Talisman - Digital Edition

By Nomad_Carl, in Talisman

Cross platform multiplayer is already working.

Indeed it is!

@Nomad_Carl

Glad to hear about the Sacred Pool and City Expansion due out sometime this year.

Played a game of Talisman DE with 1 AI (gypsy) and 2 Live Players(myself as the Genie - then Druid - yeah I died; and a friend of mine as the Alchemist). We had the Dungeon and Highland Expansions in play with Random Characters and Random Ending. The game was AWESOME! A true nail-biter right up to the end. I made it to the Crown of Command and the ending was Battle Royal. The AI nearly beat me until I won a battle and then keep up the pummeling with craft and won the game.

I have the Table top version with most of the expansions (minus Deep Realms and the forthcoming Harbinger), but DE has made it very easy to get a game together. Thanks for making this and staying true to the original board game!

Sounds very similar to a game I had online last night. Very close right to the end!

Glad you like it and thanks for your support!

I originally set him to 1 fate because I thought he didn't need as much fate as other characters because of his evade ability, therefore less combat. The feedback after his release was that this was too low, with him being neutral and trickier to replenish, and lots of people wanted him to go up to 3 fate. I compromised and had it set to 2 instead.

You can't be serious? I'm sorry but man was this character ever playtested? The Ninja can in effect jusmp in the dungeon straight away pick his battles because he can evade in pc and battle have a huge -3 when he does battle. Wait until he gets around 12+ str which is not hard given he has the huge -3 ss. and kill the LoD because "his strike works on him too" jump to coc win most of the time... Ok ok it will take 20 turns or so but if the other players don't do something he's there unless he gets unlucky (very bad draws) or (very bad rolls).

The thing is the evade all enemies thats the killer craft enemies can in effect be ignored and the no followers is ok bad but meh he does not need them at all.. And you say feedback was he had "not enough fate" geeeeez seriously look at a fate of 0 or just 3 lives.

At the mo its all on to the Ninja if anyone picks him (with the warlock too but at least he has more chance of being unlucky).

The ninja is very similar to the troll except he has farther to go before being able to clear mines (granted, less of an issue w alternate endings) and cant use followers. the ability to evade does not outweigh those disadvantages. Ninja is en par with the troll, both are strong characters, but OP? dont be silly

Ninja does need 1 fate though not 2!

Back in January you were asking for him to have 2 fate.

Hey guys, I'm new here, and new to the game. I have the Talisman Digital Edition through both Steam (playing on a Mac) and the App Store on my iPhone. I noticed that the multiplayer seems to be cross-platform, but I was wondering if the player profiles are as well?

In other words, I just completed my first full (single player) game on the computer, and I'd love to carry over the Runestones, achievement progress, etc. to my phone, but I'm not sure how.

Any insight would be great! :)

Thanks!

wrip

Ninja does need 1 fate though not 2!

Don't get me started.....

Hey guys, I'm new here, and new to the game. I have the Talisman Digital Edition through both Steam (playing on a Mac) and the App Store on my iPhone. I noticed that the multiplayer seems to be cross-platform, but I was wondering if the player profiles are as well?

In other words, I just completed my first full (single player) game on the computer, and I'd love to carry over the Runestones, achievement progress, etc. to my phone, but I'm not sure how.

Any insight would be great! :)

Thanks!

wrip

The profiles don't carry across to each platform, so they are separate. To include a feature like this requires a separate server with your account/progress details on it and they're expensive and costly to maintain with regards to security and stability, so we just use the platform's native account system.

Hope this helps.

Carl

Sacred Pool is live, along with some updates to the overall game play. Started a game with just the sacred pool expansion. I was playing the Knight and the other player used the Shape Shifter. We're on turn 32 and it's been fun so far - with both of us having died and then res'd back as our character's back again (Knight and Shape Shifter rather than random), and we're playing hidden ending.

