Trying to find out for us who dont have it...

By Drathen, in General Discussion

What is a shame is FFG charging us twice for the same content just so you can help them beta test it. I love this system, its been a breath of fresh air in my RPG life that I have fallen in love with. That doesn't mean I like paying 30 now and then another 40 to 60 later down the line. Personally if you buy the Beta book you should get a discount on the full retail but that’s just my two cents because I actually DO want to test the new content with my gaming group currently.

Well, if you don't like the way FFG is doing their beta testing, there's an easy solution - don't buy the Beta book, and wait for the final product to come out. That's what I'm doing.

Heck just strip out the formatting and whatever little art the beta book might have in it and just printed it on a paper in black and white text, they could do it for cheaper to get the rules out to us for play testing.

You're assuming that FFG is just doing this for testing purposes, and I don't think this is the case. I think part of the reason they're doing it is to generate buzz so the final books sell better. In that case, it only makes sense to sell a full-colour, good-looking "Beta" book so that people who might not have been interested before are drawn in by a great-looking product. Personally, I wouldn't be very impressed with a b&w, text-formatted game book beta; that makes it look like something I could put together in my basement (yes, I know there's more to it than that) and that doesn't make me want to shell out my hard-earned money.

I just kind of wish they would put it out on PDF for I don’t know… free to test or just a cheaper than 30 bones copy. And before people jump down my throat, yes I know about the fact they can’t put PDF's out for some legal reason and I realize if they just gave the whole thing away for free less people would buy the finished book. I am however not one of those people. I might of read edge of the empire via the help of a friend but the moment the book came out for real with all that lovely art and this fantastic system my wallet was out and I was in line at the bookstore chomping at the bit every time it was delayed to lay my money down.

Same can be said for this book, I hope a friend will help me out in reading the beta again because I want the real book but I also want to offer feedback this time around as I have a full game running at my table with the edge of the empire system. I am just not made of money and thus want my full lovely book with all that wonderful art when it’s finally done. But alas I may actually shell the money out for my love of this system is great.

I hope one of your IRL friends buys the book then, so you can read it. It'd be bad if you had to break the law just to get the book without paying for it.

I think no one really wants to break any law, provided there are enough books for everyone who wants to participate to get a chance at participating and, of course, paying for it =) I believe the vast majority of the people here would only look for these 'friends' if there are too few books they did not get a chance at participating

I thought they were only selling it in their online store, and not bothering with retailers this time?

Is this confirmed anywhere?

Absolutely nowhere, it is based entirely on my own, probably erroneous assumption.

All three of the books in this system already have my money when they come out. Just like I’ve already bought an extra set of the game dice to go with the starting game box and the GM screen with the full version of edge of the empire I have sitting next to my desk right now as I type this post. So I have no real intention of breaking any laws.

What is a shame is FFG charging us twice for the same content just so you can help them beta test it. I love this system, its been a breath of fresh air in my RPG life that I have fallen in love with. That doesn't mean I like paying 30 now and then another 40 to 60 later down the line. Personally if you buy the Beta book you should get a discount on the full retail but that’s just my two cents because I actually DO want to test the new content with my gaming group currently.

And yes I do realize the price they are charging is probably covering mostly the publishing and paper / ink cost of the book but I am fairly confident in thinking that they could charge less than 30.

Heck just strip out the formatting and whatever little art the beta book might have in it and just printed it on a paper in black and white text, they could do it for cheaper to get the rules out to us for play testing.

No offense, but please dont hyjack my thread with stuff like this. If you do not like the way they are handling it, then dont buy it. You very well could have made your own thread to dicuss this issue. I made this just to let the others know whats going on with the online store by emailing FFG. This is not a thread for complaining about buying a beta book. Noone is making you buy it! I will pay for it like I did with EotE. I have no issues with buying books that helps the growth of a companies product that I love.

If you need to speak your mind about how they address something, make your own thread...

Reading he book "with help from a friend" could be as simple as borrowing that friend's legally purchased copy.

I hope we get the chance to buy the Beta soon.

As for extending the comment window into November, does that also push back the release date of the final version?

I'd just be happy with a release date. That's it. Just a day, month, and year.

The funny thing is, we would have been perfectly happy if it wasn't released at Gencon and know that it is completed. It is a poor management of expectations on the part of FFG which is stressing everyone out.

The funny thing is, we would have been perfectly happy if it wasn't released at Gencon and know that it is completed. It is a poor management of expectations on the part of FFG which is stressing everyone out.

This is also very true. I said that in another post that it is unfair to the fans, but come on, throw us a bone. Just give us a day we can buy it so I can stop clicking refresh fully knowing it's not going to be available an hour after I already checked.

Reading he book "with help from a friend" could be as simple as borrowing that friend's legally purchased copy.

I hope we get the chance to buy the Beta soon.

As for extending the comment window into November, does that also push back the release date of the final version?

Probably not. I'm thinking part of the reason that the EotE core rulebook was pushed back from early May to early July was due to some mechanical elements discovered during the alpha-testing of AoR that needed to be applied to the entire system, and the EotE beta test period ran to the first week of December.

Of course, there's no word on when the final version will be released, but I'm thinking May would be as good a target month as any, particular as it will give a bit more lead time between this core rulebook and the next Beta rulebook rather than the month+ there was between EotE core and AoR Beta.

one possible reason for the delay is that they only got a limited amout of the books in time for Gencon and the rest is still on a boat from china :(

Those darn slow boats....

one possible reason for the delay is that they only got a limited amout of the books in time for Gencon and the rest is still on a boat from china :(

Then they should have waited, but that's just me. I know that money talks, so ::shrugs::

That doesn't mean I like paying 30 now and then another 40 to 60 later down the line..

So, dont buy it. Problem sorted! Next?

That doesn't mean I like paying 30 now and then another 40 to 60 later down the line..

There's always the option of pooling funds with a group. This is only a "temporary" book, so every group member doesn't need a copy. I threw 10 bucks to the guy in our group who is buying it, figuring I'd benefit almost as much as he...assuming it's ever released :) .

There's always the option of pooling funds with a group. This is only a "temporary" book, so every group member doesn't need a copy. I threw 10 bucks to the guy in our group who is buying it, figuring I'd benefit almost as much as he...assuming it's ever released :) .

This was the plan me and one of my players are doing. We're going halfsies on the beta so we have some material to draw from for our usual game, and he can start looking forward to FS:Em.

And I still want to run the adventure included in the book as a strict AoR only game so I can contribute to the beta.