Age of Rebellion STINKS!

By Desslok, in General Discussion

I opened my box from Miniature Market yesterday and sweet merciful crap - the stench nearly knocked me out of my chair! What did FFG print this book with? Skunk juice?

The cover feels weird too, kind of powdery - but that might be just me.

The book definitely has a different smell and texture feel from the Edge of the Empire Beta Book. I think it might be all the red ink.

Or perhaps it's merely the smell of SUCCESS! *nods sagely*

I was prepared for a poorly-thought out rant about how FF is overcharging players for "a splat book's worth of content".

I did not expect this. Well played, OP.

I don't believe my copy had any odd smell about it. Then again I don't make it a habit of smelling my new books.

Funny you should mention this. My copy had an overwhelming chemical smell that gave me a severe headache. The odor is still there, but it's had a chance to air out, I guess, and doesn't bother me as much as it did originally.

I never noticed any unusual odor or texture on my copy. Could there be something going on that this is only happening with some copies?

That's... rather strange.

I own two copies- one from Miniature Market and one from another local gaming store. Neither has an odd smell or texture. I just compared the smell of my AoR beta books to my EotE beta books and they both smell very similar.

I don't believe my copy had any odd smell about it. Then again I don't make it a habit of smelling my new books.

But new book smell is like the best smell. I can't comprehend how people don't smell new books...

and i thought they smelled bad on the outside

(someone had to say it)

But new book smell is like the best smell. I can't comprehend how people don't smell new books...

Yeah, I was gonna say, new RPG book smell is one of my favorite smells.

While I don't have the smell, I've not made my mind up on the odd texture. Really wansn't expecting that, but the book feels sturdy so it's a very minor thing to mention.

I do. To me, there is almost no better smell than the scent of a new book, fresh off the printer.

F-you Kindles: I'll keep to my smelly ol' books and remain in the dark ages.

Both my EOTE and AoR beta books have the same weird smell.

I got the EOTE beta secondhand and just assumed the previous owner was a heavy smoker until I got the AoE book from MM with the same smell. Maybe the FFG staff are all heavy smokers? The stress of living up to our demands! :-)

I also noticed a smell, though not awful. It was that "powdery" feel that struck me; I was wiping the cover and checking my fingertips. Odd, huh?

Picturing y'all out there smelling your books right now is really making me giggle. :P

For the record, my EotE Beta was pretty funky, and powdery, too. Not buying the beta this time around, though.

This.

I loved the smell of mine.

I love this place. It's great to know there are people who share my love of Star Wars, role playing and sniffing new books!

And what's truly great, we get to do all three at the same time!

Come back, please don't run away ... again!

Someone else who does what I do! :D

Yeah! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who crawls into bed at night with a book, hugging and rocking it until I fall asleep in a happy daze. :)

Wait... I am the only one?

I feel lonely. :(

In high school (some years ago, my daughter isn't far away from high school now herself... when did I get old ;_;.), my school was on a 4 year rotation of replacing the school texts (one year math, next year science, next year english, next year social studies, then back to math), and I developed my love for newly printed books from sleeping in class with my head resting on an open newly printed book.

Every year I looked forward to whichever book was the new one.

Textbooks/rulebooks always have the best smells.

Edited by Emperor Norton

Yeah! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who crawls into bed at night with a book, hugging and rocking it until I fall asleep in a happy daze. :)

You most certainly did not fall asleep inside me... Um... :unsure:

You most certainly did not fall asleep inside me... Um... :unsure:

No? Perhaps it was some other Happy Daze... perhaps a twin sister?

As someone who's entire life has been defined by books, I can attest I love the feel and the scent of them...

You can keep your 'kindles' and I-pads'. I'll keep my books.

As someone who's entire life has been defined by books, I can attest I love the feel and the scent of them...

You can keep your 'kindles' and I-pads'. I'll keep my books.

I agree completely...

except when the book has developed some sort of mold or something. Blecht!