The X-Wing and other Rebel Fighters

By Dulahan, in Game Mechanics

It should be added that the "quad laser cannon" in the EotE rulebook is more in line with the Millenium Falcon 's turrets than the X-wing's wingtip-mounted cannons, hence the game rules difference.

The Quad Laser Cannon also provides Accuracy 1 and requires a Silhouette 4+ for mounting. It's better - and cheaper - than mounting four linked light laser cannons.

It should be added that the "quad laser cannon" in the EotE rulebook is more in line with the Millenium Falcon 's turrets than the X-wing's wingtip-mounted cannons, hence the game rules difference.

The Quad Laser Cannon also provides Accuracy 1 and requires a Silhouette 4+ for mounting. It's better - and cheaper - than mounting four linked light laser cannons.

True, but they work as a single turret. You'd have to redesign the X-Wings profile to use it.

Hence why the X-wing is just deemed to have wingtip laser cannons and Linked 3 to represent the three after the first, since the quad laser cannon in the game rules represents a specific weapon which is not what the X-wing has.

The more I look at it. Make the Y-wing in the aor book rebel centric (unique from eote). Give it armor 4 to show the continued mods the rebels put on the ship.

yeah, just to chime in with my two cents; 5 armor is too high for the X-wing. I wonder if part of it is from video games which typically put the player in an X-Wing. I know just from the films by themselves that X-Wings are not all that much more durable than TIE Fighters. I would drop that armor rating to 3. It's really only as tough as a Y-Wing and if you're using WW2 analogues here, then especially you don't want the X-Wing to be harder to put down than a Y-Wing which is a bomber.

On the one hand, Imperials are glory hounds, far more interested in smart uniforms and medals than doing unglamorous things strike missions.

On the other hand, Imperials are cowards, and will know that if they engage a squadron of X-Wings they probably won't be going home. For that matter, they would like a bit more of an advantage in numbers if they are going to attack any sort of organised force.

Probably their best bet is to fake a sensor malfunction, pretend they didn't see anything and try to find an unarmed civilian freighter to shake down. They can execute some techs for poor sensor maintenance when they get back to avoid taking the blame.

I'll take "Things that have no basis in the source fiction" for 500, Alex.

I ge the same impressions as Erik, but mostly from EU sources.

"Yub Yub commander"

I recently read through the X-Wing novel series in preparation for this system and all thing considered when reading them aside from maybe a Tie-Defender, the X-Wing is one of the most durable star-fighters. Heck Rogue Squadron members even mention that if the Empire could field Tie-Defenders in greater numbers the Rebellion would of lost. However considering some of the other fluff and especially about the Tie-Defender I'd say setting the X-wing's armour at 3 would fit the bill. The one thing that I truly think is off is that this is supposed to be the cheap easy multi-tool of the rebellion not the omg super fighter that is on par with a Tie-Defender and in many ways better for almost a third of the cost. Seriously only 120,000 credits for a fighter with those stats? Heck Rogue Squadron members even mention that if the Empire could of fielded more Tie-Defenders the Rebellion would of lost. Yes the X-wing is supposed to be some sort of breakthrough as far as fighters go but that was by being slightly above average in most things compared to with a few nice additions not by having every stat with the exception of handling in god mode even it's lasers aren't supposed to be that much of a threat unless you're in another starfighter which is why Imperial commanders thought so little of them which is also stated in the books.

However what really made an X-wing deadly to fighters was the variant firing modes of it's canons. The base damage should be 4 or 5 with crit 3 and either link 3 or link 2 with a drop in the difficulty when not slaving them (the reason given that the shots,unless slaved together were slightly off from each other making it harder to avoid), when slaving for the canons altering fire 2 at a time they should be damage 6 with link 1 crit 2, and for slaving all together dropping the link ability all together but either increasing the base damage or dropping the crit to 1. Mind you this is based off of the explanation of how an X-wings lasers work in the novels when either Corran or Wedge switch firing styles. If you want to figure out which reread all the novels I don't feel like doing that just to find the exact novels and pages again.

But as for straight mechanics ignoring all fluff it's stats simply do not equate to that cheap a price. I would really like to see their equation for determining the cost of a vehicle.

Edited by Gearlocke

The one thing that I truly think is off is that this is supposed to be the cheap easy multi-tool of the rebellion not the omg super fighter that is on par with a Tie-Defender

I think that's where the fundamental conflict of opinion in this thread comes down to, divided player ideas as to what each starship is "supposed" to be... but you might as well throw your feedback FFG's way.

