FAQ Questions - Got any new questions guys?

By Toothless_Night_Fury, in Talisman Rules Questions

Please post them here!

Ell.

Here are some of the recent questions that happens across the Talisman forums

Minstrel Question

Can a other player use the mesmerise spell card on a animal follower from the Minstrel. If so, what will happen with that animal. Will he become a normal enemie again and must you (the other player who steals it) place the card on his space?

---------

Genie

Still waiting for the Genie answer

Some people think that if you ditch the genie and another player will pick the genie up, that the genie will get 3 new spells again.

i can't believe that this is the meaning of the genie.

My thoughts about the Genie( maybe FF can think about this)

If you ditch the genie, you must discard his spells. Because he has no spells, you must discard the genie as stated onthe card. Is this what FF want? Or make FF a exception for this and you may put the spells under the card of the genie?

--------

Move on Crown of Command question

Because you can encounter a character on the Crown of Command, does this mean you are actually moving on the Crown of Command?

You can only have encounters if you land on a character or on the place. Because you have encounters on the crown, people are thinking, that you actually land on the crown, and if you can use the ability from the thief or sorceress etc.

Does this mean that you can also pick up a item at the crown instead of fighting.

----------

Questions about the Cerberus card.

Must you treat the Cerberus the same as the Centinel (Place on the portal artwork space)( That means if you can move on one turn if succesful through the portal of power by defeating Cerberus or is the Cerberus only a enemie card that must be place on the draw space.

Can the Assassin really use his ability on an Enemy card he has just drawn as this would mean that even at the start of the game he can defeat a lot of the Enemies without even rolling?

Geoff

Cidervampire:

I can answer you that.

The assassin may only assassinate if you attack a enemie, and not if you are attacked.

Enemie Cards that you drawn are attacking you. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I hope this helps gui%C3%B1o.gif

Velhart said:

Cidervampire:

I can answer you that.

The assassin may only assassinate if you attack a enemie, and not if you are attacked.

Enemie Cards that you drawn are attacking you. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I hope this helps gui%C3%B1o.gif

Actually that's wrong as far as the current state is. I've never played it the "new" way though, nor do I plan on doing so.

I think it's not wrong, because if you draw a enemie, then you are attacked by the enemie, and the assassin may only use his ability if he attack a enemie gui%C3%B1o.gif

Quote from the Assassin thread over on Boardgamegeek, where someone posted an official response from FFG after emailing them with a rules question:

"Rule Question:
1) Does the assassin power work only on face-up adventure cards, or on every enemy that he draws.

A: You may assassinate any Enemy card that fights in battle (but not psychic combat) even if the Enemy is already on the board or you just drew it.

Does it work on board elements? (pit fiends, farmer in the tavern, sentinel, etc).

A: Yes. Basically, if you are fighting a battle (but not psychic combat) your opponent does not get to make an attack roll against you. You simply compare your attack score (your attack roll plus your Strength) with the opponent's Strength to determine the winner. Note that if another character chooses to attack you instead of encountering the space that he lands in, you may not assassinate and the characters gets to make an attack roll against you as normal."

It's still weird, and it's not what the card and the manual are actually saying.

If you do it this way, the assassin is too overpowered. I am not agreeding with this. Sorry Dam, no offense ! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Let's use this topic for questions only...

Velhart said:

If you do it this way, the assassin is too overpowered. I am not agreeding with this. Sorry Dam, no offense ! gui%C3%B1o.gif

Let's use this topic for questions only...

No offense taken as I ignore that bit myself, playing the Assassin as only works on already face-up Enemies, not ones you draw.

'kay, enough OT from me, back to the scheduled programming (which could be avoided if these forums had PM system).

These are some of the questions l have asked over time.

lf a Character on the Crown of Command drops a Card on the Space can it be moved to another Space in the Inner Region by a Character casting the Displacement Spell.

Can you use the Trasference Spell on a Character in the Inner Region or the Crown of Command Space if you are in the Inner Region.

If the Prophetess has the Fiend Slayer as a follower when you land on a Draw 1 Card Space & there is already a card there am l right in thinking you would draw another Card as per the Fiend Slayer & if you did not like that Card the Prophetess could discard it & draw another Card.

