Surviving Avi's Fan League :-)

By eagermind, in Fan Creations

Nice game! Short, yet tense! Some notes:

- loved the cultists ganing up! 9 is crazy :D

- out of curiosity: did you remember every time you fail an Horror check in Arkham to deal that investigator also the combat damage of the monster, right? It seems like you didn't have an infernal time sweeping streats around. Plus, monsters now can potentially trigger a lot of devourings.

- don't worry too much for the 2 rolled: Agnes' devouring means +3 doom and +6 terror, which basically is game over anyway (I know it's bad, but it was designed so that players would avoid exploiting the "let's kill Agnes immediately before doom 4 so that cultists are not a problem")

- indeed, the AO is great. Still, could be somehow frustrating, but having Norman is rather a huge plus. If you're quick enough, you can use his Find Gate a lot and save you from many rounds of delay

- loved the starting whiskey cabaret :D

Hope you had a great time trying! Next time you'll pass it!

Thanks Julia :-)

- out of curiosity: did you remember every time you fail an Horror check in Arkham to deal that investigator also the combat damage of the monster, right? It seems like you didn't have an infernal time sweeping streats around. Plus, monsters now can potentially trigger a lot of devourings.

Yes. It was mostly Gloria with a Tommy gun doing the dirty fighting in Arkham . Her will was pretty high nearly all time, at 3 or 4. As far as I remember she only failed against the Wraith. Apart from the moonbeast and wraith, she encountered mostly easy monsters like Tcho-tcho priest, zombies, Byakhees....I got also lucky after closing gates some tough monsters went back to the cup. But Norman should have been devoured by a Dark Young after sealing the gate at Devil's Reef. Anyway it is good that I retry.

I think I am going to replace Leo for Sister Mary. I have just realized that she can pass a gate trophy to the next scenario. That is a free blessing. I know she'll be back sooner or later, so why not play with her now and try to get something good to pass over next scenario.

Anyway I had fun trying and I am looking forward to play it again soon.

Yeah, you know, there's certainly something about Mary. Indeed, the gate trophy to be carried over is awesome. Not only for the free blessing, but also because you can actually kill the odds of drawing the wrong gate (I played the league with Lurker gates in, so, you know, that darn -4 double gate... :D )

Right, the tommy gun. Indeed, you can lower Fight with a tommy gun. Gloria's amazing in this scenario, especially as OW travellers, considering the effects of the AO.

Good luck with the next try!

I think I am going to replace Leo for Sister Mary. I have just realized that she can pass a gate trophy to the next scenario. That is a free blessing. I know she'll be back sooner or later , so why not play with her now and try to get something good to pass over next scenario.

::Laughter::

It's funny I got an FFG notification today, I was just thinking about how the Lurker at the Threshold's probably responsible for distributing credit cards earlier this morning.

Anyway, better luck (and fight, and will) next time. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.

Scenario 17 rematch. Agnes, Ursula, Norman, Gloria & Sister Mary against Nka'ji Ara

Starting items:

Sister Mary: Cross, Holy water, Intervene, Vision Quest & Skill: +1 will.

Agnes: Wither, Magnifying Glass, Cabala of Saboth, Summon shantak & Skill: Marskman

Ursula: Patrolling streets task, Food, Holy water, Silver Key & Skill:Disguise

Norman: Find Gate, motorcycle, Crystal Elder things, Implant suggestion & Skill: bravery

Gloria: Bullwhip, axe, dead curse azathoth, Call friend & Skill : Grapple

Nobody starts with a madness this time. The first mythos opens a gate at the Black cave to Another Time. The first cultist pops up. An always useful “Nightgaunt” and a Lloigor appear blocking merchant disctrict streets and southside streets respectively.

1 st Turn: Let’s start collecting clues. Sister mary evades the Lloigor and casts her vision spell in order to get all the clues at French Hill neighbourghood. Agnes reads her tome and gets an extra skill and collects 2 clues at Hibb’s thanks to her magnifying glass. Norman & Gloria get clues at Science building and graveyard respectively. Finally Ursula who started at Independence Sq. meets the nightgaunt at merchant streets and fails the combat check (no injury though) getting drawn through the gate at the Black Cave. . Mythos: Monster surge at Black Cave… releasing 5 monsters.

