Interesting places in a city

By Chimpy, in Game Masters

I like to write my own adventures but sometimes it's hard to think of a fresh location for a scene, rather than overly-used, clichéd, cantinas, factories and spaceports

So here's a few ideas, feel free to add some more!

- Hospital or Medical Centre, perhaps there are patients around

- Rooftop (perhaps in a storm, or in the middle of a aerial battle)

- Biodome

- Ruins from a fallen civilisation (may be re-appropriated by someone else)

- Underground transport tubes

- Scientific research lab (possibilities for mutants, crazed droids, experimental weapons etc...)

- Busy market street

- Halls of Justice (maybe there is a protest going on outside)

- Brothel.....Just saying..... ;)

Does your biodome have a Pauly Shore droid in it?

Anyway here are some ideas to add to your list.

- Library (think Doctor Who)

- Underground Slave Trade Market

- High end clothing store (fun for the randomness considering the setting)

- Sporting arena/stadium

- Concert Hall (the Long Arm of the Hutt has me thinking my PCs will be attending a Gammorean opera soon :)

- Space resort/hotel (IE 5th Element)

- Natural wonder (IE Grand Canyon, Niagra, Amazon River/Jungle)

Google (Maps) Street View and Google Earth can be very interesting source of inspiration if you have writers block. Especially if you look up where some of the films were recorded, I believe Tatooine was filmed in Morocco.

Also just to throw some ideas to the list:

- Sewers (more of a fantasy trope but fun when used in sci-fi)

- Droid/Starship sales lot

- Offshore platform either for a military themed adventure or some natural resource.

- Cattle/Livestock market

- Quarry

- Hovertrain or some form of public transport

A few places I've used:

Bar/Tavern

Strip Club (avert your eyes to keep it PG-13)

Shopping Mall

Open Air Market

Office on the 100th floor of a High Rise

The Beach (even PC's like to vacation now and again)

Sewer

Warehouses

One of my favorite tactics to use to start an adventure is have the PCs begin the mission en route.

My players would want the scene described in precise graphic detail :P

- Art gallery

- Factory

- Desalination plant

- Elevated train/monorail

A few more:

- Fusion power plant

- Satellite uplink station

- Shield generator

- Weapons batteries

- Junkyard

- Pharmacy

- Royal Palace

- Prison Tower

- Starship Factory

- Church/monastary

- Hospital

- Mining Facility/Quarry

- A Submarine

-Gardens

-Historical site

-University/college/school

Schools are under utilized.

Corner store

Municipal offices

Musical instrument or other specialty shop.

Outdoor street market or festival

Alien cultural district. Chinatown or Little Italy equivalent

Botanical park

Zoo

Another idea: do a Google Image search for "Chittagong ship graveyard". Chittagong in Bangladesh is where many of the world's oil tankers wind up when they're decommissioned. Imagine the same location only with half-dismantled hulks of starships instead.

Great thread everybody. :D

-A mystics shop (seer/ fortune teller/etc)

-A circus

-A comedy/improv club

-A government building with protestors outside

-An old haunted house/mansion

-Rancor conservatory?

I am currently working on a Quick & Dirty Location article for my blog. I will post the link once it is complete.

if/when this comes up, don't forget to include the smell of desperation and the look of loneliness among the regulars.

Edited by messythekoala

if/when this comes up, don't forget to include the smell of desperation and the look of loneliness among the regulars.

In order to keep it more PG-13, I would combine strip club and brothel into a "Den of VIce or Iniquity"

Zoo

Barracks

Universities

stadiums

eateries

power generators ain't cliche it got used like 4 times :P

factories

banks

coruscanti parks(seeing as they're artificial)

Sounds like you need to frequent a higher-class joint. :P

Cliffside city

The entire city is built into a 20km tall cliff. Everything is cut out from rocks and the richest live the deepest. On the other side of the 10km wide chasm, the other side of the city. They don't like each other, as one receives all the sun while the other is always in shadow.

Impacted foundational ruins

What happens when cities build on top of cities build on top of cities for a millennia? You get a multi-layered, kilometre-deep crumbling disjointed Escher painting of ruins. At some points there are wide open halls, derelict parked space craft and deserted streets; all with the duracrete ceiling of the level above. At others there is barely room to squeeze your body through. And what lives down here this deep?

The Galactic Space port

It's the size of a city. It is fully monitored, cleaned, patrolled, and subsidised by custom fees and docking levies. It is so very clean, has all manner of food, drink, entertainment, hotels, mag-trams, hospital, holonet spots, caff and fume bars. The security take their job seriously. Some may never leave to actually see the city beyond, heck... some may not even find the exit.