Can you use the Gust of Wind Spell on a Character in the Inner region or on the Crown of Command Space.

Can the Destruction Spell be used on the Crown of Command if a Character drops an object.

On page 20 of the rules for the Crown of Command it states Characters on the space can not turn back. ( para 2).And (para 4) on page 20 it states even if the Character leaves the Crown of Command space.Are these 2 rules in conflict or are there other ways a Character can leave the Crown of Command space.

Can the Misdirection Spell be cast on a Character in the Inner Region to make them go back a Space & force them to retreat to the Plain of Peril.

Does the Dryad remain in a Space if the Character gets teleported to the Forest Space or is it discarded.

On page 18 of the Rule Book it shows the Sorceress casting the Immobility Spell on the Sentinel, should this be the Invisible Spell.

What happens iIf you are turned into a Toad & you have the Genie still with Spells. Do you leave the Genie on the space you were turned into a Toad together with the 3 Spells? or do you discard the 3 Spells, or Is the Genie discarded with the 3 Spells?

If a Character has the Genie & the Genie casts a Spell at another Character & that Character casts Reflection does the Reflection effect the Character with the Genie or not?

Board Spaces without Draw Card needs the sequence of play to be listed correctly.

On the Druid Character Card the second mention of Runesword is spelt wrong it says Runeword, it has the "s" letter missing.

l know some of the questions have been answered on the forums but these questions keep coming up with new players. Maybe some can be put in the FAQ or a Q&A.

From the Sage thread regarding spell timing.

talismanisland said:

On a serious note, the Sage is fine as he is. Gaining a spell at the start of his turn but unable to cast it until his next turn. It is different to other characters, but that is the point. Not all characters are the same. At least it is better than a character who is unable to gain spells for free...

Endquote.

For balance purposes, I personally tend to agree on the Sage, and do think that it should be clarified because I'm guessing a lot of people are playing it wrong regardless of which way is right. It does severely weaken the sage as a caster, but that feels like a fair enough balance to me (the free fate on movement is nice). From a timing perspective though, I think I'm changing my mind a bit.

This whole thing raises several thorny timing issues. For example, if the start of your turn is a single point in time rather than the span before you move, that suggests that a character who begins his turn with Mesmerism and Divination (both "cast at the start of your turn, before you move" spells) cannot cast both because as soon as one has been cast, the turn's "start" is over. This is simply not correct, as I'll try to demonstrate.

This also suggests a much, much thornier timing issue still. Envision the following:

The Prophetess witnessed the Wizard get a Mesmerism spell in his last turn. The Prophetess is at the Plain of Peril with a Gnome and is on her way to the Crown through the Mines next turn. She knows that her way through is now doomed because the Wizard is going to steal her gnome. She only has the Shatter spell, which is useless in this scenario ("cast on any character at the start of his turn, destroy an object"). The last player's turn ends and the Wizard lifts his Mesmerism card high with a smirk on his face. Wham. Before he can play it, the Prophetess slams Shatter to the table, destroying the Wizard's Water Bottle. "What the heck was that about?" says the clueless guy playing the Warrior. The Wizard casts Mesmerism and the Prophetess is wagging her finger. "What?" the Wizard player asks. "I cast Shatter at the start of your turn," she says, "The Start of your turn has now happened. You cannot cast Mesmerism, read the card." He looks at it and it does say "Cast at the start of your turn, before you move." "But I haven't moved," he says. "Doesn't matter," she replies, and she walks through the Mines with the Gnome, making the Wizard's Mesmerism spell all but useless. All the way to the Crown because she laid her spell down faster than the Wizard could.

Talisman isn't a game of physical reflexes. At least, it shouldn't be. I play with a couple of people who have physical handicaps that would make such reflex issues unfair and in need of house ruling.