2 nd Turn: Continuing collecting clues. After moving all investigators , all of them but Sister Mary have 5 or more clues, It is Sister Mary the one who gets drawn through a gate after collecting her clue at Unvisited Isle. Agnes buys an enchanted knife at the curiosity shop and Norman finds an rusty axe in the woods. Meanwhile in Other worlds Sister mary looses some stamina/sanity but Ursula remain unscathed and will return to Arkham next turn. Mythos: A cultist appear at STL, 2 on the board (for now) . Gate at the Graveyard, a deep one goes to the outskirst since there are already 8 non-cultist monsters on the board. The mythos card is a rumor: The great ritual ….buff. Cultist have now two extra toughness bringing them to 4… Well, I have a spellcasters team. I think the rumor will somehow help me.

3 rd Turn: Some team work ahead. Norman moves to the Merchant district streets. Gloria moves to the gate at the graveyard . On her way there she drops two spells and some money to Norman , while taking find gate from him. Finally Agnes move south from the curiosity shop , takes the 3 spells Norman had and ends her movement at French Hill streets where She discards 4 spells. She keeps Sumon Shantak (she will need it next turn) and the rumor is passed. Everybody gains 2 clues..Yay!. Meanwhile Ursula seals the gate at the Black Cave. On other worlds Sister Mary ends delayed on the first Area and Gloria chooses a good encounter. Mythos: Gate at Hibb’s bringing the doom track to four. 2 cultist + the cultist at STL join Agnes in the French Hill streets.

4 th Turn: Agnes summons Shantak and evades all cultists and enters the gate at Hibb’s. Norman with 5 dollars moves to Magick Shop where he buys an attack spell (spectral razor). Ursula uses her Silver Key 3 times and her disguise skill in order to evade all the monsters in the Black Cave and moves to Independence sq to collect a clue there. In other worlds Agnes gets some money from some conical creatures, Sister mary finally has a good encounter and fortune smiles on Gloria , so no problem there. Mythos: Another cultist at STL. Gate at the woods and witch going to the outskirts. Clue for Ursula at Independence Sq. Since two more monsters are released on the streets the terror level increases for first time after reseting the outskirts.

5 th Turn: Gloria comes back from OW. (Btw now I realize I completely forgot she had “find gate” spell from Norman.) and seals the gate at the Graveyard. Ursula goes to the Science building where she exchanges her gate trophy for 2 clues bringing her to 6 clues. In OW Sister Mary is down to 1 stamina , Norman loses two sanity and Agnes gains one sanity. No big deal. Mythos: The cultist congregation continues to grow on the STL and due to their chanting they manage to open a gate to Plateau of Leng there. Who dares go there with 6 cultist guarding the gate?. Clue for Gloria at the graveyard.

6 th Turn: Both Sister Mary and Agnes return to Arkham and seal their gates. Ursula goes to the train station hoping to find Bill Washington, but she finds a stranger instead giving her a useless spell. Gloria decides to go to the Science building and exchanges her Gate trophy for 2 clues bringing her to 6. Finally Norman finds a strange pool in the Abyss. He looks into it and sees Sister Mary who is drawn into the Abyss. Mythos: Another cultist at STL. Gate to the Abyss at Independence Square. 7 doomers.

7 th Turn: With only 2 gates open in Arkham and both to the Abyss and 2 seals away from victory, let’s send then Gloria & Ursula to the Abyss through the gate at the Woods (without monsters). Just in time before Norman comes back and seals the gate at the Woods. Agnes summons Shantak and moves undetected southwards . No major problems in the Abyss- Mythos: Gate at the Witch House bringing doom track to 8. Two more cultists at Agnes location.

8 th Turn: This time I remember to cast find gate with Gloria who returns to Arkham and seals the last gate.Victory !

Doom track : 8

Terror track : 2

Madness/Injuries: 0

Cultist on board 9

It was a really unusual sneaky short game :ph34r: . I fought "zero" monsters. Combining the evasion items I had with the early monster surge that send any new monster to the Outskirts, it made the paths to the gates accessible. You add some extra free clues from the passed rumor and an easy victory was at hand. It was a great game though

I have some questions regarding Segment 4 rules. Up to 4 investigators may carry over one item to replace one of their random items of the same type.

"Find gate" spell started on Norman's hands but he gave it to Gloria. Can then Gloria carry over the spell to next scenario and this way I will have 2 find gate spells? Can an item which ends on an investigators' hands be carried over and passed to another investigator? I think not. But I am unsure.

I write down investigators items (not starting fixed items) at the end of the scenario:

Gloria : Find Gate, Axe, Bullwhip

Norman: Spectral Razor, Crystal of Elder things, Motorcyckle, Axe

Ursula: Holy water, a task, Food, telescope, Implant suggestion spell

Agnes: Summon shantak, enchanted knife

Sister Mary: Vision quest, Intervene.

