Enemy Within: "A Commision From Red Arrow"

By RARodger, in WFRP Gamemasters

I'm just starting to work through my first read through of The Enemy Within. I apologize if this has come up in any of the umpteen threads already about the campaign, but reading through those are going to be Step Two of the great plan.

But the bit where Curd Weiss seeks out the PCs for a job just strikes me as implausible. I guess if the players have drawn attention to themselves as investigating the disappearances it kind of makes sense, but it still seems like a huge leap of convenience. And it certainly would depend on the background and character types.

How has that played out in your games? Did you run it as is? Did it flow well? Or did you find yourself looking for another connection to get the players involved?

(For the record, I'm not used to running published adventures and know I have a tendency to treat them too much as rules and not enough as inspiration for my own adventures, if that makes any sense.)

It sure speeds things along not to worry about it too much. Yes it is convenient. I usually Warhammer' it by saying, "nobody else was available, and all the children are in school..so we're going to hire you scumbags." :)

There are enough rumours flying and NPCs that they get exposed to that it seems to work well. Also, PM valvorik and have him get you the expansion that he did up for Book 1. It's great.

jh

The backgrounds should assist with this, someone has a connection to The Red Arrow, Curd, Kaufman, or even Clothilde.

It is important to set these up to help pull the PCs through the campaign, even going further than the written ones. I made Eothlir a relative of the elf PC, and gave the dwarf's clan a debt of honour to the van Alptraums, for example.