Where's mah updates?

By MyNeighbourTrololo, in General Discussion

It's been more than a week since initial announce and still no news... :angry:

Was there any other game that got such frequent updates? :)

Uhm... plenty?

Really? Normally you need to wait quite a while after the initial announcement...

I was thinking we won't be hearing anything until after GenCon, at the very least .

I checked a few titles and most of them had their first update after announcement shorter than time passed from EH announcement by now.

I checked a few titles and most of them had their first update after announcement shorter than time passed from EH announcement by now.

Like which ones?

I visit the FFG site every day, and in my experience, most board game announcements come at 1-2 week intervals.

Like many ones. In any case, already 3 weeks passed from the initial announcement and NOT.A.SINGLE.NEW.THING.

You can see a pretty extensive demo video from gencon at boardgame geeks under the video section for eldritch horror if you are really jonesing for general gameplay mechanics.

If you're looking for actual thematic text on the cards, you will probably just have to wait.

But from what I see from the demo, it looks pretty interesting and quite different from AH. Seems like you are more reliant on your other players for skills/skillchecks/shopping and abilities. Many characters have abiliites that apply to other players only.

For example, Jacquline Fine's ability allows her to give her clues psychically to one other player (I think once per turn).

And Charlie Kane can use his influence while shopping to outfit the rest of the group.

Anyway, it looks pretty good mechanic wise, I just hope it feels as epic as Arkham. There's something about how incredibly overwhelming and daunting all the "fiddly-bits" are that make the game more thematic; it forces you to play cautiously and dwell on your choices, as there are so many small rules etc to remember (especially with expansion mechanics).

Either way, it looks fun. Like I said, I hope thematically it works just as well.

One thing I really like: If a character dies, his body remains on the board and if you want his items, you can visit him/her to witness their death via flavor text. I think there is even different text based on whether he/she dies via sanity loss or health as you will visit them in either a madhouse or a hospital as they pass beyond usfuness and succumb to the horrors.

Edited by Soakman

Like many ones. In any case, already 3 weeks passed from the initial announcement and NOT.A.SINGLE.NEW.THING.

The dates between announcement and the first preview vary greatly. It took 2 weeks for Elder Sign to get the first preview up after the announcement, but it took almost 2 months between announcement of the Unseen Forces expansion and the first preview. Since this game isn't supposed to be out until December, I would expect the next update to go up in October, with 3 or 4 more previews once every 1 or 2 weeks after that, and the rules posted at least a couple weeks before the street date, by the patterns that I've noticed.

Edited by xfoley8