Looted Vehicles

By venkelos, in Only War Game Masters

So, I think everyone knows that the best stuff the Orks don't make, they loot. I find it very hard to believe that, with the various Human places the Orks of the Spinward Front have taken, either by tenacity or the Duke's foolish weakening strategies gone oops, that they haven't captured numerous Imperial weapons caches.

So, say one wanted to use Ork loota Imperium vehicles, such as a looted Leman Russ or Baneblade (not sure what other vehicles they really would want, with Chimeras not necessarily being big enough, etc.) What rules/modifications might you use to make it an 'Orky' Leman Russ? Some ideas on armor and weapons, too? Thanks.

Need more dakka.

to be honest id just use the normal rules for the vehicle and just storytell that the heavystubber is a dakkagun or whatever

it really doesnt matter to much, i mostly just use looted leman rules and chimeras to challenge my player recon regiment and their chimera since most infantry is not much of a threat if the players are careful, a leman russ is tough

I would make some modification to standard Imperial vehicles to make them more memorable than just "another Leman Russ like the dozen rebel ones we already fought".

More than changing the stats I would give each looted vehicle some special characteristic or ability. Something to properly reflect the orky inspiration that gripped the mekboy on the morning he fixed this vehicle.

A few examples:

A Leman Russ tank with a reinforced front plate, that nothing short of titan class weapons can penetrate. Grenades bounce, las blasts are absorbed etc. However the vehicle is now so front heavy, that the PC can tip it over and render it utterly helpless if they can figure out a way of lifting its rear end even slightly.

Chimera APCs converted to proper Orky vehicles by strapping giant rokkits into their cargo compartment and having lots of boyz hanging on to the outside of the vehicles in harnesses or chains and blasting away from behind crude welded shields. These will plow through the Imperial positions unless something unfortunate happens to the volatile rokkits. In that case I would keep the scatter rules on hand for maximum fun and carnage.

A Baneblade tank built into a effigy of Commissar Yarrick, just because the ancient madman is getting almost a cult among orks, and he seemed to like driving that model of tank about. It would have las cannons moved to the eyes and a arm swinging about like the wrecking ball of a crane. It would of course be filled with boyz to fight when the PC are ordered to capture it back. Bonus points for sword and flamer duels on top of Yarrick's hat, where the tank boss has his comman platform.

This is nitpicking but I don't think an Ork in the Spinward Front would ever have heard of Commissar Yarrick (even if the timeline didn't make it impossible, Armageddon is a long way away and there is no Galactic Orky News Service).

Anyway to do things quick and dirty without taking the time to create my own vehicle form scratch, I would just take a standard vehicle and give its weapons Inaccurate; if there are lots of Meks around I might increase the RoF on the guns.

EDIT: Don't looted wagonz in TT have a special Red Button rule? Maybe increase Tactical Speed but lower Maneuverability?

Edited by bogi_khaosa

Looted Wagonz have a big red button the driver must try not to push, which is hard for an ork! If he does the vehicle drives full speed forward. It's mostly done that way because the vehicle is fundementally..unorky.

And the best stuff the orks have, they DO make. Like gargants.

I've never had an Ork Codex, so I didn't know if their looted Russ would have more armor (all that plating they add), less armor (as they don't take as good a care of it, or tore in hand holds), be slower (again, all that plate), faster (red button/paint job), or have Orky guns (the way Orks fire, the battle cannon would run out of shells, and then they need an Orky replacement, or no big boom!).

Gargants are nice, but when I compare a looted LR to a "crappy" wagon, I meant that what they steal from the Guard might be better, regular-grade stuff being the focus. Yeah, they need Apocalypse-caliber stuff, and stealing a Titan is dumb, I don't care, so they must build their own awesome there.

This is nitpicking but I don't think an Ork in the Spinward Front would ever have heard of Commissar Yarrick (even if the timeline didn't make it impossible, Armageddon is a long way away and there is no Galactic Orky News Service ).

[...]

Are you sure ? Are you absolutely sure ?

I've never had an Ork Codex, so I didn't know if their looted Russ would have more armor (all that plating they add), less armor (as they don't take as good a care of it, or tore in hand holds), be slower (again, all that plate), faster (red button/paint job), or have Orky guns (the way Orks fire, the battle cannon would run out of shells, and then they need an Orky replacement, or no big boom!).

