I like the central position for the cockpit so went with the same conversion, I wanted to do something a little different so I removed the right mandible and replaced it with some sensors which were made with some plasticard and brass rod. I also decided to try a different paint scheme and went with one yellow but the second was blue which I think worked out ok.

The photo's:

Yellow with sensors:

photo3_zpsa855daae.jpg

photo2_zps9c3996a8.jpg

Blue Colour Scheme:

photo4_zpsf41171bc.jpg

photo2_zpscc47a22d.jpg

I really enjoyed working on these ships but I'll not be keeping these, I'm looking at starting another project for my Outer Rim Smuggler list, after searching the internet I found an image of a heavily modified YT-1300 which I think is called Courageous, I think it will take quite a lot of time and paitience to build but I'm happy to give it a go, hopefully it will turn out similar to the image:

photo_zpsf65b2cc5.jpg

I really like the look of this ship as it's very different to the stock model but still has the same back.

I thought my modelling skills where good, but they fade into rubbish compared to your pictures.

John B.

My modelling skills are non-existent and I'm blown away by some of the conversions, custom paint jobs and scratch builds I see on the forum. Awesome work!

That is some really good miniature work for models that are so small. I like all the variants you have done.

There you go...again!

:lol:

Awesome work buddie...wow wow wow! Now you need to do a green one up!

:D

bah, you guys make this look so easy! I may have a try myself once...

There you go...again! :lol: Awesome work buddie...wow wow wow! Now you need to do a green one up! :D

When painting these I actually thought about going for a free scheme but I know blue is quite popular and I can't seem to get totally away from yellow, my own figures will have a yellow scheme. I will probably look in to this for another conversion, I don't really want to stop building these at the moment. I think is because it's a pretty simple conversion after building the YT-1200 which I'm still trying to get painted, I wasn't happy with the scheme I went with so have started again.

I'm looking forward to starting the Courageous, should be fund to build.

Thanks for all the kind comments everyone!!

That yellow sure is nice...

-_-

bah, you guys make this look so easy! I may have a try myself once...

I think the key is to find a method that you're comfortable with. fortunately you can hide small mistakes with extra details on the Falcon. which makes things easier.

That yellow sure is nice...

-_-

Cheers, I really like this yellow, I want to paint my 2 outer rim smuggler miniatures and the x-wings in the same list to tie everything together, I like how the yellow looks as it's quite different to the standard figure, I think it works well with the greys and its simple to paint. Also I thinks it's' a little different to other colour schemes, reds and blues tend to be popular across the board, I must like to be a little different :) .

I'm sure there will be plenty of oppurtunities to try out different schemes, I can't seem to stop converting YT-1300's. I will be looking at different YT models to see what will be simple to convert, I like the idea of fielding older ships for a game. I'm also going to have a look at different modifications that can be done.

I was also looking at starting a scratch YT-2400 as I think it would be easier that using the falcon as a base. I'm just not sure how to go about working out the scale so if anyone could offer any help it would really be appreciated, not looking at starting this project just yet though.

As this is something I enjoy doing and people seem to like my miniatures, I am looking at probably taking on commissions if people would be interested, if I sold some models I'm sure it would also make my wife a lot happier.

Also, if anyone would like to try their own conversion similar to mine I would be more that happy to offer any advice, not that I think that my method or finished product is perfect.

I really appreciate

Takes a bit of LOVE doesn't it...

Say man why not build a whole fleet of Smuggler/Pirates?

Takes a bit of LOVE doesn't it...

Say man why not build a whole fleet of Smuggler/Pirates?

I think it will turn in to this eventually, I would love to field a load of different YT-1300's in a big game, I think having a variety of different looking ships would be cool. I just need to have a think and find some more images for inspiration. I would like to do something different but I don't want it to turn in to a massive project!!

I think for a 100pts 3 outer rim smugglers with the anti pursuit lasers would be fun to play and would give me chance to regularly play 3 YT-1300's.

I think I just played lists because I liked how things worked together but now I just to try to find any excuse to use a YT-1300, I think I'm becoming that obsessed/crazy YT-1300 guy.

It IS going to be a very cool Smuggler Faction buddie. I am going to build a little meaner Pirate Fleet for my third Faction.

I like the idea of putting together a band of smugglers so I've started another thread to track progress. Just need some inspiration to try out some different conversions. I am thinking of trying to put together a yt-1300 with the cockpit underneath the front in the middle but convert the cockpit so there are windows all the way round.

Question: do y'all strip the paint from these before you convert them, or start converting right out of the box?

Nope I convert straight from the box and paint over the top I would just suggest that you seal the paint with some varnish just to make sure.

I am sorry but this thing is hideous. Looks like the ship is giving me the middle finger.

Edited by Wookie Hunter

I am sorry but this thing is hideous. Looks like the ship is giving me the middle finger.

How can you not like this ship??

I do think that I like random ships, I don't think this will be the easiest to build but I'll give it a go.

I've started work on another conversion, this will be similar to the other blue falcon that I made but will be a slightly darker blue and the turret gun has be turned 180:

Some progress pics:

photo3_zps69b36b23.jpg

photo2_zpsbcf422bb.jpg

The more conversions I do, I manage to get the work done slightly quicker which is good. I think with the different panels each model is slightly different which is nice so they're not all exactly the same.

I just need to add a few more details then should be able to get on with painting.

Looking very good.

The blue one looks absolutely amazing

Thanks for the comments!

Made a little more progress on the latest custom :

photo_zps5e942318.jpg

Gone for a darker blue this time. Not the best photo but I will try to take a better one soon.

Once this is finished I'll be getting back on to working on the YT-2400. I alsoanages to get some more painting done on the YT-1200 a while ago, I've added some black and yellow checkerboard panels for something a little different . I will try to get it finished and some photos on here soon.

You are going to rule the commerce lanes.

I maybe would if I was keeping all of these YT-1300s. Although I do plan on putting a few different variants together for myself. I already have my YT-1200, my part built YT-2400 and I've got a quite drastic YT-1300 conversion planned, not 100% on the design yet, I'll try to get some bad sketches posted on my smugglers alliance thread for a little feedback.

I am looking forward to it!

You are going to rule the commerce lanes.

I know, right? The other smugglers will have to pay him tribute for protection.

So, hedgehog. About this imperial customs corvette. What's your price for freedom? On the outer rim, one can buy a blind eye.