The 40k Art of Adam Schumpert (Acolyte AES)

By DocIII, in Fan Art

Fallen Psyker

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it

He can taste your dreams.
They are delicious

Arbitrator Canas Vimes of the Divisio Immoralis

A cop is a cop is a cop...
...even in the 41st millenium. Walking a beat, taking a break out of the wind to light up a smoke. Living hard on the mean streets (um, tunnels, or, er, tubes...whatever)

****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Since my brother keeps planning on posting some of his art up here, but never gets around to it, I decided to help out a put up a bit of it for him. As it is his work I will only be posting things he's already put up elsewhere.

To see more check out his website at: adam.schumperts.com/

The Faithful:

Battlefield Chaplain

Militiant Sororitas

Servant of the Omnissiah

Nice work I especially liked the inquisitor/ Accolyte (Not Sure what he is but he looks good)

Nice work indeed. Like the Slaaneshi psyker especially.

Could I ask you what you use for colouration? Im getting pretty sick of just drawing in the traditional sense and im thinking of going through the ardous task of learning photoshop or paintshop or something, in order to grant my illustrations a little colour. Any recommendations on what to begin with would be nice. :)

Pius XIII said:

Nice work I especially liked the inquisitor/ Accolyte (Not Sure what he is but he looks good)

If you're talking about that last picture of the guy with the rosary and the scar, that was Adam's pic of his PC in one of the campaigns I am running. The scar wasn't in the original pic, but Adam added it after his character took a chainsword to the head.

DocIII said:

this is quite nice.

is there a colored version, maybe?

Varnias Tybalt - I use photoshop for most all of my artwork. At the moment I'm really trying to teach myself as much as I can about digital illustration and there are lots of good programs out there. Corel Painter is good program also but so far I've found that PS works best for me. My old pictures where done in PS 7 with a mouse my newer stuff has been done in PS CS3 on a Wacom digital tablet (which is a really awesome piece of equipment if you are trying to work on your artwork digitally)

Flervk - I havn't gotten around to coloring that one yet but I'll post it up if I do find the time. :)

Well... I've been working on a few character pictures for my brother DocIII's current campaign and I was planning on posting them all at once but it's taking me a bit longer to get them done than I thought. Also I thought it might be nice to put up something new since the rest of these have been out here for awhile. For anyone who has read any of DocIII's posts about his campaign this is the character picture I've been working on for Varn . Hopefully I'll post up the other two acolytes soon. Hope you like him.

Varnsmall.jpg

Take Care,

Acolyte AES

Adam Schumpert

If it will fit, here's the full sized version so you take take in the details.

This is exactly why I always lean on my brother to do illustrations for my RPGs

Varn J. Varn

Varnmed.jpg

Seconded to the Inquisition from the 3rd Duskan Raiders.

A big man with a big axe.

Well ****, it shrank some in the posting. Guess I should have known Adam knew what he was doing by posting the smaller version.

As the person that plays as Varn... I'm speachless.

The drawing is badass.

I can't wait to see the other ones you talked about.

(edit)If you coppy the big picture you get the uncropped version, it's only the forum window that cuts it off.

My idea of what Varn looked like were completely off target, it seems. Not that this has any bearing on how awesome the illustration of him is, of course. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the cell in ink.

Acolyte, your PS skillz have skyrocketed since you last posted your work. Looks like you've been workin' hard. Your colors have almost caught up with the strength of your pencil work, which is considerable. I'm psyched to see what else you've been working on.

AES, I would completely agree with Ripper here. That piece of Varn that you're working on is light years ahead of your older work in the color/execution department!

I've loved your pencil work since one of your pieces was first posted back on the old old boards and you are just getting better. You're pencil work has always been amazingly strong but I've always felt that your coloring of them detracted from them as opposed to adding to them. The uncolored psyker has been my favorite from you for some time because of the strong pencil work. The other pieces i always felt would be much stronger if you hadn't colored them at all. It's like you took an incredibly strong penciled piece and turned it into a mediocre colored pice. The fact that you were using a mouse to do that is some what evident ;-)

That said, your new direction (with a tablet and a less air brushy more painterly approach) is much much better! A tablet really dose make all the difference in the world. The distinctive "brush" marks on him are great, especially the highlights. The drawing under the "paint" is, of course, fantastic, as usual. It's just that finally it seems that your application of colored elements might finally be coming close to matching up to your skill with the pencil!

And, just for the record, i had always envisioned Varn's face to be roughly what you had produced. Heck, i knew you had to be painting Varn before I had even read anything about the pic posted. Great work!

Oh, and on Painter, I hated the program when I fist got it preferring PS to it. However, due to a few things it could do that PS couldn't, I eventually learned to live with it and stuck to it. Now, a couple of years latter, i can honistly say that i really can't paint in any other program but Painter. It has a ***** of a learning curve but once you get comfortable with it, you'll never want anything else (unless it's for color/photo corrections of course ;-) )

Ouch, really good stuff there. I have to agree with the others in you improvment when it comes to CG. Give us more!

Wow thank you everyone for the responses. I've been putting a lot of time into my art recently, and it's always nice to get positive feedback. I was hoping to have another one of these wacky characters finished by now but that’s how it goes I guess. Well just so this doesn't go stale and to help me get more into the habit regularly posting my work, here is the line work for Eisen. Its still rough but I'll post the finished image soon.

Eisensmall.jpg

Take care,

Adam

Acolyte AES

Ok that's odd. I'm sure I wrote a post... oh well lets try again.

Thank you all for the responses. I've been spending a lot of time recently trying to improve upon my digital art skills, and it is always nice to get positive feedback. I was hoping to have the other Acolytes for DocIII's game finished by now but thats how it goes I guess. Anyway for now so that this thread doesn't go stale and to help me get in the habit of regularly posting my work, here is the line work for Eisen. Sorry it is still a bit rough but I will post the finished piece soon.

Eisensmall.jpg

Take care,

Adam

[ Acolyte AES =][= ]

You have nailed the posture which I think is the hardest thing to do. If there is something it is that he looks a bit overweight around the chin and neck, at least when you compare it to the slim body.

Ok once again I am sorry about taking so long to post. I've got a lot of things going on atm. Also sadly I don't have any finished pictures to show this time, but I am working on it. For now I have a few headshots I'm working on.

The first is for the painted version of the picture of Eisen, then the line art for a portrait of Luc DuCassius, and finally a new npc Inquisitor Sulladan Prynne. Please forgive the unfinished state of these I promise I am working on these in full color and full body images similar to Varn's.

Isenhs.jpg

DuCassius%20copyhs.jpg

inquisitorhs.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Take care,

Adam Schumpert

Holy frack! You trully have a gift for constructing some trully characterful faces! Those are amazing!

O.o stunned for 1d5 rounds

You are **** awesome.

Bump,

pics seem to have gone missing in action - any chance for a repost OP? Judging by the website I imagine they look quite good :)

Hmmm thanks for the bump, Nihilius, I'm not sure why some of the pics have stopped showing up ... I am working on my website so that might be why but I didn't think I had changed any of the older pics? <shrug>

Well instead of reposting the old pics I will post up some of the work I've been doing recently... :)

first a color version of the picture of Isen from above

Isenhs%20color2.jpg

Then something totally brand new gran_risa.gif .... She's back... hehe

sisterofbattlesm.jpg

My plan is to go through the older pics and redraw the characters from them. I will be posting some more new line drawings as soon as I can.

If you want to see the older ones, I am currently working on my art website and when its done I will have a link to an online sketchbook which will have the older images in it as so as I get the website up and running I will post a link here.

Take care,

Adam Schumpert ( Acolyte AES =][= )