Though I have the dead tree version, I have yet to try out the Sacred Pool, so this was a first. Lots of alignment stuff in it, which is cool. From what I've seen of the updates, you can highlight anyplace on the board now and zoom in. If you don't have the strength or might be killed it seems to highlight those spaces red, not for cards on them only the spaces, i.e. the other player was down to one life and Sentinel was highlighted red as she only had 2 strength. I also like the save slot option, very cool.

Sacred Pool is live, along with some updates to the overall game play. Started a game with just the sacred pool expansion. I was playing the Knight and the other player used the Shape Shifter. We're on turn 32 and it's been fun so far - with both of us having died and then res'd back as our character's back again (Knight and Shape Shifter rather than random), and we're playing hidden ending.

Though I have the dead tree version, I have yet to try out the Sacred Pool, so this was a first. Lots of alignment stuff in it, which is cool. From what I've seen of the updates, you can highlight anyplace on the board now and zoom in. If you don't have the strength or might be killed it seems to highlight those spaces red, not for cards on them only the spaces, i.e. the other player was down to one life and Sentinel was highlighted red as she only had 2 strength. I also like the save slot option, very cool.

Glad you're enjoying it!

The spaces past the Sentinel glowing red has always been a feature of our game, it's just to signify that you will have to have a fight to move to those spaces, and it only happens when moving past the Sentinel.

Hello, Carl! Loved the first game with the Sacred Pool I shared with my daughter this morning. It's also fantastic to see the multiple game slot feature live; so nice!

Is there a way to download the improved graphics and sounds file? Some of the images seem quite grainy since the last big update, but I haven't been prompted (either on my Note 4 phone or Samsung Tab 10.1) to upload them.

Thanks always for the great play experiences!

Hello, Carl! Loved the first game with the Sacred Pool I shared with my daughter this morning. It's also fantastic to see the multiple game slot feature live; so nice!

Is there a way to download the improved graphics and sounds file? Some of the images seem quite grainy since the last big update, but I haven't been prompted (either on my Note 4 phone or Samsung Tab 10.1) to upload them.

Thanks always for the great play experiences!

Glad you're enjoying it! I love hearing of people playing Talisman with their kids.

If you click on the settings (wrench) icon on the top-left of the screen, then choose Advanced Options, you should see an option called 'Check for updates'. Tap that, then completely close down the game and reload it. It should ask you if you want to download the hi-res data. Say yes and then reboot when it's finished to see the difference.

Hope this helps.

Carl

Saw over at Talisman Island and the Nomad Games Page a couple of announcements for you digital edition players. A 6 player update for DE and it appears the City Expansion will be coming out in a few weeks. As the announcement was almost a month ago, could we dare say, any day now?

Here is the blurb of the Steam Annoucement posted by "jaxon [developer] Aug 28 @ 4:41am"

Today is Nomad Games' 4th birthday, and we're celebrating it by making a small announcement.

We've been secretly beavering away on a much-request feature for Talisman - 6 player support!

6-player mode will be included in The City update in a few weeks, giving you more Talisman than you can possibly imagine.

To accommodate 6 players, we've had to give the UI an overhaul, which we will reveal in a week or two. We hope you like it.

Having an extra 2 players changes the feel of the game quite dramatically, with more targets for spells, more danger around every corner, players less spread out across regions and more chance of having the Reaper land on you! The beta group will get their hands on this soon.

It's been an exciting four years for us and we have some very exciting things lined up for next year. Talisman: Digital Edition will have been on Steam for 2 years this October, and we'll be running a very special competition to coincide with that, which owners of the physical game won't want to miss!

On the steam forums we got "Some time in October as long as things keep staying at the current pace" also to be released around the same time are the Jester character and the Goblin Shaman.

After that it's been mentioned we -may- get Deep Realms or Nether Realms followed by Blood Moon.

From there it has not been mentioned what we will get, but I'm hoping it's two Christmas characters and another character contest, the first one was pretty awesome and the Shaman turned out to be a really good character.

Talisman: The City Expansion Video

Saw the video over on the steam forum and figured I'd link it here. Though it says available now (13 October 2015 at the time of this posting) still nothing yet on Steam...

Looking forward to this! :)

Huge update today!

