Is the game dying?

By ZombieTonyBlair, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

The pricey days are still here gentleman. I too have just gotten out of MTG due to I don't make 90 grand a year. So i have sold all my stuff and got a full set of the Star Wars LCG and Netrunner. Also i now have 2 of each large ship for X-Wing.

Ok, so a couple months ago I found ONE of my old Pro-Tour MtG decks that had somehow been packed away when we moved overseas rather than sold with the rest of my collection. I sold it to coolstuffinc.com. With the money and credit I got, I purchased 4 of every X-Wing Miniature released to date, Zombicide with all of its expansions (about $300), a full competitive set of Netrunner (3 Core plus everything else), and a full set of Star Wars LCG (2 core, 2 EoD plus one of everything else, total $172). I still have about $600 in credit at coolstuff, and cashed a check from them for $641. When I sold my collection and got out of MtG (about 10 years ago), I had enough money to buy a car with cash, and put a down payment on my house. And this was a deck I played so rarely (because it wasn't all that competitive) that I forgot I had it and left it in storage for a decade.

So yes, this game is easier on the wallet.

Good luck duplicating that success when you "cash out" of this game.

LCG are not games you "Cash Out" of because they are not the ponzi sceme that CCGs are.

They are fun games based on Skill and deck building is on and even floor not the person who can buy the best deck

Sadly, the already small player base here (EU) appears to be dwindling.

3 people signed up to the Store Championships and we have but two of those in the country.

(As opposed to X-Wing, which have had 5-6)

Edited by Keffisch

I don't think it's dieing. Local metas definitely need a kick to get people attending, I'm hoping heroes and legends does that. Our local store has a subscription service for LCGs and we get a good 5-7 weekly for our game night. On Wednesday I picked up H&L and saw the subscription pile, well over 20 people subscribed. We just need to figure out how to get them all there weekly!

I think a lot of it comes down to logistics, like several people have said. I just don't have time to go to my LGS every week anymore, unfortunately. That's the way it is for lots of folks.

...over twelve months later... do you still feel that the game is not dying?

It's not at all. In the last twelve months we have added 8 new players with more trying to join in but unable to get all the sets they want.

There was no reason really to necro this thread at all.

While this is my first card game of any kind and it won't be me first choice in gaming time, it's definitely a fun game to play and I expect to play it for years to come.

I got into it because I saw some people playing it and they were kind enough to allow me to play.

Edited by Reiryc

Both my brother & I have purchased 2 Core, 2 Edge of Darkness, plus one of every other packs and deluxe editions. We also brought more so we can make 2 Jedi and 2 Sith competitive decks. I know this game isn't as popular as Netrunner, but it's Star Wars and we love the universe and the feeling of being immersed in this world. However, there's some balance issue now (MTFBWY being OP), and the Jedi decks are helping the LS win way more than DS. I hope the devs will address this problem sooner rather than later.

Edited by Star Lord

We would have doubled the attendance from last years Regionals (4 players of which 3 were foreigners) at this years Regionals if 1 player hadn't dropped off in the last minute. Plus at least 4 additional "regulars" were unable to attend due to other obligations. We even managed to get the guy who just recently won the Core set in a raffle to join in on the fun and I think he will return for more fun

My gaming buddies and I are planning to make a further effort to expose the game by sitting in for a couple of games, possibly 2 v 2 at one of the FLGS during their Saturday open hours and lure people to the game. And we're also hosting the Nationals so hopefully the players from a bit further away will also come out from under the floor panels and have fun

I cannot speak for anyone else's community or situation but it was interesting to find out that there was 134 less players this Regionals season so far compared to last year's. This, of course, is only focusing on the competitive play in the United States and not abroad and it only focused on the competitive play. We have absolutely no clue the amount of players there are that play it casually, we only have the competitive scene to go off of in terms of whether we are gaining or losing players.

I cannot speak for anyone else's community or situation but it was interesting to find out that there was 134 less players this Regionals season so far compared to last year's. This, of course, is only focusing on the competitive play in the United States and not abroad and it only focused on the competitive play. We have absolutely no clue the amount of players there are that play it casually, we only have the competitive scene to go off of in terms of whether we are gaining or losing players.

Are you sure of this ? Yodaman states attendance seems to be on par for now, and should be at the end of season at this rate, perhaps will end up a little higher with a bit of luck : http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/22429-regional-attendance/page-2#entry179641

Here in france there was an important drop during winter, at least in my region, but competitive play attendance seems to be pretty much on par with last year (stores and regionals), perhaps a bit better.

I'll calculate stats end of season.

I don't think the game is dying.

Sure, maybe it's not growing as explosively as some other games, but I get the feeling that those who start playing it, stick with it.

It's certainly a breath of fresh air compared to the many "only for deep pockets" card games out there.

Last Sunday, I played in the Dutch regionals in Tilburg (mostly players from the south of the Netherlands, some Belgians) and we had 15 players.

And seeing that this is neer the exam period for several players, I hope to get some extra players warmed up during the summer (planning a summer league with two season boxes) so next regionals will be even more players.

Sure, maybe it's not growing as explosively as some other games, but I get the feeling that those who start playing it, stick with it.

Consider Last Minute Rescue. The set has made very little impact despite having a very strong card in Force Rejuvenation. The idea is that you could play it for that card, but to really make an objective set shine, you need to find ways to synergize as much of each set's contents with one another as possible, which is often a challenge. That's a nice tradeoff, in that powerful effects are balanced by appearing in sets that are more difficult to fit into a cohesive deck. But with The Survivors, you now have a noticeably stronger set that boasts its own copy of Force Rejuvenation, and I can see no case for running Last Minute Rescue over it. The Bespin Exchange is similarly pointless to run in lieu of "No Disintegrations," as opposed to as a supplement to that set (so you can put Mandalorian Armor on the better Boba). In You Must Go is only seeing play because of its non-Yoda tools supplementing the far better Yodas that have come since. And so forth.

Ultimately, I don't see as much care being put into this game's development as I feel it deserves, and my appreciation for it is suffering as a result.

I actually like Bespin Exchange more than No Disintegrations in the current meta.

I actually like Bespin Exchange more than No Disintegrations in the current meta.

:)

Core set has always had interesting options. Flip put Cruel Interrogations back on the map

I never understood why it was ever off the map. "I'd like to attack this turn, but first I'll just make sure they don't have a Twist of Fate to use."

Well, based on the obnoxiously quick sell-out of Star Wars LCG tickets at the World Championship Weekend, I'd say the game has a future yet.

EDIT: Bazinga

Edited by MarthWMaster

I'd have to say that in my area, the game is . . . anemic. I know there are players, because every time I go past the FFG shelves in my local game store, there's a different amount of SWLCG stuff. But the reason--in my mind, at least--that less-organized play at stores doesn't really happen is due to three things. The first is Magic: The Gathering. The second is Android: Netrunner.

Lastly, the third is that guy that shows up to pretty much every organized play event, wipes the floor with everyone and is a total prick about everything. You know the guy. He's the kind of guy that is beating you to death, and has a totally apathetic attitude toward it all. He takes it for granted that he's going to win. You'd reach across the table and punch him if it was socially acceptable, and not many people would get upset about it.

But the worst part about 'that guy' is that when you are trying to bring in a new player, an experience like that is going to be absolutely toxic. I know that if my first experience had been against that guy at that one store, I probably would play a lot less than I do. So, as I cite to my kids all the time, remember Rule Zero: Don't be a jerk. But that's my two cents.

I hope not, I just got into it haha, I'll never stop playing this awesome game. :)