For timing, I think I'm starting to read that spell text as an appositive clause that helps us to define what the start of a turn should be. The grammatical structure, I think, supports this.

http://owl.english.purdue.edu/handouts/grammar/g_appos.html

If it is an appositive clause, then "before you move" is the definition of "the start of your turn." I believe the rules support this, which is why I think grammatically, the Sage gets to cast his newly drawn spells. In the rulebook, page 8, it defines the game turn. It says that each player's turn consists of two parts, 1) Movement, and 2) Encounters. There is no mention of a "start" point or "start" phase, suggesting that everything that happens before the character's movement is lumped together, and that the character's turn has not yet started until the movement commences. In other words, if there is a specific "turn start point," it is actually after the upkeep business of the Sage's draw and the casting of such things as Mesmerism and Divination.

The primary support for this idea that the "start phase" is anything that happens prior to moving is on the rear cover of the manual. At the very top, above "Move," it says "If you wish to cast any Spells that must be cast before moving, do so now." There are many such spells, and all of them that must be cast before moving also refer to being cast "at the start" of the turn. If doing something, anything, ended the "start" of your turn, that phrase would be singular rather than plural, saying "If you wish to cast a Spell that must be cast before moving..." Since the flowchart clearly indicates that multiple spells can be cast during this time, any single action, spell, Sage draw, or even ditching an object or follower (at any time) doesn't end the "start phase." According to the flowchart, the only thing that can signal the end of this phase is Movement (or theoretically, someone else's Sleep or Immobility spell).

I think in many ways this would be the most sensible way to play, since it would cover several other potential timing issues as well. Imagine I cast Mesmerism at the start of my turn, then you cast Counterspell, then I cast Counterspell on yours. The spells go off in last to first order (otherwise counterspell wouldn't have any effect). My counterspell goes off. Your counterspell fizzles. Then my Mesmerism fizzles. Why? Because before it went off, two other effects have been resolved, so it's now no longer the turn's "start." By having the large box at the flowchart's top as a Start Phase, I think we solve many of these problems.

And as an odd but on-topic note, it would completely change the Sage's spelldrawing. Without errata, if he draws Mesmerism, he can immediately cast it (it's his start phase and he has a spell, so he might as well cast it). Then he has no spells and it's still his start phase... so he can draw another using his card's ability. It's still the start phase, he still has a single spell, he's already cast one, so he can't cast this one until the next player's start phase at the earliest (rules, page 13). If this seems ridiculously powerful, realize that every other caster can do this at any time during every single turn, not just during the start phase.

I'd say that what we need moving forward are a turn "Beginning," a point in time as the revered talismanisland suggests, and some type of "start phase" in which pre-movement spells and abilities can be used. Even then, the Sage will have to be clarified, as will the reference on page 13 that states the max number you can cast is equal to the number you "had" at the start of that turn, since the Sage's (as far as I can think of) is the only ability that grants you a first spell during that period. My recommendation for turn structure would play things out for the Sage essentially as talismanisland suggests, albeit with some other rules clarifications.

Overall suggestion:

Split the turn into 5 major segments.

1) Beginning Point (no actions may be taken, looked at to determine # of castable spells and ending limited duration events like Blizzard, Slow Motion)
2) Start Phase (casting Divinations, Shatters, Sage card Draw, ditching followers and objects, etc.)
3) Move
4) Encounters
5) End of turn business (end Immobility, object ditching, etc.)

1. Riding Horse and Reaper - If you use the Horse does it mean that you

a) Can't move the Reaper as you can't throw a total of 1 , or

b) Move the Reaper if either die roll is a 1

2. Riding Horse and Magic Carpet. Can you -

a) Not use the carpet as you are on a horse

b) use the carpet if your dice total is 6

c) use the carpet if either die roll is a 6

Scenario: The evil (Rolled a 1 at the Mystic) Minstrel, who has a lion animal follower, the dark unicorn follower, and the staff of Mastery with a Demon mastered, is turned into a slimy little toad. The wizard plays next, and lands on that space where he dropped his items/followers.

a) Is the Demon still mastered, does it go to the discard pile, or does the wizard now fight him?

b) Is the dark unicorn still a follower, or does it revert to an enemy spirt? If the demon must be fought, I supposed its a craft battle vs. 17 craft?

c) Is the lion now an enemy-animal that must be defeated, or does the lion go to the discard pile?

