Winter Child Close Combat Rules

By IceCreep, in Dust Warfare Rules Discussion

Hi guys,

Got a question while using Winter Child. Does he have to be on the ground to attack infantry units? Or even if he is flying he still gets to attack them? i couldn't find anything about it on the rules.

Thanks!

I don't think there is actually anything about this in the rules.

As it stands, from what I can see, he can attack without landing. Cheesy, yes, but its RAW. Permissive ruleset and all that.

However, not sure anyone will play it that way since it makes not much sense, excluding a Superman swooping style attack thing. So, hopefully this gets resolved soon.

That was exactly what I was thinking. I thought this was going to be on the new FAQ.

Dakkon426 said:

I don't think there is actually anything about this in the rules.

There is actually a mention of this in the FAQ, though it's not specific to Winter Child. FAQ 1.4, page 4 column 2 third question:

Q: Can a Close Co mbat Attack Action target units high above (or below) an attacking unit?

A: Yes, in Dust Warfare ranges are measured horizontally to make accurate measurement easier. This means that the 3” range on attacks with Close Combat weapons technically has no vertical limit.

The FAQ goes on to suggest that players MAY disallow what they deem unrealistic, and advise Tournament Organizers to rule on this matter before the event starts so no one is surprised.

Rules as written and FAQ'd, yes he can.

Yes, but the rules state that the WC have to be flying in order to use his fists agaist a flying aircraft. So, there is some limitations on the vertical range of those close combat weapons. Should we asume the same for ground targets while flying? Don't you think there's a little bit of a contradiction in the rules?

IceCreep said:

Yes, but the rules state that the WC have to be flying in order to use his fists agaist a flying aircraft. So, there is some limitations on the vertical range of those close combat weapons. Should we asume the same for ground targets while flying? Don't you think there's a little bit of a contradiction in the rules?

Unfortunately, assumptions != rules. We cannot assume the game designers intended anything other than what we have in the book and supplements. While I may think the Karl Marx is overpriced and that Tesla weapons should have the Laser and Burst rules because they do in Tactics, the book does not say that. I can only go by what's there. Anything else is just my opinion.

As pointed out, there is always the idea of the swooping attack where Winter Child is coming down long enough and just low enough to smack someone on the ground. Just because he has to fly to attack flying targets doesn't mean he has to land to attack ground targets, so no I really don't see the contradiction.

Hello Jason,
You recently asked a question about Dust Warfare:
Rule Question:
Hey guys,
Got a question while using Winter Child. Does he have to be on the ground to attack infantry units? Or even if he is flying he still gets to attack them? i couldn't find anything about it on the rules.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
If Winter Child is flying, he cannot use Close Combat attacks against ground units. He can, however, use Close Combat attacks against other flying Soldier units or Aircraft units at High altitude.
If Winter Child is landed, he cannot use Close Combat attacks against flying Soldier units or Aircraft units at High altitude. He can, however, use Close Combat attacks against ground units normally.
I hope this has answered your question. Happy Gaming!
Zach Tewalthomas
Assoc. Miniatures Games Producer
Fantasy Flight Games

Well that settles that. Thanks for emailing, blkdymnd!