If I got the rules right, then Gloria will carry over Find Gate, Norman the motorcykle (I hate slow investigators :) ), Agnes Summon Shantak and Sister Mary the gate trophy to Another dimension. Ursula has nothing worthed carrying over to the next scenario.

Edited by eagermind

Neat! Man, sealing in 8, that's impressive! Totally a sweeter victory this time (almost to be happy you didn't have success on the first try)!

A suggeston: no need to fail the Combat Check against a Nightgaunt. Try to Evade it with not enough dice: in this way you get the free ride without losing Sanity due to Horror.

As for your question: I don't see any problems with Gloria carrying over the Find Gate and starting with two of them the next game.

Yep. One of Norman's uses is that you can get a find gate into your item pool easily :')

Edited by Avi_dreader

It is time for Scenario 18 on Hard difficulty

Sister Mary, Gloria, Ursula, Norman and Agnes against Yog-Sothoth, Kerathimel and a lively Dunwich Horror.

Starting items:

Sister Mary: Cross, Holy water, Flesh ward, Shrivelling , Camouflage (+1 sneak)

Agnes: Wither,Summon Shantak, Obsidian Statue, Map of Arkham& Dogde skill

Ursula:Press pass, Makeup kit, Alien device, Illuminated script& marksman skill.

Norman: Find Gate, Motorcykle & Fetch stick & Spot hidden skill

Gloria: Find Gate, Ancient tome, Steal life, Rifle & Expert occultist skill.

Yog- Sothoth starts with 2 doomers. The first gate opens at Independence square. That was where Ursula was starting, she is then pulled into the Abyss . Kerathimel tests her speed, but she manages to land on the Abyss without any sanity lose. Since the doom track reaches already 3, five monsters pop up on Dunwich unstable locations and the Dunwich Horror wakes up from his slumber at the Black Cave moving to Rivertown streets.

1 st Turn: Let’s start collecting clues. Agnes moves to the Unnamable in order to collect the two clues there, but she sprains her anckle by passing adjacent to Dunwich Horror. Meanwhile Gloria gets schizophrenic, robbed and drunk at Hibb’s but she gets the clue there. Norman collects clue at Historical society whe he finds the remains of a dead Dark Young. Finally sister Mary collects the clue at science building. Mythos: Gate at the graveyard releasing a byahkee who flies to the sky. Some monsters appear on the board and the Dunwich Horrror moves to the French hill streets.

2 nd Turn: Ursula loses 2 sanity & 2 stamina for being in the abyss. Gloria gets the two clues at Black cave and passes her PS, while Norman takes the clue at the Woods and joins “one of thousand” after discarding the Dark Young trophy. Sister Mary fights a mi-go roaming the streets and gets a tome as a reward. Finally Agnes gets through the gate to Lost carcosa in the graveyard. In Other worlds things are quiet enough for once. Mythos: “Endlessly breeding” rumor adding two doomers and lots of monster movements. The dunwich doom track moves to 1 and the Dunwich horror and a byahkee ambush Sister Mary at Miskatonic streets.

3 rd Turn: During upkeep Ursula loses 2 stamina & 2 sanity bringing her close to death. At the same time Agnes loses 2 sanity due to Kerathimel twisting gateways. Sister mary kills first the Byahkee but cannot deal with the Dunwich horror and ends up at the Asylum. Norman collects clue at the Witch House and gets a spell and an injury from being too close to the Dunwich Horror. Ursula comes back to Arkham and seals the gate at Independence square. Mythos: Gate burst at Independence square sending Ursula back to OW. This time she ends up in another time. At least some monsters at Backwoods county are returned to the cup.

4 th Turn: During the upkeep Ursula doesn’t pass the fight test, then she gets knocked unconscious and she is LiTaS, where she meets Yog-Sothoth and gets devoured. Gloria jumps through the gate where Ursula was, and manages to get directly to the second area of Another time, where she loses one sanity and gains one clue. Norman gets the clue at STL where he is greeted by Carl Sanford. He is rewarded with 3 extra clues. Finally Sister Mary remains at the Asylum where she reads Cultes des Goules gaining a spell&clue. Mythos: Gate at Wizard’s Hill. Another monster gets through a vortex. Leo replaces Ursula. He starts with 2 tomes , William Brinton and a +1 fight skill.

5 th Turn: Leo, Agnes & Norman meet at the Docks and this way they spent 10$ to pass the rumor before a 3rd investigator gets unconscious or insane. They also exchange some items and some monster trophies are dealt among the investigators for resolving the rumor. Now the board is clean of monster (without counting the Dunwich Horror). Gloria seals (hopefully for good) the gate at Independence Sq. Finally Sister Mary collects clue at Unvisited Isle. Mythos: Gate at the Science building. The Dunwich Horror is activated . This way 2 more doomers are added . Doom track is at 9.