Gonad the Ballbarian said:

Scenario: The evil (Rolled a 1 at the Mystic) Minstrel, who has a lion animal follower, the dark unicorn follower, and the staff of Mastery with a Demon mastered, is turned into a slimy little toad. The wizard plays next, and lands on that space where he dropped his items/followers.

a) Is the Demon still mastered, does it go to the discard pile, or does the wizard now fight him?

b) Is the dark unicorn still a follower, or does it revert to an enemy spirt? If the demon must be fought, I supposed its a craft battle vs. 17 craft?

c) Is the lion now an enemy-animal that must be defeated, or does the lion go to the discard pile?

1) The Wizard lands on the space.

2) The first card he must encounter is the Lion which has reverted to being an Enemy Animal.

3) If he defeats it, he must then encounter the Black Unicorn which has reverted to being an Enemy Spirit.

4) If he defeats it, he may take it as a Follower if he so wishes.

5) Finally he may take the Staff of Mastery which still controls the Demon. The Wizard does not need to fight the Demon.

6) Turn ends.

My nitpick trait kicked in, so have to ask if you can use Staff of Mastery or the spell Dominate to grab a Spirit? Both cards say Enemy, but also only talk about said enemy adding it's Strength to yours for one battle.

I have another question about the Assassin.

If you read the character card and the manual, you can only use your assasinate ability if you attack a enemie and not if you are attacked,

BUT, what happens if you come on a draw 2 space and there is already one strength enemie, and you draw another card, and it's another strength enemie.

If you follow the rules, you can only assassinate the creature that is already laying on the board because you can attack it, but because you must combined the strength with the enemy that you have just draw, then it would be weird if you can assassinate him too. What will happen now?

Velhart said:

Does this mean that you can also pick up a item at the crown instead of fighting.

This one is covered I think. The rules say that if there are one or more other characters on the Crown of Command, then you MUST encounter one of them. Therefore you can not pick up cards instead of fighting.

Also, the 1.3 FAQ says that you are landing on the Crown of Command each turn for the purposes of picking up items, which means that you can pick them up if you're there alone.

talismanamsilat said:

Gonad the Ballbarian said:

1) The Wizard lands on the space.

2) The first card he must encounter is the Lion which has reverted to being an Enemy Animal.

3) If he defeats it, he must then encounter the Black Unicorn which has reverted to being an Enemy Spirit.

4) If he defeats it, he may take it as a Follower if he so wishes.

5) Finally he may take the Staff of Mastery which still controls the Demon. The Wizard does not need to fight the Demon.

6) Turn ends.

Just realised that you said you had the Demon enslaved. You cannot enslave an Enemy Spirit with the Staff, it must be an Enemy Animal, Dragon or Monster!

Dam said:

My nitpick trait kicked in, so have to ask if you can use Staff of Mastery or the spell Dominate to grab a Spirit? Both cards say Enemy, but also only talk about said enemy adding it's Strength to yours for one battle.

I am also very much interested in an answer to Dan's question (above), it happen to me just yesterday that we had a discussion around the Talisman table how we are going to play these items' skills (Staff of Mastery or the spell Dominate), and agreed that you can only capture enemies with strength, but personally I think if it says enemy means all that oppose you so it should include spirits. I would be happy if one of the cards creators could answer this what was the original purpose of the card when he was creating it, because it seems to me to be a kind of spelling mistake, that resulted in a logic conflict.

Cheers.

How is an encounter handled when you draw two enemies that combine strength, and one of them has a special ability?

h0bbit said:

How is an encounter handled when you draw two enemies that combine strength, and one of them has a special ability?

It's depending what the ability says..

------

I still hope that my Assassin question came through from another post.

l have a few more questions which may have been asked before, l tried searching the forum but it was hopeless.

1) lf you use the Riding Horse for movement & roll 2 dice does it affect the Reaper if one of the dice rolled is a one.

2) lf you have the Golden Statue placed inside the Concealed Pouch do you have to give it to another Character if they defeat you.

3) lf the Cerberus is on the Portal of Power & you want to go to the Plain of Peril do you stop & fight the Cerberus on the Portal of Power & if you beat it can you continue moving to the Plain of Peril in the same turn or does your turn end.