The City expansion has been added, plus the maximum number of players has increased to 6.

PC and Android available now, iOS shortly.

Anyone else having problem getting the new City update to load? It shows in my library as installed, but does not load. Also is seem to have killed my 4 player version too.

It's about a week I can't find anyone playing online. It seems strange to me, since the multiplayer platform used to be quite crowded, at least the European section.

Has anyone of you experienced the same issue? I own the iOs version of Talisman Digital

It's about a week I can't find anyone playing online. It seems strange to me, since the multiplayer platform used to be quite crowded, at least the European section.

Has anyone of you experienced the same issue? I own the iOs version of Talisman Digital

The cross-platform multiplayer isn't working for iOS at the moment. We released it in this state anyway so that iOS owners could at least get playing with The City, but another submission is in review with Apple now which will turn the cross-platform multiplayer back on, so it should just be a few days before you can see lots of games again.

Thank you for the update.

I haven't often enough time to play Talisman online. But now and then I really appreciate it :)

I'm glad to listen that the issue will be soon fixed.

I'm really enjoying Talisman DE on my Android tablet. But there are two really annoying things I hope will be fixed in a future update.

One is the automatic camera zoom. I am so sick and tired of it always zooming out to the max when to show available moves into outer regions. This is totally unnecessary, because all available space moves are still visible on the medium camera zoom view (regardless of region). Would it be possible to make a game settings option to lock camera zoom? I always use the medium zoom, and don't want it continuously zooming out automatically to the maximum view.

The other annoying problem is the player's bottom center tab always defaults back to the 'card' view. It really should stay on the 'i' view by default. I want to see each game board space's info during other players' turns. But since it defaults back to the 'card' view, one has to continuously tap the 'i' tab view. This becomes very tiring. Again, perhaps a default tab view could be added as an option in game settings.

Thanks for listening, and keep up the great work. :)

Glad you're enjoying the game!

We have tried to make it so that the camera won't move unless the roll result is off the screen, whereby you would have to see the glowing space off-screen. It happens more often with the Reaper in play. We have tweaked the camera many times over the last year, to the point where the code is actually quite delicate and difficult to get right, but I'll look into adding a 'stick to the medium zoom level and don't change it' option.

The active tab in the play area at the bottom only changes to the 'usable cards' tab if you have a glowing card which can be used. It won't do it otherwise. This behaviour was only added because lots of people didn't even realise (because they didn't read the tutorial) that you can switch the tabs and use cards from there, so some players were going into their inventory, tapping a card to view it and then tapping again to use it. I can see why this might be annoying if you know you don't want to use the usable card you have at the time, but it can be very useful for timing-specific cards like Immobility or Preservation.

We have two styles of presentation, depending on the size of your screen. For screen sizes smaller than about 7inches, there wasn't enough room on the cards to show the text, so the text moved down the bottom on the 'i' tab. For screens over 7inches, the text fits on the cards and in the advanced options there is an option called 'Auto-switch tabs in Play Area'. Un-ticking this stops the auto-switching from happening.

So, for larger screens, this auto-switching can be turned off, and for smaller screens it can't. We could stop the auto-switching on smaller screens by default, but there are possibly lots of players that find it very useful and they might then contact us asking why we changed it. It's a tricky situation! What size screen is your Android tablet?

Carl

Thank you for your reply, Carl. My Android tablet is a large Lenovo Yoga 2 13.3" running the latest Android v5.01. The option you mentioned, 'Auto-switch tabs in Play Area' , is not available in the options for my game. Are you sure the Android version of Talisman has this option?

Regarding the camera, I really hope you can add an option to the Android version to lock the camera zoom to medium. Constantly having to tap the magnifying glass button each time to zoom back in to medium view grows tiresome. :)

Edited by MM965

It also zooms in whenever someone encounters a place card that emulates another space on the board and remains zoomed in afterwards.

Season pass Was going for £13 (around 70%) off for around 30 minutes, before some cruel member of the Steam staff changed it %50, still it's on offer till 29th January if anyone is interested.