6 th Turn: Sister Mary gets the Clue at the Unamable. The Dunwich horror at Downtown streets is blocking Gloria, then she stays at Independence Sq, but Agnes is noticed on her way to the train station and she needs to stop her move at Northside streets. Leo manages though to take the train to Dunwich and Norman gets through the gate at the Science building to the Abyss. Mythos: A gate opens at the Unamable sending Sister Mary to R’lyeh. Doom track at 10. Only 2 seals on the board. Time is running out…I have a long shot, but I have to be lucky with mythos cards.

7 th Turn: Gloria kills the cultist guarding the gate at Rlyeh to back up Sister Mary and Leo who enters R'lyeh from the gate at Dunwich. She gives the Rifle to Leo. Meanwhile Norman after losing some sanity/stamina returns to Arkham from the Abyss and seals the gate at the Science building. Finally Agnes uses summon shantak to evade the dunwich horror and joins the party at R’lyeh. 4 investigators at R’lyeh . Sister Mary and Agnes get bad encounters getting delayed, but Leo and Gloria get good encounters. Mythos is a gate bounced at Independence square…The Dunwich horror activates again bringing the doom track to 11.

8 th Turn: During upkeep Leo and Sister Mary lose some stamina from Kerathimel attack. Sister Mary ends up at the Hospital. Gloria manages to cast find gate and closes the gate at Wizard’s Hill using her last clues. Norman goes to South Church and blesses Leo. Leo moves to the second area of R’lyeh and Agnes continue in the first area. Mythos is a monster surge at the Unnamable. 5 monsters pile up there.

9 th Turn: A blessed Leo with 6 clues has to close the last gate. But first He needs to beat an unmodified Dunwich Horror. He uses the rifle. He has only 7 dice and needs 5 successes. He spends 3 clues that gives him 6 extra dice due to his +1 fight skill. Then closes the last gate to R´’lyeh with his last 2 clues.

Victory by closing gates (2 from Gloria, 1 from Leo, 1 from Agnes & 1 from Sister mary carry over from last scenario).

Terror track : 2

Doom track: 11.

Buff… That was close. It was nice to have the Dunwich Horror patrolling the streets though, and Kerathimel adding a lot of randomness on the gates made the game more fun. Anyway by starting doom track at 3 after the first mythos + Dunwich horror movement , made the game a race against the clock, but at the same time made my victory sweeter :-).

Edited by eagermind

Holy cow, up to Mythos 5 I was thinking it'd have ended in a disaster. Congrats! Plus, winning by closing such a scenario is proof of real class :)

And 4 dudes hanging out to picnic in R'lyeh is something worth remembering :)

Happy you passed it! Six more and you're done with the League, being the second living person who ever made up through all the scenarios :)

Happy you passed it! Six more and you're done with the League, being the second living person who ever made up through all the scenarios :)

Ye Ancient Ones! One day I'll accept that challenge as well. One day when I feel particularly Innsmouth.

Ye Ancient Ones! One day I'll accept that challenge as well. One day when I feel particularly Innsmouth.

Sure! No rush with these, the League will always be running, or at least as long as I'm on this mortal Earth.

Sure! No rush with these, the League will always be running, or at least as long as I'm on this mortal Earth.

Don't be an underachiever. Make a lich pact. Run the League from beyond the grave!

Buff… That was close. It was nice to have the Dunwich Horror patrolling the streets though, and Kerathimel adding a lot of randomness on the gates made the game more fun. Anyway by starting doom track at 3 after the first mythos + Dunwich horror movement , made the game a race against the clock, but at the same time made my victory sweeter :-).

:'D Glad you enjoyed the mobile DH.

Don't be an underachiever. Make a lich pact. Run the League from beyond the grave!

You know, if there were anything I can do to survive death and keep on haunting these halls, I'd do whatever I can to achieve it.

Uhm, wait, you're still haunting these halls, aren't you??? I think you should explain me a couple of tricks :D

This so totally sounds like an app for a phone...

This so totally sounds like an app for a phone...

It orders you food that tastes like human.

You know, if there were anything I can do to survive death and keep on haunting these halls, I'd do whatever I can to achieve it.

Uhm, wait, you're still haunting these halls, aren't you??? I think you should explain me a couple of tricks :D

First I made a pact with the Lurker at the Threshold. Then I clicked the follow this topic button.