Some other effect besides hourglass for green die?

By Emirikol, in WFRP House Rules

I'm finding that the drawback for the green die isn't really all that great. This, considering that the green die is 2-3% better in successes (including multiple successes) than the red die on almost all permutations.

The current drawback of the green die is that the GM can stick a 1 recharge on any one of your currently recharging cards. Meh. Once a person has 4-5 cards, this is pretty much moot.

What other options could be available?

jh

According to the rules, it's two recharge tokens.

The main issue with the red dice is not successes, but the boon ratio, which is much lower than on green dice (29,5% for two boons with 6 red dice and 58% with 6 green dice).

I have made the following house rules for red dice to balance them. Plus balancing the expertise die. No matter how many exertions you get it only adds two boons... like the fatigue/stress rule. It was inspired by a talent that actually gives two boons on a delay. The reckless banes only counting as one bane will be tested, but it may not be needed as the chance for two+ banes on 6 reckless dice is only 11,4%, while the chance of getting two boons from exertion is 73,8%.

· One or more E on reckless dice count as one E added to the result.

· Reckless dice gain the following effect: H add DD to the result in addition to the normal H effect.

· F count as a D AND F but can't be used as a A

Edited by Gallows

If I read the rules correctly (page 53 PG) you can put them on any action card, not just recharging cards. That's how we use the delay symbol and it makes the delay more powerful.

I often use it to put the 2 recharge tokens on active defences, preferably on an improved or advanced version. The players tend to dislike that they got 2 recharge on their best active defence right before they get attacked.

For priests or wizards the recharge often goes to curry favour or channel power, which often slows them down considerably (especially if they roll another delay in their next turn and I put two new recharge tokens on curry/channel). It gets really fun when a player have thought to quick cast a spell/blessing and rolls a delay on the first roll, then I stick a few recharge to either curry favour or the spell they were planning to using, and disrupting their plans.

Man, I've been doing it wrong for 4 years! I could have been killing off twice the number I did before!

I'm having a talk with the boys when we start Book 3 of TEW. There's going to be some new PC screwage' going on > :)

An hourglass can also be used to drop the initiative position by one

Edited by thePREdiger

And what thePREdiger says is actually what my players dislike the most. In a fight which lasts more than a few rounds and the players go for a conservative approach they soon find the initiative markers sliding towards the bottom.

What makes this especially annoying is that when I move down their top initiative, that pc will already have acted this round and now his (or whomever gets to use the slot) next turn will be delayed; potentially fatal with the right timing (for example when they are all counting on the first pc to act to throw up a guarded position, or to move to a strategic position, or out of harms way, or something like that).

There's a weird logic-hole if you put the hourglass recharge penalty on an Active Defense. The green dice represent being cautious and conservative, but they can end up leaving you open for a counter-attack that way. The red dice represent being reckless, and while they do increase the chance of negative side-effects, they never drop your defenses. It's kinda strange. This came up in conversation at our table once, and ever since I've never put the hourglass penalty on an active defense. I put it on attacks or on initiative.

Getting the green and red dice to balance out is definitely part of the GM's learning curve in this game. The green dice have consistent successes and more boons than the red, so to balance that a Delay should be a little worse than an Exertion in most circumstances. However, green dice also represent being careful and red dice represent taking big risks, so the worst possible delay effect shouldn't be as bad as the KO that can (rarely) come about from Exertion. Lets say you can rate Exertion on a scale from 1 to 10 where 1 is your first point of fatigue and you can laugh it off, but 10 is the point of fatigue that KO's you in the middle of a major battle. If that's the scale, the effects of the Delay icon should probably be a consistent 6 or 7 - painful and annoying, but never fatal.

If I read the rules correctly (page 53 PG) you can put them on any action card, not just recharging cards. That's how we use the delay symbol and it makes the delay more powerful.

I often use it to put the 2 recharge tokens on active defences, preferably on an improved or advanced version. The players tend to dislike that they got 2 recharge on their best active defence right before they get attacked.

For priests or wizards the recharge often goes to curry favour or channel power, which often slows them down considerably (especially if they roll another delay in their next turn and I put two new recharge tokens on curry/channel). It gets really fun when a player have thought to quick cast a spell/blessing and rolls a delay on the first roll, then I stick a few recharge to either curry favour or the spell they were planning to using, and disrupting their plans.

My approach as well, the delay means you're out of position or distracted to a reacton card defence or a basic channel etc. gets recharge. It took me a while to realize it was "any card" not just a recharging one too though.

Hi,

I usually rationalise the placing of delay recharge tokens on active defences as being a result of caution in attack giving your opponent/s the opportunity to press forward their own attacks, using the slightly abstract nature of WFRP 3 tests. I believe one of the fencing masters of the 13-15C (Leichtenaur or Meyer, I cant honestly remember!), used to teach that he who relies exclusively on defence will eventually fail, not due to a lack of ability but that receiving strikes ongoing is a worse place to be than being the guy doing the striking.

That probably wasnt the best explanation, hope its clear enough to make sense...