Gargants are nice, but when I compare a looted LR to a "crappy" wagon, I meant that what they steal from the Guard might be better, regular-grade stuff being the focus. Yeah, they need Apocalypse-caliber stuff, and stealing a Titan is dumb, I don't care, so they must build their own awesome there.

*checks codex* It has rather low armour. More like a light tank (not even talking medium, leman russ are heavy tanks). They use the gun already in place, in fact they tend to loot tanks based on how big a cannon they have. Speed they are the same as comparable vehicles in the guard UNLESS they have a red paint job.

A landraider versus a battlewagon is not a fair comparison. That's like comparing a tactical marine to a boy. It's NEVER 1v1. I don't have the newest SM codex, but in the old one Battlewagon : Landraider ratio would be 3:1 based on points, with LR a bit more expensive leaving extra upgrades for the battlewagons. I don't think I'd loose that on the tabletop...*note for next 40k battle*

Edit: Like i said, the main issue orks have with looted wagons is that it's not orky and thus they tend to...fumble alot. IE: big red button rule. (how I hate, yet love, that rule)

Edited by Ghaundan

This is nitpicking but I don't think an Ork in the Spinward Front would ever have heard of Commissar Yarrick (even if the timeline didn't make it impossible, Armageddon is a long way away and there is no Galactic Orky News Service ).

[...]

Is there a reference to one somewhere? :)

[...]

Edited by Fgdsfg

[...]

I don't know, but I'm imagining da Orkz Galaktik Posta' Servis now.

Have to continue this as this just popped in to my mind.

Big Mek with huge, and I mean big as a planet, Shokk Attack Gun and huge supply of Snotlings. Grot oilers and what nots helping scrible ork messages tied to, before mentioned Snotlings, that are then shot through, also before mentioned, huge Shokk Attack Gun. Presto Ork Postal Service.

And back to the post.

Lets see.

Take one Imperial vehicle, Undamaged or Damaged, it doesn't matter.

Remove any unnecessary things, like warning labels, cushioned driver seats but remember to leave warning lights and speed meter.

Add Tablespoon of Ramshackle/Extreme Volatile/Ponderous/etc etc to it

Sprincle all over with propa Orky Wepons, The bigger the better, as long as they make loud noise.

and finish with Red Paint Job.

All I can think of now is a galactic Ork news service, and it sounds glorious. In terms of what to do with looted vehicles maybe look at some of their stuff and try to hybridize with imperial ones, also, the idea of the modded baneblade is frankly too good to pass up, I think I need to add that into one of my stories.

Somewhere in the fluff it was mentioned that for Orks interplanetary communications is mostly just hurling long range insults to random directions in the hopes that those insults will be heard by someone who gets angry enough to arrive and fight the Orks.

Also, some story about the hive fleet that was redirected into the Ork held territories by Inquisitor Kryptmann mention that the other Ork worlds had heard about the Tyranids approaching and eating the Orks on the first worlds they attacked, taking this as a cue to stop fighting each other since a fun new enemy had arrived. So they at least share some information between worlds. Actually, I think Yarrick and other notable enemies are the exact type of news they would be likely to share between each other.

From my old Codizes i can tell you that Orks could take whole vehicle, but would replace the drivers and gunners and cogitators with Orks and Gretchins. Much lower BS. But they can get orky upgrades like a red paint job, and big shootas.

And they have a special rule about a Red Button, which could result in higher speed or an exploding engine. Fun times.

But as time goes on those vehicles get damaged or morkified and resemble more and more the other ork tanks and such.

I have a model of a plundered Leman Russ, where the Orks bolted on extra plates and platforms so that literaly 20+ models of Orkboys could be placed on it. Very important since Ork vehicles can only transport as many Orks as literaly can be placed on them.

Very important since Ork vehicles can only transport as many Orks as literaly can be placed on them.

Could, past tense.

The 4th ed codex gives ork vehicles a transport capacity.

Which is rather sad. You could build all kinds of whacky vehicles and they would work just like you built them. Now they are standartized -.-

My recommendation as an ork player is first you need to lower the armor value on all sides by d10, because in most cases this vehicle was destroyed before it was looted. Next you modify it based on what clan took it:

Goffs: extra transport capacity and anti-infantry guns

Snakebites: turn the vehicle into a squig-drawn war chariot

Evil sunz: remove an additional d5 armor from each side and d5-1 maneuverability because they gotta go fast!

Death skulls: bigger, heavier and slower. Add d5 armor to each side, reduce the speed and stick the biggest custom blasts you can find, maybe the orks inside can repair it on the go like grot oilers?