Getting rid of hitpoints - ideas?

By stanmons, in WFRP House Rules

I've toyed around with an idea of not using hitpoints at all. Wound card system holds some promise of not having to rely on points at all but..

What if damage would be defined as DMG vs. WT / MONSTER HITPOINTS? Similarly like opposed skill tests with less than half, half, more than half, equal, more than etc.

This would in turn define how many wound cards are inflicted, all critical with their impact affect gameplay. # of TO of wound cards and you are dead.

Did not model this yet but wanted to get your opinion about it?

I just hate counting down monster HP from 30 down etc

With all new innovative concepts of WHFRP 3rd edition, hit point systems seems soooo legacy and out of place.

Technically, there are no "hit points." You don't have some pool that counts down in this game. You gain wounds, and when you have enough you go unconscious. It's just counting up instead of down, but it should be mentioned.

I don't really get the alternative you are proposing. On the surface, it seems like it would just add another die roll (and the chance for a successful hit to do no "damage"). I don't see the benefit except for not being "legacy" (although, most games out there still have some sort of HP system. Even FATE and Burning Wheel make use of the mechanic.).

True but essentially it is a hit point system.

I would like all wounds to be face up i.e. critical. This means inflicting a wound or more wound have to be based on ratio of damage : toughness. I don't suggest a die roll but simply referring to the ratio.

Since Doc has brought it up, you may give a look to the wound system of The Burning Wheel. It does not use hit points, only an abstract wound system that you may find appealing. From what I have read in your post, it is in line with your idea. I have not thought on how to implement it using the wound cards, but by using the severity number shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers,

Yepes

Thanks for the tip!

Also FATE makes a system where you take concequences, i love it but my player don't, Well 3/5 don't…so we play by wfrp….