Priest's equivalent of magical sight

By Emirikol, in WFRP House Rules

Im looking for ideas on this concept. Priests also manipulate the winds of magic. What should their magical sight be like?

jh

Hi Jay,

I think within the setting most cults like to believe that their miracles are divine and not the same as those crazy-dangerous wizards, any priest who could use magical sight may be treading dangerously close to some heretical unification theory? Some of the cults (Verena, Morr?) have blessings that help them identify things, though not with such a universal application as mag sight.

Mechanically I would prob allow a priest to aquire Magical Sight out of career for 4 exp, but I think priests already have lots of advantages over wizards (armour, chaos star effects, etc) so keeping the more scientific approach within the colleges kinda balances that I think…

Given that priests do not "consciously" manipulate the winds of magic, one may argue if they can use the magical sight. Nontheless, the Omens and Portents priest think they get from their deities can be thought as a form of magical sight.

Cheers,

Yepes

Hi, a group of my friends and I have just started playing WFRP 3e about 3-4 weeks ago and I am currently rolling a initiate of sigmar.

I also pondered that type of action or skill for the priest and I figured out something that may work.

Divine Sight: (not really stuck on the name but I thought it fitting) Is a Piety cast, maybe cost only 2-3 favor. 1 success you can detect Taint/Chaos in an area. 4 success you can pinpoint its origin. or something like that.

So basically it would work to sense or feel an aura of chaos/taint/(maybe even dark magic) in an area. So lets say you come upon a mansion, cast the blessing and you can sense its there but may not be able to sense its origin unless you succeed well enough.

I figured it would be a Piety(WP) check since you could resist the effective of Chaos on you and warn other party members. I would say this would be a rank 2 blessing.

Thoughts?

Hi Zonekiller,

Welcome to WFRP3!

Sigmars Light is a rank 3 blessing that displays corruption in npcs within line of sight, that covers a fair amount of what you seem to be aiming for?

Hope that helps…

Thank you!

And yes I think that pretty much sums up what I would be looking for. Our group unfortunately does not have access to rank 3 spells or careers because I guess we do not have the expansion that has those nor do we have the players guide book… which we really need to get.

Well then I guess back unto the topic of magic sight for priests. Not having read to much of the lore except what is provided in the core set. It seems to me that priest would not be adapt at detecting magic at all, except if it involves Chaos. Which would make sense that they have an ability to see if an NPC or PC is corrupted by Chaos which IMO is more valiable for stories and Adventures because it can allow you to effectively find a key NPC very early on where without it, you would find out to late. But I think that wizards having the ability of magical sight is something unique to that type of career. So allowing priests to have magical sight or a version of takes away the uniqeness of the Wizard career. Just like it is uniqe to priests to see if an NPC or PC is affected by Chaos.

I'm with the "priests don't know they use magic, manipulte winds, so obviously don't have magical sight" (because they don't know what they're really doing). We had lots of fun at my table with the wizard sometimes asking if he could counterspell blessings or similarly interact with them as if they were "magic" and the priest asking him what sort of blasphemy he was peddling (the players got into that part of the canon very ably).

If priests had any "sense", I think it it would be more a "corruption sense", an ability to sense Dhar, undead and corruption such as gives rise to mutation etc.

However giving them a "sense" to do this would then mean they could reliably do it. I don't like that idea because I prefer my priests and witch hunters to "just know" (because they know in their hearts, or claim to) who is a mutant or witch using Dhar rather than have any mechanically accurate way of determining it.

Now, you might have the odd "seer" (like the woman in novel Beasts in Velvet), ironically someone with magical sight by way of the mutation….

Mechanically, a priest could spend non-career advances to get the magical sight skill, "believing it a gift" of this sort, when really it makes them exactly what they would be sending to the pyre if it was someone else….

Rob

I see Tome of Salvation has a bit about this (2nd ed.). It's not an evaluation to the same depth as a wizard, but could probably be used.

What I usually lean towards for Zealots, Mystics and Priests is OMENS (see omens rules as well as the advanced omens rules in Liber Fanatica 7). Our Morr priest decided to go the route of the Augurs. This will be the 3rd character of this player that deals with Omens & Portents (the other two having been witch and mystic). Should be fairly easy, as the Augurs of Morr get their omens as much through dreams.

jh

What i would suggest, is that priest could hardly (2 challenge, maybe three) sense exclusively the touch of their god (the wind asociated) on a person, dhar wind and corruption, and that´s it. So, although a wizard can distinctively see the winds of magic, a priest could see a light on a npc or place, or darkness in them, instead of the actual veil of colors that the winds could place.