READ THIS FIRST! Frequently asked questions about EotE

By player266669, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

Official FAQ and Errata is up.

Nice!

I have a question about the stim application talent:

Do successes and advantages count as healing wounds and strain, respectively, when using the talent? Do triumphs remove criticals when using the stim application talent? Are the strain penalties applied, no matter how much is healed?

The Stim Application Talent doesn't heal, it boosts one characteristic and causes strain to the target/recipient of the stim.

A quick question.

I know the galaxy of Star Wars is vast, but has anyone created some creatures for the rpg?

It'd be nice to see stats for creatures like the acklay, wampa, ect.

Above all, this is THE best Star Wars rpg to date. Can't wait for the other two books, Age of Rebellion and Force and Destiny to complete the Star Wars experience.

How do attachments and modifications work, exactly?

.............................. .

If you fail the Mechanics skill roll, you still lose the money and time, and the mod does not get installed. If you generate a despair symbol, you actually break the attachment entirely, rendering it useless.

Am I missing something, or the only way to get despair here is Difficulty upgrade with Destiny Point?

How do attachments and modifications work, exactly?

.............................. .

If you fail the Mechanics skill roll, you still lose the money and time, and the mod does not get installed. If you generate a despair symbol, you actually break the attachment entirely, rendering it useless.

Am I missing something, or the only way to get despair here is Difficulty upgrade with Destiny Point?

By the rules as written, that's correct.

Not sure where to post Dev answers to questions, so I thought here was the best. It'll be great actually if someone created a thread especially for that, or compiled all answers into one huge document.

I asked recently the following to the Devs:

Rule Question:

Hi,

First of all, thank you for such an amazing game. I am a veteran of WFRP3 and I love how the dice system was adapted to the Star Wars universe.

My questions are:

1) Can personal combat maneuvers be doubled and stacked by a character during his turn? What about space combat maneuvers?

For example,

Can "guarded stance" be executed twice?

Can "evasive maneuvers" be executed twice?

2) Can "evasive maneuvers" and "stay on target" be executed by a Pilot during the same turn?

3) Are Co-pilot meant to be able to execute all the Pilot Only maneuvers?

For example, a Pilot executes fly/drive, then the Co-pilot executes fly/drive as well. The ship will however gets 2 strains.

In my games, I have ruled YES to all those questions as I prefer more options, but I am curious as how it was designed.

Thank you in advance

--

And I got the following answer:

Hello Mr. _____,

Thanks for your kind words, we really appreciate it. I'm glad you're enjoying the game!

Now, on to your questions:

1. Yes, in some cases personal and space combat maneuvers can be "stacked." There are, of course, certain limitations (PCs must obtain the additional maneuver by suffering strain or downgrading their action, and starships must be below a certain silhouette and must suffer system strain). Also, it depends on the maneuver. However, in the cases you list, both can be stacked.

2. Yes, although that's quite tricky flying! In practice, performing both maneuvers basically keeps the odds of success or failure roughly the same (within a few percentage points of original odds of success, discounting other factors), while heightening the chance for a Triumph or Despair.

3. No. Pilot Only means that the person flying the ship is the only one who can do it. That's not the co-pilot (if he was flying, he'd be the pilot, after all).

Hope that helps!

Sam Stewart

Senior RPG Producer

Fantasy Flight Games

The information contained in this electronic message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient named above. If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Edited by Ceodryn

Can a Side Step and Dodge talents be used while in a vehicle?

That's the whole point of rpgs. You create your own stories while adhering to the rules. I'm currently writing an adventure that involves the "graveyard".

I'm not sure if this question was asked previously, but why is Knowledge (Lore) not a career skill for the Scholar?

I'm not sure if this question was asked previously, but why is Knowledge (Lore) not a career skill for the Scholar?

Because not everything can be a career skill for everyone. Lore is a skill that deals with (ancient) history, while Scholar is a specialization that doesn't necessarily focus on things in the past - it can just as easily be a natural sciences-type character. The Archaeologist specialization, however, comes with Knowledge (Lore) as a career skill, as it logically should.

Yeah, but Knowledge (Underworld) is a career skill for scholars. I get that not all scholars have to be the academic type focusing on literature and history, but Lore still seems a whole lot more applicable than a study of drug cartels.

Yeah, but Knowledge (Underworld) is a career skill for scholars. I get that not all scholars have to be the academic type focusing on literature and history, but Lore still seems a whole lot more applicable than a study of drug cartels.