Public transport

Some cities have too many people for any ground vehicles... and some even restrict the number of air speeders to keep congestion in the air paths to a tolerable level. That leaves millions of people that need to rely on public transport. Perhaps its mag-trams or elevated rail, vertical antigravity chutes, open slow moving platforms, small autonomous yellow droid operated taxis, or even air dirigible. One thing is consistent, dependent on the work shifts and humdrum cycle of the lower and middle classes, they are either full to bursting or eerily empty.

Junkyard

Now with space being so accessible, there are no more land fills out on the outskirts of bustling cities. Junk ships make the daily trek with their haul to either clutter a scrap planet, or drop into the nearest star or black hole (although there are safety concerns with the last two). That said, there still needs to be a place for these trawlers of trash to pick up city's refuse. If you're looking to scavenge something between the cubed stacks of junk, or wish to make a body truly disappear forever, or even if you're just looking to play a game of Sabacc with Earl, the site manager, this is where you should head to.

Just a note about the Cliffside City idea; two of the basic social constructs you mention don't seem to mesh in a couple ways:

1. If the city's don't like each other, because one gets all the sunlight, but the wealthy live farthest *down*, then it would seem that shade is a status symbol, therefore they should *like* not getting the sunlight.
  2. I'm having trouble envisioning a geological formation which would allow sunlight into *one* side of a chasm, but never allow it to fall onto the other side, especially if the walls of the chasm are 10km apart (or is it 10 km *deep*?). Unless of course, the chasm runs parallel to the path of the sun through the sky 'east->west', in which case there would be absolutely no rational reason for one city to dislike another based on the path of the sun through the sky.

Just a note about the Cliffside City idea; two of the basic social constructs you mention don't seem to mesh in a couple ways:

1. If the city's don't like each other, because one gets all the sunlight, but the wealthy live farthest *down*, then it would seem that shade is a status symbol, therefore they should *like* not getting the sunlight.
  2. I'm having trouble envisioning a geological formation which would allow sunlight into *one* side of a chasm, but never allow it to fall onto the other side, especially if the walls of the chasm are 10km apart (or is it 10 km *deep*?). Unless of course, the chasm runs parallel to the path of the sun through the sky 'east->west', in which case there would be absolutely no rational reason for one city to dislike another based on the path of the sun through the sky.

Hahaha... all good points. That's what happens when you go back to edit your imagination's free flow. :)

Here's how it happened: At first it was just a tale of two cities forever apart over a wide chasm. Maybe their hatred is religious (that's pretty easy to understand), maybe its class and economic base, maybe its species, maybe its two separate colony ships, perhaps it happened so long ago the real cause is uncertain, but the enmity remains when two lovers from the different sides fall in love (aaahhhhh) .... and then I thought that if the chasm runs mostly east to west but was very far south or very far north of the equator, even with the change of seasons, one side would mostly be in shadow. And then I remembered some WEG book on planets and the variety of orbits and stellar positions, that could cause all sorts of weird sun positions and planetary movements and then I went and added the admittedly stupid line " They don't like each other, as one receives all the sun while the other is always in shadow. "

:)

Hahaha... all good points. That's what happens when you go back to edit your imagination's free flow. :)

Here's how it happened: At first it was just a tale of two cities forever apart over a wide chasm. Maybe their hatred is religious (that's pretty easy to understand), maybe its class and economic base, maybe its species, maybe its two separate colony ships, perhaps it happened so long ago the real cause is uncertain, but the enmity remains when two lovers from the different sides fall in love (aaahhhhh) .... and then I thought that if the chasm runs mostly east to west but was very far south or very far north of the equator, even with the change of seasons, one side would mostly be in shadow. And then I remembered some WEG book on planets and the variety of orbits and stellar positions, that could cause all sorts of weird sun positions and planetary movements and then I went and added the admittedly stupid line " They don't like each other, as one receives all the sun while the other is always in shadow. "

:)

Ok, so we're dealing with the classic ' star-bellied sneetches ' problem. One group are 'sun-dwellers' and the others are 'shade-dwellers', with the actual facts of the dispute burried so far in the past, and under so much age-old myth, misinformation, and politics that nobody *really* knows why they don't like that other city, they just *don't*. (And don't you forget it!)

Sounds like you need to frequent a higher-class joint. :P

I wish. My wife won't let me enjoy myself like I used too before we got married. Now I just stare wistfully as i drive past now.