READ THIS FIRST! Frequently asked questions about EotE

By player266669, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

There are no rules for delaying actions and similar in this game system. Personally, if anyone were so eager to stick together that they'd have to move and re-engage every turn I'd just skip the part about spending a manoeuvre to engage. One of them moves up to, say, medium range on his turn, and then the other follows and does the exact same thing on his turn, ending up at Engaged range from one another at the end.

I was just thinking there are obvious reasons why characters would want to move and remain engaged (Bodyguard talent, medical care, short-ranged Force powers)

I was just thinking there are obvious reasons why characters would want to move and remain engaged (Bodyguard talent, medical care, short-ranged Force powers)

I would consider it a “flavor” thing in my game, and if both parties said that they wanted to stay at “Engaged” range throughout their respective moves, so long as they started and ended at the same relative distance, then I would allow them to be at Engaged range throughout.

But your GM might feel differently.

With talents like Bodyguard there's no mechanical reason for the two to stay together. The initial Bodyguard manoeuvre stays in effect until the character's next turn; they can run in completely opposite directions and the effect will still last until the character acts again. Of course, if they want to continue applying it they'd need to re-engage every so often.

I want to add because it seems to me that maybe you missed it, but there is no need to "engage" friendly characters. The engagement rules are made for combat or hostile situation where engaging or disengaging might mean you might get hit by melee (this simulates the attacks of opportunity from DnD). So in this case, if both your characters want to move to the same place then there is no need in another maneuver to engage. If what you meant is being engaged for other talents then yeah, there are none, but as suggested there is no reason not to interpret it as if staying engaged.

OK, here's another question and follow-up question, I just asked and got a very quick response from Sam on:

On Feb 12, 2017, at 2:21 PM, Tramp Graphics Wrote Rules Question:
I've got a quick (or not so quick) question regarding Battle Meditation, namely about an aspect of the power, as it was originally conceived, that the version in F&D lacks; namely the ability to turn enemies against one another. This, of course is what we see Nomi Sunrider do in the original Tales of the Jedi comics, to first save her daughter from a pair of Hssiss, and later drive off a band of pirates. In the orgininal WEG suppliment for TotJ, this aspect was one of two ways to use Battle Meditation, In the D20 game, it was a Force Skill called Battle Influence which required the Battle Meditation Feat to use. So the question how do I accomplish this aspect of Battle meditation in this system and why wasn't it included as an upgrade for the actual Battle Meditation power?
Sam Stewart Responded:
This sounds like a function of the Influence power, and I would use Influence to accomplish it.
Hope this helps!
Sam Stewart
RPG Manager
Fantasy Flight Games

Follow up:

On Feb 12, 2017, at 2:37 PM, T ramp Graphics wrote:

OK, how? What upgrades would you use since there is no vocalizations, Nomi just visualizes her enemies fighting one another and moments later that visualization becomes reality.
Sam Stewart Wrote:
I would suggest you use the Influence control upgrade that allows you to manipulate the emotions of others to incite them into rage against their friends. Some of this is also up to your GM, of course, and as always, it may have unexpected consequences in gameplay!
Also, keep in mind that there is a great deal of material in the Legends portion of Star Wars concerning things people can or cannot do with the Force. Some of it may not be covered because there is simply too much material to realistically represent in a single game (even an extensive one). Some of it may also not be represented because it’s Legends, and no longer accurately represents Star Wars canon. However, if there’s something that you wish to accomplish in your game that the rules don’t enable, bring it up with your GM! I’m sure the two of you can work out a mutually agreeable solution that’ll let you and your group have fun at the table.
Hope this helps!

are there any major differences as far as rules are concerned between the three games? Or can I just get one rule book and go with just adventures for the other 2?

EOTE concentrates on the scum of the universe, bringing the "Obligation" rule,

AOR concentrates on the Alliance Soldiers bringing the "Duty" rule,

FND concentrates on Forcys bringing in the "Morality" Rule,

go with what ever setting you and your Players like the most,

Just keep in mind if you players want to be "wanna-be jedis" you should go with FND, since the other two only have a very small access to the powers and gear they'll need.

