Is the game dying?

By ZombieTonyBlair, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

New force pack released yesterday, and the only spoilers I can find are some text copied off facebook? And basically no one talking about the new cards? Last force pack there was a lot of excitement on these boards.

This site isn't the best place for SWLCG info, oddly enough.

ZombieTonyBlair said:

New force pack released yesterday, and the only spoilers I can find are some text copied off facebook? And basically no one talking about the new cards? Last force pack there was a lot of excitement on these boards.

I dont think so. The game is growing in my area. I think a lot of it has to do with the cryptic release schedule FFG follows and now that Regionals are effectively over (after this weekend anyway), the desire to have early information about the packs is diminished.

I'd bet when more of Edge of Darkness gets spoiled the frenzy will return, since that will be a drastic and important change to the game.

There is picture spoilers on Facebook too. We have them on Table Flip courtesy miniature market and card game DB has scans by Karrde. These boards tend to be hard to access often so most talk has moved to other sites like CGDB.

I think the game is growing. This forum is just really bad/slow. Check out cardgamedb.com for good discussion on the game.

Game is growing, I expect a surge of new players with the realase of the "edge of darkness" expansion it should pull in a good sized group. (i know lots of ppl on the edge) Its just a bad forum really, Cardgame DB has a great forum BGG has bad forums in my opinion but a good community for most of its games.

The game is growing IMO.

Also go to Boardgamegeek for more info on this game... and other games while your at it. :)

There are some great videos of this game posted by people on the geek.

When the Balance of the Force drops, there will be a huge number of players picking it up for the 2v2 and 1v3 games.

I was teaching the game to two people at once last night and one person asked me is there a better way to play 1v2.

Come on FFG people are salivating for multiplayer games.

its certainly not dying. when FFG is putting re-prints out pretty much constantly on the packs, that means they are selling out of the product. will it catch on like magic? i wish, but prolly not, too many idiots love magic too much to give their wallets a break and go with a game that has so much more to offer for much less cash and guess work.

It would take a miracle for one of FFG's games to catch on like Magic. I wish that one would, but I don't see it happening soon.

Last Friday I stopped into a FLGS to grab some various supplies, and saw more people there for FNM than play in FFG Regionals/Worlds...

It isn't uncommon for even suburban game stores to draw in 25-50 people for Friday Night Magic Events. Magic is still huge.

Having played Magic for a long time, I understand the hesitancy to switch to a new game. Many people have been playing for a long time and have a ton of cards, so they don't want to start over with new games. Plus, as I mentioned, the community for Magic is just so much bigger. It is easy to find games, tournaments, etc.

One can walk into a game store on a random Friday night and find many people playing Magic.

I am a long time Magic player (since 1994) and discovered Star Wars LCG in August ... Haven't played magic since ;)

The game is growing in my neck of the woods. I have held two intro parties and have given out 3 core sets as gifts (and plan to do more). It is much more interesting and more enjoyable than Magic IMO (not to mention much less expensive to be competitive). I hope it grows alot more! I'm doing my part. :)

smiley32.gif smiley32.gif smiley32.gif

I think the game is growing slowly. Unfortunately, my small group has sort of separated the real players from the sometimers ...

My group is just me. At least everyone in my group gets along though. :D

That is a good thing!

its certainly not dying. when FFG is putting re-prints out pretty much constantly on the packs, that means they are selling out of the product. will it catch on like magic? i wish, but prolly not, too many idiots love magic too much to give their wallets a break and go with a game that has so much more to offer for much less cash and guess work.

I'm not a fan of Magic by any stretch, but playing this game doesn't "give wallets a break." Then entry point for this game is about $100 (MSRP), and the price just goes up with each new box. Sure, you can get expansion packs for less than the price of five boosters, but smart players don't spend money on boosters. They buy singles on the cheap, and trade or draft for the rares they want. Plus cards have secondary market value. The opposite is true in lcgs. So there's no chance of trading or reselling cards to replenish funds for new cards.

You spend a lot more on CCGs trying to get those money rares.

True, I still have cards for MTG but I do love playing LCGs for many reasons. And yes when playing standard you needa lot of money to be competitive.

I'm not a fan of Magic by any stretch, but playing this game doesn't "give wallets a break." Then entry point for this game is about $100 (MSRP), and the price just goes up with each new box. Sure, you can get expansion packs for less than the price of five boosters, but smart players don't spend money on boosters. They buy singles on the cheap, and trade or draft for the rares they want. Plus cards have secondary market value. The opposite is true in lcgs. So there's no chance of trading or reselling cards to replenish funds for new cards.

Yes you can likely play some single competitive deck for slightly less then the current catalog of the SWLCG. But then you have one deck, as opposed to every card in the game.

Edited by ScottieATF

Did we really need to resurrect this thread?

As far as price comparison goes, you can probably get every card in this game for the cost of a single competitive MtG deck (unless the cost of a good mana base has come dramatically down in the year or so since I last played MtG). After that, it's certainly easier and cheaper to stay "current" with the LCG model than the TCG model. And again, that's to be able to build any deck you'd like versus having a single competitive deck.

This game in its entirety (thus far) actually costs less than all but the cheapest of competitive MTG decks that I have seen. And the cheapest ones aren't really that competitive.

I'm pretty sure the game costs less the the mana base of the most expensive MtG deck I ever assembled (Wolf Run Ramp), not to mention the rest of the deck. At the time, the sum of the median values for the cards in the deck came out to several hundred dollars.

Ok, so a couple months ago I found ONE of my old Pro-Tour MtG decks that had somehow been packed away when we moved overseas rather than sold with the rest of my collection. I sold it to coolstuffinc.com. With the money and credit I got, I purchased 4 of every X-Wing Miniature released to date, Zombicide with all of its expansions (about $300), a full competitive set of Netrunner (3 Core plus everything else), and a full set of Star Wars LCG (2 core, 2 EoD plus one of everything else, total $172). I still have about $600 in credit at coolstuff, and cashed a check from them for $641. When I sold my collection and got out of MtG (about 10 years ago), I had enough money to buy a car with cash, and put a down payment on my house. And this was a deck I played so rarely (because it wasn't all that competitive) that I forgot I had it and left it in storage for a decade.

So yes, this game is easier on the wallet.

Edited by KineticOperator

^ great example hehe.

I too remember the pricy days of playing MtG, not to mention WH40K *shudder*.