Indeed it does. It would also allow Scholars to start with 2 ranks in K(Edu) before spending experience points, which I think is a good thing.

Scholar is not alone in having odd skill choices though. If you want to change them, just work with the GM on house rules until it feels right.

Looking at it again, it appears that the developers spread all of the Knowledge skills across Colonist and Scholar so that a player character could tap into every type of knowledge field. However, as you said, it seems more in keeping with the spirit of the Scholar that he/she would specialize in a specific field. So I would probably work with the player or GM to customize a skill-set that allowed 2 starting ranks in Education and maybe 2 starting ranks in one other knowledge field, such as Xenology or Lore.

I feel like I should point out that the Tinkerer talent gives Shock Gloves (from the Core Rulebook) enough HP to use the Weighted Head mod. Weighted Head can be used with bludgeoning Brawl weapons as well as Melee.

I did not see this question but wanted to get some clarification... When a personal weapon (say a Heavy Blaster) has a damage of say 7 but a vehicle weapon (say a Turret Mounted Medium Laser Cannon) has a damage of 6, are these damages meant to be the same? I do not recall finding that stated in the book and was curious how some ruled on this or treated this? Like if someone uses a Heavy blaster vs a ship or a ship's weapon vs people in a field. I would greatly appreciate a response, and if it is in the book and I missed it (I have all current books and supplements) please let me know book and page. Thanks.

I did not see this question but wanted to get some clarification... When a personal weapon (say a Heavy Blaster) has a damage of say 7 but a vehicle weapon (say a Turret Mounted Medium Laser Cannon) has a damage of 6, are these damages meant to be the same? I do not recall finding that stated in the book and was curious how some ruled on this or treated this? Like if someone uses a Heavy blaster vs a ship or a ship's weapon vs people in a field. I would greatly appreciate a response, and if it is in the book and I missed it (I have all current books and supplements) please let me know book and page. Thanks.

I don't have a page number for you, but Vehicle-scale weapons do 10 times the damage of personal scale weapons. Armor also soaks 10 times the damage. So a turret mounted medium laser cannon would actually deal 60 damage to a person. And your Heavy Blaster would need to deal 10+ damage to make it through 1 point of armor on a vehicle.

p. 224 EoE CRB gray box

I don't have a page number for you, but Vehicle-scale weapons do 10 times the damage of personal scale weapons. Armor also soaks 10 times the damage. So a turret mounted medium laser cannon would actually deal 60 damage to a person. And your Heavy Blaster would need to deal 10+ damage to make it through 1 point of armor on a vehicle.

Which is also why Lightsabers having Breach 1 is so powerful. That's a Vehicle scale 1, which means it cuts through 10 points of personal armor, or 1 point of vehicular armor.

Hi everyone,

Just a noob question i think, but i'm not sure to have a good understanding of the minions' skills rule.

I understand that Minions have to be in group to use the skills listed listed under their profiles. But i'm not sure of the rank of these skills when the minions are in group.

Does it mean that the rank is one, whether this is a group of 2 or more? Or that the rank equal the number of persons in the group?

Sorry for the noob question and the english level, as you know, we french, are terrible for languages! ;)

Welcome at the board!

Don´t worry we all started small, once upon a time

Minions only have Skills when they are grouped together.

The Skill will be as high as the total numbers of minions minus one, with a maximum of 5

So you´ll need at least 2 minions to have a skill rank of 1

A group of 3 minions has theire skills on rank 2

4 minions = rank 3

5 minion = rank 4

6 minions = rank 5

10 minions = rank 5

20 minions = rank 5

and so on.

if the number of minions is reduced by any means the rank also goes down.

So if 5 minion use a rank of 4 and two get killed, the remaining only camn use theire skills on rank 2 further more.

a minon group with 2 Agility and skill in Ranged(light) will have an minimum attack with 2 green dice (when no group only one enemy) and a maximum attack pool of 2 yellow and 3 green (for any group size 6+)

Edited by Nightone

Can engaged characters move together? I can't find any provision for this in the rules, but it seems like it ought to be allowed just common sensically.

I was thinking that if Joe and Bob are engaged, and Bob takes his turn after Joe, Joe ought to be able to put off his maneuver until Bob's initiative slot comes around so that he moves with Bob. Otherwise you'd have to waste a maneuver re-engaging every time a pair of engaged allies wanted to leave their current location, which seems weird to me.