AOR and EOTE can be interchanged quite a lot (it is easy to argument why a Rebellion commando is up to the neck in a crime lord buisness, or why a smuggler helps the Rebellion as a frontline fighter.)

of course every kind of hero can go on any adventure [Luke was a farmboy (EOTE) became an Pilot and Commander (AOR) and was in the end the "last" jedi (FND)] but you can#t really build up a relevant force sensitiv most people expect (with his own Lightsaber, reflecting and parrying and all that) without the FnD rules/ classes.

Only EotE has the starfighter defense rule.

Only EotE has the one roll combat resolution rules.

Only FaD has a character creation method that doesn't require you to take on something bad (Obligation) or give up something good (Duty) to get the +10 starting xp that most characters want.

How do you get +10 XP without taking something bad or losing something good?

1 hour ago, Yaccarus said:

How do you get +10 XP without taking something bad or losing something good?

Through play

You can do that in Edge and Age. The post above my OP said that you could get +10 character creation XP in Force without increasing something bad or decreasing something good.

Edited by Yaccarus
21 minutes ago, Yaccarus said:

You can do that in Edge and Age. The post above my OP said that you could get +10 character creation XP in Force without increasing something bad or decreasing something good.

Morality as a mechanic has three main options: +30 Morality, starting you at the cusp of being a Paragon; -30 Morality, starting you at the cusp of being a dark sider; and +10 xp. There's also the common "+5 xp and some credits" option, as well as the "no xp and a LOT of credits" option.

So they're likely referencing the +10 xp Morality option. It's important to note, though, that all these options are meant to be equal, and are essentially free; you don't take additional burdens on like you do to select a similar option for Obligation or Duty, every character with a Morality just gets one of those things.

Edited by Absol197
4 hours ago, Absol197 said:

Morality as a mechanic has three main options: +30 Morality, starting you at the cusp of being a Paragon; -30 Morality, starting you at the cusp of being a dark sider; and +10 xp. There's also the common "+5 xp and some credits" option, as well as the "no xp and a LOT of credits" option.

So they're likely referencing the +10 xp Morality option. It's important to note, though, that all these options are meant to be equal, and are essentially free; you don't take additional burdens on like you do to select a similar option for Obligation or Duty, every character with a Morality just gets one of those things.

Actually, Absol, its +/- 31 Morality. You can start as a full on Lightside Paragon (71 Morality) or full on Dark Sider (29 Morality).

On 5/4/2018 at 1:05 PM, Tramp Graphics said:

Actually, Absol, its +/- 31 Morality. You can start as a full on Lightside Paragon (71 Morality) or full on Dark Sider (29 Morality).

I'm trying to find something clever to say that would point out your math error without being insulting and I'm coming up empty.... wait I got it " better check your math ": 50+ 21 =71, 50- 21 =29

4 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

I'm trying to find something clever to say that would point out your math error without being insulting and I'm coming up empty.... wait I got it " better check your math ": 50+ 21 =71, 50- 21 =29

:P

Does anyone know if there's been a ruling on the Beginner's Luck talent from Rise of the Separatists, whether you can choose to use it after you've rolled dice? Or do you have to make that choice before rolling?

"When" you make a check is ambiguous to me.

16 minutes ago, DaverWattra said:

Does anyone know if there's been a ruling on the Beginner's Luck talent from Rise of the Separatists, whether you can choose to use it after you've rolled dice? Or do you have to make that choice before rolling?

"When" you make a check is ambiguous to me.

Not sure if there's been an "official" ruling, but these talents always trigger after the fact. Like how you don't declare that you're going to reroll dice until you've rolled them in the first place. Further, if it was intended that you declare your intent before rolling, it would likely be stated as such in the description, like how it is for Clanker Killer.