4) l had 3 Enemy Monsters on one space to fight, conbined Strength 14, the problem was how to deal with this combat. l drew the Giant, Trapper & Stone Giant. the Giant was normal, the Stone Golem l could not use a normal weapon against it & the Trapper it is possible to Evade. lf l have a normal Weapon can l use it against the other two, how do l deal with the Trapper.

5) l had the Druid Staff which allows you to change Alignment, the same as the Druid special ability, there is no problem with the Druid Character as he is Neutral Alignment, but if you are Good or Evil & use the Staff to change to Neutral there is no Alignment card for Neutral so how do you keep track of your Characters Alignment.

l hope you can understand all of these questions OK.

alboy said:

Q: lf you use the Riding Horse to roll 2 dice for your movement, can you move the Reaper if one of the dice rolled is a 1?

A: No. As you roll 2 dice and add the scores together for your total movement.

Q: lf you have the Golden Statue stored inside the Concealed Pouch, do you have to give it to another Character if they defeat you in battle or psychic combat?

A: No. The effects of the Concealed Pouch override the effects of the Golden Statue, as the Concealed Pouch's effect indicates that a character cannot perform the action of taking the Golden Statue (page 15, Can Vs Cannot sub-heading).

Q: lf Cerberus is on the Portal of Power do you have to land exactly on the space to be able to fight him?

A: Yes. You may only fight Cerberus by landing exactly on the Portal of Power. If you defeat Cerberus, you may attempt to open the Portal of Power on the following turn.

Q: lf you draw the Giant, Stone Golem and Trapper on the same space, how do you handle the encounter?

A: You must roll 2 dice to see whether or not you may evade the Trapper. If you decide to evade the Trapper, you must fight a 12 Strength battle against the Giant and Stone Golem without using a Weapon , unless it is a Magic Object. If you have to fight the Trapper, you must fight a 14 Strength battle against all 3 Enemies without using a Weapon , unless it is a Magic Object and you may not roll a die for your attack roll.

Q: lf you use the Druid Staff to change your alignment to neutral, how do you show this alignment change to other characters?

A: When you use the Druid Staff to change your alignment, place an alignment change card on top of the Druid Staff to show whether you are good or evil. If you are neutral just remove the card and place it to one side until it is required again.

talismanamsilat said:

alboy said:

Q: lf you use the Riding Horse to roll 2 dice for your movement, can you move the Reaper if one of the dice rolled is a 1?

A: No. As you roll 2 dice and add the scores together for your total movement.

Q: lf you have the Golden Statue stored inside the Concealed Pouch, do you have to give it to another Character if they defeat you in battle or psychic combat?

A: No. The effects of the Concealed Pouch override the effects of the Golden Statue, as the Concealed Pouch's effect indicates that a character cannot perform the action of taking the Golden Statue (page 15, Can Vs Cannot sub-heading).

Q: lf Cerberus is on the Portal of Power do you have to land exactly on the space to be able to fight him?

A: Yes. You may only fight Cerberus by landing exactly on the Portal of Power. If you defeat Cerberus, you may attempt to open the Portal of Power on the following turn.

Q: lf you draw the Giant, Stone Golem and Trapper on the same space, how do you handle the encounter?

A: You must roll 2 dice to see whether or not you may evade the Trapper. If you decide to evade the Trapper, you must fight a 12 Strength battle against the Giant and Stone Golem without using a Weapon , unless it is a Magic Object. If you have to fight the Trapper, you must fight a 14 Strength battle against all 3 Enemies without using a Weapon , unless it is a Magic Object and you may not roll a die for your attack roll.

Q: lf you use the Druid Staff to change your alignment to neutral, how do you show this alignment change to other characters?

A: When you use the Druid Staff to change your alignment, place an alignment change card on top of the Druid Staff to show whether you are good or evil. If you are neutral just remove the card and place it to one side until it is required again.

Talismansilat:

What do you mean exactly with the druid staff.

I see what allboy means.

The problem is: there are no neutral alignment cards. So if someone is good and want to changed to neutral, then you can't show it with a card..

Maybe i must write it on a piece of paper...

If the Druid Staff does not have an alignment change card placed on top of it, this means that you are a neutral character. If the Druid Staff does have an alignment change card on top of it, this means that you are either good or evil depending upon which side of the card is faceup.

Ell.