Heros as command section

By player1540319, in Dust Warfare Rules Discussion

If I choose a hero as my coomand section, may I also put him in a unit or does he have to work alone?

you may put him with a unit but it has to be from the same platoon that he is leading.

Can heroes join command section units? i.e ozz joining the corps officer

MarcOfTheCross said:

Yes.

There are arguments to be made both for and against it though. Adding a Hero makes the unit tougher, but having a Hero who may not be in the thick of things can be wasteful, in a way. A hero, and any unit he is with, can always receive orders no matter the distance from the command squad or the presence of a radio. This can be a big help if the need for orders arises.

Depending on scenario and play style the usefulness of a Hero + Command Squad can go either way.

MarcOfTheCross said:

Yes, however Ozz is not a legal choice for joining with the Corp officers. Heros must match the armor class and move value to join a unit.

got it. thanks eveyone!

Dakkon426: "Yes, however Ozz is not a legal choice for joining with the Corp officers. Heros must match the armor class and move value to join a unit."

I have a friend who is doing this too.

But doesn't OZZ 117 have the same armor and move as the Elite Platoon's Heavy Ranger Command Squad "Corps Officers"? I'm confused. Also, where in the rulebook is this fully eplained? I went to page 54. I see rules that say you can lead a Platoon with a Leader Hero, but I don't see words that say you can Have a Hero with the Leader characteristic joing a Command Section. The way it sounds its either or but nothing says you can have both? I'm new so, maybe I'm misunderstanding some wording. Which is odd because I find the rest of the rules explained so well in this book. Thanks for any help regarding this.

Ozz has movement characteristic of 12 while Corps Officers have 6, so he can´t join them.

Every hero (right armour rate, same movement characteristic, no superhuman and doesn´t have the flight rule) can join any unit (even command section units) due to normal rules for joining units.

If a hero was chosen as a command section due to his Leader special ability, he can only join a squad of his platoon, which then becomes the command section of its platoon. A leadership hero and a specific command section unit (e.g. Sturmpioniere, Corps Officers, Hell Boys, The Boss, Red Guard Command Squad) can´t lead the same platoon.

Heh heh okay, in my book it says OZZ 117 has a move of 6. What the? Then I started to wonder if maybe that was a misprint since, you guys talk as if he doesn't. So, I took a guess and went to the FAQ and sure enough, it was a misprint. He is suppose to have a move of 12 not 6. Remember now, I'm new to the game and wouldn't have known that was a printing error.

So, OZZ 117 can't lead the Platoon if the Heavy Ranger Command Squad is leading the Platoon because he has a different Move.

But let's say I'm making an Assault Platoon. I've bought the "Hell Boys" Ranger Attack Squad for my Command Section. Can I also buy Johnny One-Eye? Or is it a rule that, if I buy Johnny One-Eye I can't take the Ranger Attack Squad? The comments at the beginning of the thread led me to think the answer was that you could take both the Ranger Attack Squad and Johnny One-Eye….and also have Johnny One-Eye join the Ranger Attack Squad. If the answer is "no you can't do that"…then my second question is, can I buy the Ranger Attack Squad, then buy Johnny One-Eye and have him just be a normal Hero in my Platoon without using his Leadership ability? Like he's just there being a Hero. The wording says "An Assault Platoon may be lead by…" The word "may" is making me get the impression that its optional.

Thank you for any help with clearing this up for me.

But let's say I'm making an Assault Platoon. I've bought the "Hell Boys" Ranger Attack Squad for my Command Section. Can I also buy Johnny One-Eye?

Of course.

can I buy the Ranger Attack Squad, then buy Johnny One-Eye and have him just be a normal Hero in my Platoon without using his Leadership ability? Like he's just there being a Hero. The wording says "An Assault Platoon may be lead by…" The word "may" is making me get the impression that its optional.

Thank you for any help with clearing this up for me.

Yes.

Either buy a hero on its own and he can join any possible unit of your army or buying him as a command section due to his Leader special ability, but then you are not allowed to buy Hell Boys or similar units for the same platoon.