Force-Sensitive Emergent

By Stacie_GmrGrl, in Game Mechanics

The powers in EotE were never restricted to the FSEx spec. Powers only have the prerequisite of FR 1. If you have access to both EotE and AoR then you can have a FSEx with the Enhance power or Forsee. Once all three books are out a player, if given access to all of them, can choose whatever powers he so wishes, paying the XP of course. The designers have already shown forward thinking in other areas of the game, so I'm pretty sure if they were going to put restrictions like that (FSEx/FSEm can only choose powers from their book) on Force specs then they already would have. The powers are to be open and choosable by anyone that meet the prerequisites.

Based on the information we have, anyone with a Force rating of1 or higher has access to any of the Force powers, regardless of how they achieved that Force rating. Spec is not a factor.

However, until we get the full version of AoR, we can't be sure. As has been mentioned, the designers seem to be demonstrating forward-compatibility-related thinking, but until we get official confirmation on how the products interact, we can't be sure. The folks who've already gotten the Beta have indicated that there doesn't seem to be commentary on this topic in the Beta.

Now, assuming there's no official statement, it sort of comes down to how you interpret the rules. Would you allow a character in an AoR campaign to select an EotE career, for example? If so, then flexibility across the boards would seem to be implied.

Now, assuming there's no official statement, it sort of comes down to how you interpret the rules. Would you allow a character in an AoR campaign to select an EotE career, for example? If so, then flexibility across the boards would seem to be implied.

Of course I would allow that. It is the intention that these books should all work individually and together, depending on your needs. Seems kind of silly to then limit characters to just the careers/specs/powers of one book, unless you want to do such a thing.

Based on the information we have, anyone with a Force rating of1 or higher has access to any of the Force powers, regardless of how they achieved that Force rating. Spec is not a factor.

However, until we get the full version of AoR, we can't be sure. As has been mentioned, the designers seem to be demonstrating forward-compatibility-related thinking, but until we get official confirmation on how the products interact, we can't be sure. The folks who've already gotten the Beta have indicated that there doesn't seem to be commentary on this topic in the Beta.

Until there is an errata saying otherwise, I assume that "Prereq: Force Rating 1+" means just that. If it's limited to certain specs, that will be listed in the prereq line. Force users can use Force powers, regardless of what book that power comes from.

That being said, if the GM disallows AoR stuff in their Edge game, than that's a different story entirely! The GM is placing their own restrictions, not FFG.

As it stands, though, the only requirement for any Force power is a FR of 1 or higher.

-EF

I would think that the powers are tied to the Specializations. My thinking is that if the powers were freely shareable then why would they reprint just the Move power? I would expect them to either repeat all of the powers or none of the powers. I could be wrong though.

I would think that the powers are tied to the Specializations. My thinking is that if the powers were freely shareable then why would they reprint just the Move power? I would expect them to either repeat all of the powers or none of the powers. I could be wrong though.

Because each of these first two books just has a slice of the force.

I agree with the "Force Rating of 1+" prereq being straightforward and the way it is meant to be.

The powers presented in each book are what the designers think are representative of Force powers for that book. Each book is designed to be used on its own first and then in conjunction with one or both others. So there will be some overlap in each book. I expect that all five powers (Move, Sense, Influence, Forsee and Enhance) will all show up in F&D. Once that book releases character will have more options for Force powers. Or maybe a GM will want to just stick to those powers available in one book. But that is a decision they will have to make.

My thinking is that if the powers were freely shareable then why would they reprint just the Move power? I would expect them to either repeat all of the powers or none of the powers.

It could be just that the Beta doesn't include everything. Even if that were their intention, I think it would be a poor and arbitrary decision on FFG's part, a decision type that so far with this game, they haven't seemed inclined to make. And if that were their intention, I'd house rule it away in an instant :)

It seems that they're giving you what powers are seen in Empire Strikes Back for AoR, while the powers given in Edge are what we see in Star Wars (or A New Hope , depending on your age :P ).

Kenobi used Influence on the Stormtroopers in Mos Eisley. Luke used Sense against the remote onboard the Falcon , as well as when he blew up the Death Star. Really, Move didn't make an appearance that I can recall. Maybe it was just to give an Exile three powers to choose from, like there are three specs per career.

In Empire, Luke used Move to get his Lightsaber in the Wampa cave, and Vader used it a lot on Bespin. During his training, Luke learned to use Enhance from Yoda, and the use of Forsee is what caused him to leave Yoda to try and save Han and Leia.

With all of the other forward compatible design that's happened in Edge, if they wanted certain powers to be restricted to certain specs, they would be listed.

-EF

friends back from gen con so i have the book, will answer specific questions if i can.

T

The powers in EotE were never restricted to the FSEx spec. Powers only have the prerequisite of FR 1. If you have access to both EotE and AoR then you can have a FSEx with the Enhance power or Forsee. Once all three books are out a player, if given access to all of them, can choose whatever powers he so wishes, paying the XP of course. The designers have already shown forward thinking in other areas of the game, so I'm pretty sure if they were going to put restrictions like that (FSEx/FSEm can only choose powers from their book) on Force specs then they already would have. The powers are to be open and choosable by anyone that meet the prerequisites.