Edited by Chortles

Who on gods green earth wants to pretend to fly a cheap easy multi-tool when you could be pretending to fly an omg super fighter?

Who on gods green earth wants to pretend to fly a cheap easy multi-tool when you could be pretending to fly an omg super fighter?

On the side of balance for the rules (which is what we're technically supposed to be discussing in these forums) outside of fluff it's still under priced for what it does.

On the side of balance for the rules (which is what we're technically supposed to be discussing in these forums) outside of fluff it's still under priced for what it does.

Yeah, you can forget about "game balance" (and rules, or even acting in good faith, really) when ErikB's involved in a thread.

Edited by Chortles

The cost is how many credits it takes to buy one, not a points value for balance purposes.

I am sure you will have noticed in your every day life that there is not a direct correlation between how much you pay for something and what it is worth to you.

Who wants one craft to be so superior to every other that there isn't a reason to be in anything else?

Who wants one craft to be so superior to every other that there isn't a reason to be in anything else?

Everyone.

All that changes is which ship you want it to be. And since I think most peoples favourite ship will be the X-Wing, making it the bestest one will please the most people.

Everyone.

All that changes is which ship you want it to be. And since I think most peoples favourite ship will be the X-Wing, making it the bestest one will please the most people.

bull. I want a variety of ships that create CHOICE for the player. I don't want one uber-starfighter and then a bunch of stuff no one will ever want to fly. And one person sure invalidates "everyone" and I can bet that most people would agree with me rather than agree with you.

The Y-Wing I don't mind lagging a little behind, but the A-Wing, X-Wing, and B-Wing should be similar in effectiveness, just balanced towards different roles.

Edited by Emperor Norton

Shrug. No matter how hard you try one of the ships is gonna end up better than the rest, so you may as well make sure it is the one the largest number of people want to fly.

I said that you could forget about ErikB acting in good faith... Then again I'm left reminded of ErikB and Space Marines... ;)

Although, Emperor Norton, I believe that the belief in balance IS where the fundamental disconnect with Donovan Morningfire lies as well... the oddity in what Gearlocke describes is that canonically, the "omg super fighter" is none other than... the Missile Boat. :lol:

Edited by Chortles

I said that you could forget about ErikB acting in good faith...

I don't think I can state my position any more plainly.

And you still won't own up to being an Empire fanboy (despite just fanboying over the missile boat there).

I would suggest that in this case acting in good faith would be to admit that you couldn't give a stuff about flying X-Wings but would instead rather fly awesomely broken TIE Defenders and Missile Boats.

Edited by ErikB

If the X-wing is going to be 'everyone's' favorite ship and everyone is going to pick it, that's all the more reason to not bother giving it more than average baseline stats.

Doesn't matter how good it really is if it's already good in their minds. They'll pick it anyway.

Otherwise you may as well remove every other ship from the game if it's reasonable to assume the majority of players are going to have such an extreme unfaltering preference.

Doesn't matter how good it really is if it's already good in their minds. They'll pick it anyway.

Then you have to pick between flying your favourite ship and the best ship, which isn't fun for anyone.

Agreed with most posters, the X-Wing shouldn't be so obviously better than all other starships that you'd never want to fly anything else. I think going down to armor 3 or 4 would accomplish this pretty well.

Also, I'm fine with the X-Wing being the default choice that is a little more powerful than most ships, but I shouldn't feel like an idiot for wanting to fly something else.

Edited by Glororhan

Agreed with most posters, the X-Wing shouldn't be so obviously better than all other starships that you'd never want to fly anything else. I think going down to armor 3 or 4 would accomplish this pretty well.

Also, I'm fine with the X-Wing being the default choice that is a little more powerful than most ships, but I shouldn't feel like an idiot for wanting to fly something else.

Submit your feedback to FFG if you feel this way!

I would suggest that in this case acting in good faith would be to admit that you couldn't give a stuff about flying X-Wings but would instead rather fly awesomely broken TIE Defenders and Missile Boats.

OMG, yes. I'll paint firebirds on the side, if that's what it takes.

OMG, yes. I'll paint firebirds on the side, if that's what it takes.

Dude, you just gave yourself an AoR plot hook... if the TIE Defenders are so awesomely broken, then steal them and turn said TIE Defenders against the Empire! :lol: (Canon already has Grand Admiral Zaarin doing just that.)

I would suggest that people who are not Empire fanboys would prefer to develop an upgrade for their X-Wings to counter the TIE Defender threat.