Because each book is stand-alone, despite being compatible. From what we've seen of the beta, there is no mention of EotE or how to combine the two. We've yet to know if that'll continue in the full book, but if it does, then it would be implied that one spec has access to one set of powers, and the other spec has access to another.

Because each book is stand-alone, despite being compatible. From what we've seen of the beta, there is no mention of EotE or how to combine the two. We've yet to know if that'll continue in the full book, but if it does, then it would be implied that one spec has access to one set of powers, and the other spec has access to another.

Do you think it is implied that a PC with a EotE career can't take specs from AoR?

Not really sure why anyone would believe that the various powers would be restricted to certain specs. There is not a single word in either book that even hints that the powers are specific to a spec, and if that were the case it would be mentioned in the AoR beta ( like FSE can't take powers from EoTE). All of the force power trees clearly state that the only prereq. is a force power of 1+

T

Which opens the question if we'll see force powers with prereq. Force Rating 2+

I for one believe that we'll see those more powerful force powers.

Somehow I suspect the cut off will be FR 3+ or 4+ instead, but what would they be?

my main question is on the force power itself. will FaD contain ways to raise your force power other then digging to the bottom of multiple spec trees.

T

The Force Rating Itself?

I actually doubt it, but I have been wrong plenty of times with this game. How would they balance it? So far they seem to be balancing high FR characters with the expenditure of XP through talent trees, but it is moderated with the idea that they gain some nifty stuff along the way. I just don't see them finding another balance that works as effectively. Maybe a large bulk XP cost of 50 or so?

Edge of the unknown was rumored to have extra talent trees that tacked on to the end of any spec in that career (explorer in this case) so maybe the force users would get something similar that allowed them to take more levels of force power for higher point costs. without seeing the book and knowing how those trees work ( or if it's even true) it's hard to say.

Seems there was a rumor of some form of combat or basic training tree in AoR for characters to pick up some fighting related stuff. having the book I can tell you it doesn't exist, so maybe the super trees from EotU are made up as well

T

Not really sure why anyone would believe that the various powers would be restricted to certain specs. There is not a single word in either book that even hints that the powers are specific to a spec, and if that were the case it would be mentioned in the AoR beta ( like FSE can't take powers from EoTE). All of the force power trees clearly state that the only prereq. is a force power of 1+

T

Except that AoR doesn't mention EotE in any way, including crossing over with specs, etc, so you can't really use the absence of any mention whatsoever as the rules allowing it, since it could equally mean the Exile can't take them, because it doesn't say you can.

Either way, I've sent an e-mail to FFG to ask about it.

Edge of the unknown was rumored to have extra talent trees that tacked on to the end of any spec in that career (explorer in this case) so maybe the force users would get something similar that allowed them to take more levels of force power for higher point costs. without seeing the book and knowing how those trees work ( or if it's even true) it's hard to say.

The Devs (on the Order 66 Podcast ep 14/15) mentioned swapping out a Talent for an Uber Talent, but not an entire tree.

my main question is on the force power itself. will FaD contain ways to raise your force power other then digging to the bottom of multiple spec trees.

T

I hope not. The current method allows a character to earn a higher rating through experience and training, just as it should be.

My concern is with the number of Force-sensitive careers/specs. I doubt we'll see 6 x 3 in F&D, but if so, that could lead to an insane Force rating!

Somehow I suspect the cut off will be FR 3+ or 4+ instead, but what would they be?

I'm kinda hoping we DON'T see more powerful trees.What we have so far is a pretty accurate depiction of all but the most extreme abilities in the movies (and even the animated series). We're missing specific abilities such as healing, Force lightning, and Force choke, and, of course, lightsaber mastery, but those don't necesssarily need to be on another power level.

Given how potent these Force powers can be with the proper investment, I don't think I want to see "Advanced Move" or "Superior Sense" or whatever...

That makes no sense whatsoever. It was stated from the beginning the games were to be 100% compatible. The force powers prereqs. in AoR don't say " force rating 1+ gained only thru FSE" it just says "force rating 1+"

If you go by your logic no character could ever buy into a spec tree that wasn't in the book their base career was in and no-one from EoTE could ever buy a spec from AoR or vice versa, and no-one from EoTE could buy into the FSE tree because it doesn't mention the book in it's description.

Nowhere in either book does it say that you can only buy specs from a specific book.

I'm kinda hoping we DON'T see more powerful trees.What we have so far is a pretty accurate depiction of all but the most extreme abilities in the movies (and even the animated series). We're missing specific abilities such as healing, Force lightning, and Force choke, and, of course, lightsaber mastery, but those don't necesssarily need to be on another power level.

Given how potent these Force powers can be with the proper investment, I don't think I want to see "Advanced Move" or "Superior Sense" or whatever...

I agree, with the trees as written you can do just about anything the characters in the movies can do with the same abilities. Force lightning, and the ability to block / absorb blaster shots (ala vader in bespin, not with a saber) will most likely come from a "energy control" tree later on

T

As a side note I just found this.

In a section called "the force in age of rebellion" there is a blurb about becoming force sensitive..an almost word for word copy of the same section on 275 EoTE with an additional paragraph stating that players with EoTE may use the force sensitive exile as there is room in the ranks of the rebellion for such characters. It doesnt say that spec cannot use the powers in AoR, and none of the powers themselves say Emergent only.

As far as i'm concerned that pretty much wraps up the question about powers and specs, but i leave it to you.

T